d5000 and the sb600

cindygillespie

<p>Okay... I am new to all of this (having to go back 20 years to the 35mm thinking got to use to the point and shoots in the past 10 years) ergo... I need a bit of a lesson please.<br>

I have the D5000 kit lens 18-55, 35mm and the 55-200mm. I just purchased a SB600 and have been playing a bit with it... so far love it....being able to bounce the flash to fill is awesome. <br>

Here's my question... when I am in A, P or S I noticed that the ISO is constantly flashing... WHY? What I am not doing properly?<br>

Seems that I can't change the ISO to get it to stop either. So, I know that I am missing something here. </p>

<p>Thanks so very much for your time and efforts in helping me once again.</p>

<p>ISO on the back of the camera? in viewfinder? both? Sounds like auto ISO to me, but that does NOT happen on my D90, so I'm not sure. Is it creating a problem? In addition, for a few bucks you can get something like the Sto-Fen diffuser for that flash and you will like it even BETTER!</p>

<p>For flash photography, especially indoors, I would definitely avoid the P mode; S can be problematic also. M will give you the most control indoors; as long as your subjects do not have a lot of motion, I would suggest using something like 1/30 sec to let ambient light contribute to your overall exposure and perhaps brighten up your background.</p>

<p>On the back of the camera... It was Auto ISO duh... sorry. It wasn't creating a problem but, I just wanted to know why. It just didn't seem right in my mind. Thanks. <br>

And YES I ordered the Sto-Fen diffuser today. <br>

I have an event shoot to do on Friday and it took forever for my flash to get here and not much time to play with it to ensure quality. If you have any tips on this it would be most appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks again !!!!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you have any tips on this it would be most appreciated.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Practice; a lot of practice.</p>

<p>My preferred way is to use the M-mode, and set ISO manually to 400. You could set it to 200, which will allow the batteries to last longer. Set aperture based on your desired levels of DOF. If there is a lot movement, set a shutter speed to 1/60 - 1/125sec. Take a test shot, then use the flash compensation dial on the SB600 to fine tune the flash level to get it just right. When you bounce the flash, it is important to send some of the light straight toward your subject so there is no shadow under their eyebrow, cheek, etc. I usually tape a white business card to the back of the flash head to reflect some light forward.</p>

<p>The Stofen is a good investment. Really helps smooth out the flash light. Also ,I find most times having the flash head angled about 45 degrees can give a nice balance between reflected and direct light. And don't be afraid to try turn down the flash a bit.<br>

And Shun is right. Avoid the P mode. It tends to do bizarre things on the D5000. Especially if you have been in S or A mode.</p>