Arca Swiss orbix tilt - only useful if you use no rise?

jerry2

From what I read about the orbix, it is a means to offer

simulated "lens axis" tilt and yaw free control. However, looking at

the design, it appears the "lens axis" tilt only exist if the front

standard uses NO rise. If rise is used, the orbix will improperly

tilt the lens and NOT provide true lens axis tilt. The more rise

used, the further off the lens axis tilt will be. One dealer

confirmed this, but he seemed a bit unsure. I have never used one

before, can any users shed some light on this?

You're right - the Orbix tilts the lens round its nodal point only if no direct rise is applied.<br>

This made me also think about the usefulness of the Orbix device a while before purchasing an F-Line w/ Micro-Orbix... but in my experience using the camera, it has never shown up as a problem.<br>

If I want to shoot a subject that needs rise and tilt, I just use indirect rise (with the camera's base tilts) - this is very convenient with the F-Line, and the camera also feels more rigid if the standards are not rised.<br>

I've also developped the habit of setting up the camera with the back standard rised about 1cm for shots involving tilt and rise, so that I have a bit of room for fine-tuning the amount of rise by applying back fall.<p>

If you're still not convinced, consider the fact that Horseman includes a special feature for changing the tilt axis (quite similar to Arca's Orbix tilt combined with rise) in their top model LX - it should (at least in theory) be possible to use Orbix tilt plus rise as a variable tilt axis for facilitating some shots.

Stefan, what do you mean by indirect rise. I assume this means tilting the rail to raise the front standard in relationship to the back standard, right? If so, then you need to tilt the rear standard and add the same tilt angle to the front tilt, right? Just making sure I understand you correctly...

Bill, you're right - I use indirect rise the usual way:

<ol><li>point the camera to the subject so the selected frame is on the ground glass</li>

<li>tilt the back so it is vertical (or just vertical enough), using base tilt and the bubbles</li>

<li>apply the same base tilt angle to the front standard (using the bubbles, or the scales at the base tilt joint)</li>

<li>perhaps fine-tune the amount of rise by applying rise or fall on the camera back</li>

<li>finally, use the Orbix to apply front tilt if needed</li></ol>

It's really easy!