50mm f/1.4 AF-D Question(s)

aaron_yeo

<p>I've searched, and searched, and Googled, even Yahoo!ed, but there are some little points evading me right now.<br>

<br /> I'm looking at a decent deal and buying a used 50 1.4 AF-D from someone, and I don't have the balls to meet up with him if I'm going to pixel peep and ultimately not buy it (unless there's a major defect/problem). If it was from a store, I'd go and try it out, but unfortunately that's not a likely option.</p>

<p>So what I'd like to know, from all you 50mm 1.4 AF-D (not S/G) owners out there, is how well it performs, when it comes to immeasurable qualities such as how it handles coma, CA, flare, contrast, and any other issues you may have. Not just real-world application, but extremes. You know, shooting into the sun kind of stuff. Comparisons to the 1.8 are welcome, but my 1.8 is a little faulty.</p>

<p>Anyone care to share anecdotal experience?</p>

<p>Its soft wide open. It has some CA wide open. Use the right hood and it is not to bad with flare. Like most all super speed lenses it has some loss of contrast wide open.<br>

If you need the speed it a good lens. BTW I find the OOF backgrounds to be a little on the harsh side. I find the 50 f/1.2 or 50 f/2.0 to be better in that respect.<br>

Peter is right check out Bjorn's site and buy it from some place that you can send it back if you do not like it.</p>

<p>If going the used route, you might also want to confirm that it isn't a gray market lens in case you ever want it serviced at a Nikon facility.</p>

<p>Personally, gray market wouldn't bother me if it's a good deal for a working lens since a simple lens like that can be serviced almost anywhere. Even more complex lenses are readily serviced at facilities like Authorized Photo Service in Morton Grove, IL, among others.</p>