Another bag thread, but I'm utterly lost!

bryan_loo

<p>What I have found that works very well is a combination of much of what has been recommended. I have used a box-shaped fanny pack with a shoulder strap (similar in shape to JDM's Nikon bags). It's important that the waist belt be substantial enough to support the bag and its contents on its own. However, the shoulder strap helps to distribute the load and is more comfortable than either a dedicated shoulder bag or dedicated fanny pack. I could carry the pack behind me, to the side, or even in front if I wanted to. But a second very important feature is to find a bag where the top opens by flipping AWAY from the body. Nearly every manufacturer has the top opening toward the body, and you then have to fight gravity to keep it up while you look for something or while you change lenses. I always rotated the bag to the front, flipped the top open and away from me, and then could use the bag as a table while I changed lenses, changed film, or whatever. I often did this while standing in wet sand with waves coming and going, and it was a very useful and secure way of carrying equipment and making changes to my equipment without having to set something down or have it in danger of getting wet. The bag I used was made by SunDog (the "Art Wolfe" model), but I think it's out of production. However, those are the features I'm looking for (I need a new bag for a small 3-lens Hasselbald system that I recently put together, and my SunDog was worn out many years ago).</p>

<p>A shoulder bag with locking outside compartments may deter thieves and pickpockets. I use and like Domke bags, but there is no security on my Domke bags. Even easier to pick are backpacks except for those with pockets accessible only after the backpack is taken off your shoulders. You might consider KATA bags.</p>

<p> I can't over recommend a Lowepro Omni Sport more. It's my favorite bag. It has a waste band and shoulder strap. I ended up buying two of them for two different kits I carry. It does lack a rain cover but it is a great bag for a small kit.<br>

I have an OLYMPUS OM-4T with a Zuiko 50mm F2, Zuiko 85mm F2, Sigma 24mm F2.8, and a Zuiko 28mm F2.8 with room for a couple of rolls of film and filters.<br>

The other kit is a E-510 with 14-54mm and a 40-150mm with room for a flash.<br>

I love this bag!</p>

<p>Bob</p>

<p>Well, back to the Nikon cases and your Dad's case. Not surprisingly, the bottom structure of the Nikon cases is, I think, also wood -- to be rigid enough to allow the steel mounting plate to be stable. One of the reasons it's heavy too. I think one could probably do as your Dad did, and use some kind of mount (extension rings, etc) to make your own case, but there's no getting around the weight and mass needed for this sort of thing, unfortunately.</p>

<p>As for the Tenba PD-17</p>

<blockquote>

<p>but the PD17 is very airplaneable</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sort of, is all I can say. It can just barely be squeezed through some of those thingies measuring bags, and I have actually had an airport person walk by me (panting there with my PD-17) and force someone else to check their camera case (smaller). However, "airplaneable" is not a word I would have used, especially on many of the smaller planes now in service inside the USA.</p>

<p>Bryan,</p>

<p>I'm sorry that you've mis-interpreted my post to be angry. All I was trying to say it that it was not necessary to dismiss backpacks, since shoulder bags also scream "camera bag", it's just that I'd rather be comfortable than in pain with my bag. If you look at my post again, you'll also see that I recommended trying all your gear in a bag first to see how it fits -- there is a difference between the fantasy and the reality of travel with photo gear -- and I'll be the first to say I've been the victim of the former.</p>

<p>As for being local, I'm a Canadian living in Japan, much more local than the Japanese tourists who come here to my city, but am often dismissed as a tourist because of the way I look. Dressing in a kimono and speaking fluent Japanese would not fix that attitude, it's just the reality of the situation -- most people are dismissive at first glance, without trying to get you know who you are. The situation may be different in India, and if so, great; but it's not the end of the world to be considered a tourist.</p>

<p>I am a black and white film shooter myself (never shot digital in my life) and totally respect the idea of not taking a million photos of something. But I'd also hate the idea of running out of film if I needed it -- I always travel with more film than I need for that exact reason. In most cases, I never shoot the amount that I think I will, but am glad to know that I could if I wanted to. That's all I was trying to say with the film remark.</p>

<p>Again, I apologize if you thought I was trying to be rude; if you've read any of my other posts on this forum you'll find that I try to provide thoughtful answers to people's questions. I obviously said something that you didn't want to hear, and for that I am sorry.</p>

<p>Have a good trip.</p>

<p>Ok, just a quick update for everyone that has been so helpful so far.</p>

<p>After an exhaustive hunt and search for a camera bag. Over the course of 2 days I looked for the Think Tank Retrospective line(everyone seemed to be sold out), and finally found it and put my gear into it for a test. Turns out after trying it, the bag has a little too much depth. And I couldn't reach into and grab my gear fast enough(taller lower body than upper body is my guess).</p>

<p>Then I re-tested some backpacks and realised quickdraw wasn't for me at all and the motion of it would actually tire me out if I had to do it 20-30 times a day. But I did appreciate how it wasn't heavy to carry as compared to a shoulder bag(wasn't heav<strong>ier</strong> so to speak).</p>

<p>And then I even managed to track down a local seller for the bags JDM mentioned. Except when they weren't in such bad conditions, the price was exorbitant. I couldn't justify paying S$350(USD$250) for one when I could buy a nice 50mm AF f/1.4 for the same amount(that would be for my F801s). </p>

<p>So all things considered, I finally settled on buying a Domke F6 Waxwear. I know it's what I had on my mind for a long time now, but after considering every possible avenue(except the Nikonos V). I just decided to stick with that, and try it. It is a different sort of bag anyway than everything else mentioned. It isn't a messenger bag because of it's depth anyway. I even tried refitting my Crumpler Hee-goer I use to transport my laptop with a padded insert from my dad's old Tenba and see if that would work(it did, but the bag itself is heavy, and again the need to reach in was a little bit counter-intuitive). I like how the bags hug your person as opposed to being a rigid block, already apparent on a bag so young, and although the bag doesn't have much in terms of compartments and little nooks to fit in all your personal stuff, I think I'll make it work somehow. I also got one of the 15" padded wraps as a free gift, so I guess I could wrap it around my F2 while it gets stowed away on an overhead luggage locker.</p>

<p>Long story short, thank you everyone for all your advice and input. Truly I did not expect such an overwhelmingly helpful response, and I did read everyone's post. Thanks! I finally realised that a bag hunt is highly personal, so for now I'm happy with my bag. I'll know soon enough if my choice of a shoulder bag will ruin me(I'm 25, still young to learn my folly and buy a backpack if need be).</p>

<p>And finally, Rachelle,<br>

I'm sorry that I misconstrued your intentions. But yes, I can agree that the Domke, regardless of what people say. Does shout with a fairly audible roar, "Camera Bag!". Nothing short of an army duffel or a diaper bag would say otherwise in my opinion. But a Lowepro would be a little more obvious with it's rather plain-to-see padding versus a Domke. Of course anyone that is remotely interested in photography would recognise a Domke all the same.</p>

<p>I would beg to differ on the 'local' point though. But I guess it's really just our skin colour at work. An American friend of mine has been teaching English in Tübingen University for a good thirteen years now and still gets the, "Soooo, when are you going home?" question from Germans. But when I was in the Philippines and South Korea. They thought I was local, even going so far as to think I was Korean. I know caucasians can't really tell the difference between us fairer-skinned Asians. Or even the browner Burmese/Vietnamese/Thai, but there is a difference of course, apparent to us at least. It would be the reality of the situation if I was in Germany for example, and even though I <strong>can</strong> speak German with a good German accent. No one would think I was a real 'local'.<br>

It's not bad to be considered a tourist, but in my experience, it's far better to be the out-of-town muddled local(hiding the conspicuous tourist map) and asking for directions to a place of interest than to be the full-blown tourist.<br>

And I've decided to pack more film, just in case, and on the insistence of some of my friends and mentors, colour film as well. </p>

<p>I thank you for your patience and understanding and also the advice, it has helped. </p>

<p>Thank you everyone again! :)</p>

<p>Take a look at the Domke F-2 - it's their original bag. I used on with F3HP's (2) and lenses (5), but their soft sided character shrinks when you've got less in them. I now use one with D90 and 4-5 lenses or fewer lenses and more "other" stuff like phones and books. The shoulder strap doesn't slip, lots of pockets of good size, excellent divider system. I keep looking, but can't find anything I like better.</p>