Another bag thread, but I'm utterly lost!

bryan_loo

<p>Hi everyone, sorry for bringing out another bag thread. But I do hope everyone is reasonably patient and will hear me out.<br>

I'm planning a trip to India in early fall and from what I've heard. It will be hot, humid and also terribly wet. It's their monsoon season and although I am not intending to spend my days camped out in the open, I think the weather needs to be taken into consideration. I'm going for a holiday so I expect to be trekking a fair bit in cities/towns/countryside and also enjoying the good life in a few nice restaurants and the like.<br>

What I need advice on is this, what bag should I buy to go on this trip?<br>

I'll be carrying;<br>

1 Nikon F2<br>

1 20mm f/4<br>

1 50mm f/1.2<br>

1 85mm f/1.8<br>

A flash unit(haven't quite decided what to buy)<br>

Approximately 10 rolls of film<br>

1 Nikon P&S(for those self-timer moments you don't want your "better" camera sticking out alone for).</p>

<p>What I would like to also carry with all of this is perhaps a map, guidebook, travel brochures(you know you just pick them up at every station here and there), maybe a water bottle(this isn't quite important, I'll have someone with me all the time so she can carry that), a sandwich and odds and ends like a pen, flashlight and raincoat.</p>

<p>I've narrowed down my choices to the Domke line and perhaps the Lowepro line. I was eyeing the Domke F6, but I'm not sure if I can fit all that, definitely minus the water bottle I think, into it. The F3X looks good and I really love the exterior pockets on either end but when I tried it at my local shop, I didn't quite like the depth of it, it just didn't feel quite right for me. I'm not that tall so unless I sling it high it drops down far too much. <br>

For the Lowepro, I thought about the Versapack 200 AW. And it seemed to have everything I wanted, quick access and a rain cover and ample storage on the top. But it lacked one thing, a good appearance. You could say I'm being a little picky here but the Domkes just exude this 'casualness'. I won't draw stares walking into a fairly good restaurant with a Domke than I would with a backpack, and it's not the awkwardness I fear but the immediate understanding amongst the locals that I'm a tourist. I'm not keen on that.</p>

<p>So then I have several questions;<br>

1. With what you can imagine my plan for any given day is, is a shoulder bag a good choice? Or will I be cursing myself in the evening for being an idiot?<br>

2. With what the weather can or will be like, is a canvas bag a good idea?<br>

3. If what I've been looking at isn't ideal, can you suggest an alternative?</p>

<p>Thanks for reading! </p>

<p>Bryan,<br /> 1. Your gear seems rather light in weight, so a shoulder bag should be sufficiently comfortable unless you have problems with your back.</p>

<p>2. In what you're considering, I have a Domke canvas bag, the F4AF, and two of the nylon ones, the J-1 and the J-3. The canvas ones will stand quite a bit of rain while keeping the inside dry, but they'll get horribly soggy. Once, realizing that the boat I was in was about to go under Iguazu Falls, I took off the poncho I was wearing and wrapped it around my F4AF. It strayed dry, of course, while I got horribly soggy.</p>

<p>The J series bags are not only coated nylon, they're better padded than the traditional Domke bags. I think they're quietly elegant. The J-3 (the smallest) would do for your camera gear, but might get tight for your extra stuff, depending on the size of your notebook, etc. The J-1 is larger than you need. Look into the J-2, but see below.</p>

<p>To the question you didn't ask: if at all possible, try out a bag before purchasing, or purchase it from a place that will allow you to return the bag. Fitting a bag to your preferences is like fitting clothing or shoes. You can't tell from what other people say whether you will comfortable with it or not.</p>

<p>If you can't have another bag thread, what use is a forum for filters-bags-tripods-accessories?<br>

However, I personally have accumulated a rather larger than sensible collection of bags, always hunting for the perfect one.</p>

<p>In all these years, I've found only one that approached perfection, the Nikon FB-8 and its close kin (<a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf2/accessories/htmls/ff2cases.htm">link</a>). It was, good as it was(is), rather too heavy, and the dedicated mounts were only for Nikon. In addition, the 2-body version was covered with a synthetic cover that self-destructs after a few years. There were copies of it made by Asunama and even a sort of version by Spiratone in some other mounts, but I've never been able to find those. I paid way too much to have a good condition 1-body+3 lens version, but it is covered with real leather, and if you can find one, makes a perfect working case for a Nikon F or F2 and the lenses you list. When these come up on eBay they are usually hotly contested for by people like me who still like them (they are also handy for self-defense in crowds because of their mass, which is why when I carry it, I tend to find it best to wear German-language T-shirts (e.g., "Es ist besser auf den Bahamas") so as not to reinforce the ugly American stereotype.</p>

<p>Actually, for a one bag that holds everything you could imagine (plus a 17" laptop), look at a Tenba PD-17, but its drawback is that it is really so big that it can fail airline size restrictions if they are rigorously enforced and carrying it as a field bag can lead to hernia.</p>

<p>All that being said, when it's possible to have a base where you can leave the PD-17 and then carry a day-kit of something like a Domke, the combination is pretty darn handy.</p>

<div>00WerD-251349584.jpg.ef566fde03efd108ccbf70ec37ee5d53.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks Hector!</p>

<p>I didn't consider the 'J' line at first because I believe it stands for journalist, and unlike journalists, I don't have the money nor the firm to pay a higher price for. But I will definitely check those out and probably drop by my local store to see if they do returns.<br>

And with regards to it's weather-resistance. I'm sold, I highly doubt anything save a suitcase is going to be waterproof, and even then it's a measure of depth and time. I'll do the poncho-wrap thing if it gets torrential.</p>

<p>And thanks JDM,</p>

<p>I think the Bahamas is always far nicer than anywhere else. But enough silly talk from me. You never know with online forums, some people go ballistic when they just clicked into what must be their 200th thread about bag advice. Was just being cautious. And quite surprised I got replies! And lengthy ones too, you people sure made my day!<br>

I actually really like that Nikon bag you mentioned, other than the obvious Nikon tag which screams cameras, but it's mass would ward off most folks I think. The likelihood though of me finding one is fairly slim so I think I'll have to pass. And I actually do have a Tenba, I have no clue what model it is(it belonged to my dad so you can imagine), but it's way too big for my needs. Due to it's age and frequency of use, it's sagging now and I can imagine he used to fit half his studio into that. Whereas my gear is a lot less than what he would put in it.</p>

<p>That being said though, thanks ever so much again! A side note, I can't get Tenba where I'm at now, Tenba stopped distribution in Singapore. Or Tenba grew too expensive and no one wanted to carry them is the shops' excuse. Whichever is more accurate doesn't do me any good so I won't bother wondering.</p>

<p>I always covered over the name with a sticker, as a matter of fact. With the price I paid for my new one, I can't bear to put anything on it.</p>

<p>Here's a picture of my original one (itself was a replacement by Nikon for an earlier one) covered with duct tape and all, and my new leather-covered 1-camera model and its inside. They do show up on occasion on eBay, but not regularly. My model doesn't exactly fit the standard descriptions, but it was bought new in a PX in Japan many moons ago. The interior layout of the one that is leather covered is also shown. I should also mention that like an old XKE, the leather simply smells gorgeous. Who knows, Singapore might be the very place to look for it?</p>

<p>As you say, probably not something you could find before your trip, but since you're shooting a nice F2 it might be worth keeping in mind.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Wev0-251395584.thumb.jpg.3aefbb516817d2306477750b31a849e4.jpg</div>

<p>Have you seen the <a href="http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/retrospective-10-pinestone-shoulder-bag.aspx">Think Tank Retrospective</a> line? The 10 sounds like it would do you perfectly, they are beautifully made, very customisable and come with a custom rain coat. Pretty much as un-camera bag like as I have seen in a beautifully designed camera bag!</p>

<p>You imply you will be taking public transportation. A backpack is by far the easiest to manage in that case. You don't have much gear, so there should be plenty of room for water and supplies in a reasonably small bag.</p>

<p>When not on a train or bus, you can carry a light backpack by one strap like a shoulder bag. When you need both hands free, there's no substitute for two straps.</p>

<p>Thanks again JDM!</p>

<p>I'll be sure to keep a lookout for that then, assuming I can find one in reasonably good condition without having to put my house up for rent to pay for it. Maybe there'll be some knock-offs of it in India to be had, not that it'll be close to the original but worth a look perhaps. </p>

<p>Thanks Scott,</p>

<p>I've never seen the Retrospective line, and after having a look, I must say it looks mighty good. Within budget too! I'll have to scout around the local dealers to see if anyone carries that particular line and see if it's what I want. Great suggestion!</p>

<p>Edward,<br>

That's what I thought too, a backpack carried in front while wading through dense crowds is probably better than with a shoulder bag, even if slung across the chest. And for all the trekking, would make a great deal of sense to have everything in one bag and supported by two straps versus one strap.<br>

I'll look into it more then, haven't yet found that 'unassuming-backpack-a-local-would-carry' look yet. Wanted to see the Tenba Shootout Ultralight in action, but alas, they don't sell over here any more. And all the backpacks are by Lowepro and of course with Lowepro, the colours are all sporty-like and rather eye-catching. Or they're just really black and sleek and all professional-looking. Not quite what I want. Thanks for the advice though! Much appreciated.</p>

<p>A friend did suggest buying padded inserts and stuffing them into a regular bag or stitching them into one but I'm a little lazy on that end and would just rather buy a bag than go through needless bother. I know I am picky.</p>

<p>The F6 Domke bag ought to handle the equipment you list without any problems. Mine hauls an F300, 24-85/2.8-4 plus a 20/3.5, 50/1.8 and an 80-200/4.5-5.6 plus assorted gadgets without any problems. The soft construction and gripper strap make it easy on the shoulders. A carabiner clips a water bottle to the outside -- never put a sweaty water bottle inside with the film, lenses and so on.<br>

A backpack is impossible to work out rapidly of and very vulnerable to pickpocketing in crowded areas.<br>

The alternative would be shoulder bags from a military surplus store.<br>

If a backpack appeals to you, look at the <a href="http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm">Tamrac Adventure series</a> and buy one size larger than you think you need.</p>

<p>I have traveled in India extensively on public transport, I don't trust backpacks, in busy train stations and the like they will get interfered with, they are a beacon, you get jostled and pushed about so much that you can't tell if they are being touched. Shoulder bags are far better, in my humble opinion.</p>

<p>I should add for the record that <strong>the</strong> major convenience of the 'mounts in the base' of the bag feature is that it allows easy lens changes -- hold the lens taken off the camera in one hand, push the release button and lift the other lens out of the case with the other, then mount the new lens onto the body and the first lens into the case and . This really beats three-handed lens changes where you have to twist off rear lens caps and so on.....<br /> The lid flips out from the body to form a shelf as well, like what used to be called a 'reporters' case, of which this is one.</p>

<p>Of course, on non-AI lenses like all of mine, you also have to do the indexing twist if the camera (like my Nikkormat EL) has a meter on it. Even to this day, my hands want to twist something back and forth when I mount a lens -- after so many years of having to do it. Old Dobbin goes straight to the barn every time, so to speak.</p>

<p>That dog is Holly, by the way. She's a ninety-pound Labrador Retriever.</p>

<p>Graham,</p>

<p>Yeah, I didn't think about clipping a water bottle to the outside of my bag, I was more for buying a disposable plastic water bottle over there when and chuck it when I'm done. But it's a great solution though, funny how I didn't think of it since I was going to get a large carabiner to clip on to my bag so I could clip it to tables or chairs in restaurants or eateries to try to prevent snatch theft. <br>

About the backpack though, I'm not for it particularly. In fact, every camera guru I've talked to(my uncle, some of you guys, the dealers at the shops), have been adamant that backpacks are terrible to work out of despite manufacturers claiming "quickdraw" or "quick access". So I'll probably get a shoulder bag now. Thanks for the advice!</p>

<p>Hello again Scott,</p>

<p>I never would've thought that would be the case with a backpack! Kudos on enlightening me! Like I said above, I'm firmly set on getting a shoulder bag now. I dragged out my dad's old Tenba to go on a small project yesterday when I had to carry all my gear plus a tripod and 80-200mm f/4.5 and even though human traffic in Singapore would pale in comparison to India(a reason being no one in their right mind would want to pickpocket anyone and get caught), the shoulder bag is surprisingly easier to manage plus a real joy to work out of.<br>

I'm no professional by any means, just an amateur doing small projects here and there when I have the time but thanks again, humble opinion or not, it sure is helpful!</p>

<p>JDM,</p>

<p>That <strong>is </strong>a major convenience. So many times I've nearly dropped a lens and saved it by desperate fumbling around because of having to change lenses on the fly and in not so ideal circumstances. I think my dad might have had cases like this, but he might have sold them to collectors when he decided to retire. He made a box out of wood resembling your pictures so I think he might have copied the idea, but I'd never carry it since it's ridiculously heavy and the fact that my mother now uses it as her handicraft container.<br>

Holly is adorable by the way, sorry I didn't compliment her earlier, heh.</p>

<p>I think you're quite right to get a shoulder bag. For the trip you describe, its vital to have a bag that you can work out of without putting it down . Its also essential to have a bag that reduces the possibility that someone gets into it without your knowledge. I've had all sorts of shoulder bags over the years, including a version of the " lens mount" bags that JDM von Weinberg indicates above, - they were also made for non-Nikon brands, </p>

<p>However in this last year I've bought Tamrac bags for my dslr and Mamiya 7 systems and they are working out pretty well . They have a big range, which you'll need to look through .</p>

<p><a href="http://tamrac.com/2010_ShoulderBags-Prt-1.pdf">http://tamrac.com/2010_ShoulderBags-Prt-1.pdf</a></p>

<p>Singapore,</p>

<p>Haven't been there for way too long........</p>

<p>Best anti snatch theft measure whenever you are not wearing the bag across you, put your leg through the strap, twice, so there is a complete loop around your leg, works in restaurants etc and is very good for sleeper trains and overnight buses.</p><div>00WfKR-251641784.thumb.jpg.abbf72924d6d39715d42696211c81d46.jpg</div>

<p>David,</p>

<p>There is but one small issue with Tamrac, I was originally looking into them when I was still considering a backpack but for reasons unknown to me, dealers here seem to carry only backpacks. Maybe I was just blind but I'll have to check it up again, thanks for the recommendation!</p>

<p>Scott,</p>

<p>Well, Singapore is <strong>a lot </strong>different from India, that's a sure thing. But what I meant by the reference was just that it's Asia and public transport and roads can get mighty congested come rush hours. 4 million people in an island this small does make for a stuffy environment. <br /> But I'll keep the strap-looping in mind. I sometimes wonder if one can be overly cautious and that India might not be as bad as I think it is, at least in terms of bag security.</p>

<p>Oddly though, I think the colour of the Singapore river pictured above matches the colour of the River Ganges.</p>

<p>And I guess I'm all set now, time to head out to the shops and find the best deal on either a Tamrac, Domke or Think Tank. But on a side note, I was just looking through this. Is there really added weather protection when comparing the Domke Ruggedwear/Waxwear collection vs. the regular canvas or ballistic nylon?</p>

<p>For me, if the gear gets heavy in the bag, I prefer to lug around the Lowepro AW 350/450. That being said, you have to set that bag down to use it safely (its a backpack), but it holds a lot, and a laptop. It has a front pocket for the guidebooks etc and a cheap poncho. The flashlight could fit in the bag, but i prefer a smaller one I can loop to my belt honestly. You could consider attaching the light to the bag as well, or possibly the strap.<br>

One more cool thing about the AW series, they have a built in bag poncho thing, so in case it rains, the only thing that gets wet are the straps.<br>

I prefer ballistic nylon with a weathered coating usually, mainly because I look for the toughest fabrics. Even when you're careful, something stupid always happens. I say invest in the best when it comes to protection.</p>

<p>For the dampness you mention use ziplock freezer bags to protect the stuff that is inside your main bag. Another option is to buy some roll top waterproof bags that are for sale in kayak shops. Try, http://www.rei.com/category/4500274 You can get them in very thin material so they are not so bulky. Carry extra ziplock bags as they are handy for things other than photography. You can make a water resistant rain coat for your camera by poking holes in the bottom of a plastic bag. detach the camera strap an stick the ends thru the holes and attach to your camera that is inside the bag. The mouth of the bag remains open, pointing down to the ground. This will keep off the mist and also work to keep you from sweating all over it while you hike in hot humid weather. I envy you your trip. Have fun.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.naneubags.com/products.mdv?p=mo-s">http://www.naneubags.com/products.mdv?p=mo-s</a><br>

My basic Travel Kit camera goes into the naneu sierra. I carry my sony R-1, netbook, 350meg harddrive, extra batteries, ac adapters, flash, and memory cards and filters. What I like about this bag is that it is a easy bag to work out of, and the many compartments to organize your gear. In the main compartment your gear is stored in padded bags that can be pulled out and the bag can be used for other thing. I also like the hidden strap that converts it to a messenger sling.<br>

I also have a Kata 3in1. <a href="

<p>A few comments.</p>

<p>First of all, I think most 'locals', wherever they may be, don't carry backpacks unless they are students, going hiking, or if it's a fashionable purse-type bag. Also, camera bags, no matter what people think, look like camera bags (no regular backpack is as stiff and well-padded) - anyone in the know can spot them a mile away. If you are not Indian, then you'll probably be considered a tourist.</p>

<p>That being said....</p>

<p>I always travel with a backpack. It's a very secure way to travel with your gear, and much more comfortable than having a shoulder bag pull on one shoulder all day with all your gear. I don't like most of the major manufacturer's backpacks -- they have a ridiculous design where you have to put your bag on the ground to open it up without having everything fall out. All my camera bags come from Japan, but are of the same style of bags you mentioned above, in two sections (although the Japanese bags come with both sections able to hold camera gear, rather than just the bottom.) It is very easy to put the bag on your front and open the top or bottom section to grab gear. I've done it hundreds of times in very crowded locations (at festivals, etc) and have never EVER had to put my bag down to get gear (also a consideration when the ground is wet). If there are similar-type bags where you are, why don't you try loading them with your gear, put it on, and see how it goes with taking stuff in and out of the bag. I'm not saying it'll be easier than a shoulder bag, but it is very doable.</p>

<p>The one thing I don't like about the bags you mentioned above (as opposed to the bags I have -- which have been discontinued, otherwise I'd provide a link to them), is that there are no outside mesh pouches where you could put a water bottle, umbrella, and/or tripod (I've done all three, but not at once). You might consider that with whatever model of shoulder bag you want to carry as well -- put EVERYTHING in it, not just camera gear, that you plan on carrying.</p>

<p>I love jill-e bags, there's a line for men, called 'jack', you might want to check them out (very stylish bags that don't look like camera bags): <a href="http://www.jill-e.com/jack/messenger.html">http://www.jill-e.com/jack/messenger.html</a></p>

<p>Finally, no one bag can do it all -- be fashionable, and waterproof, and fit you properly, fit all the gear you need, be easily accessible, not look like a camera bag -- it can do some of those things, but not all. You need to decide what's the most important for this trip -- looks or functionality? If you're going to be spending most of your time in the cities and not walking around all the time, a shoulder bag may be the way to go. If you plan on doing a lot of walking, reconsider the backpack -- your back and shoulders will thank you (I say this as someone who carries a backpack with 2 cameras and 3 lenses for 8-12 hours a day when travelling (usually with tripod), which I find very comfortable and does not give me any back problems).</p>

<p>Finally -- how long do you plan on travelling in India? Ten rolls of film seems to be an awfully small amount (I could shoot that all in a day or two!). Although I'm sure film is available in India, depending on what you shoot, you might consider bringing more with you (I usually budget 3-5 rolls a day, depending on where I'm going and what I expect to be shooting).</p>

<p>Another Tenba user here... not so much the newer, lightweight consumer versions, but the PD17 is very airplaneable... it has fitted (with a little finagling) under the seat at my feet on several flights. The drawback I have with it is I can fit so much into it, it's all I can do to walk without staggering. The plus is for travel, it makes a decent carryon, if you use some space for razor (presuming you shave), toothbrush, extra pair of socks and underwear - last time a colleague flew to India, his luggage didn't arrive, so a spare set of undies/socks is sometimes a real bonus. Plus they can assist with padding the gear, although the PD series does quite well without additional help.</p>

<p>Just home from work and a mountain of replies already, before I reply to everyone I feel I need to address Rachelle first.</p>

<p>First off, you seem to be a little angry or impatient. The type I was trying to avoid. Forgive me if that's not the case. However with regards to the 'local' comment, not wanting to use a backpack is for that precise reason. No one carries backpacks other than students or a person out to do some sports. But with regards to me not being Indian, I am Asian, Chinese to be exact. Granted I'm not dark-skinned, but there can be locals even amongst Caucasians. Mother Theresa comes to mind. I will be traveling with a German though, and she's all blonde and blue-eyed so I could at least hope to pass off as a local showing her around(don't read too much into it, sometimes it won't work whereas sometimes it just might, higher chances of me seeming local than her).</p>

<p>A backpack will definitely be more comfortable than a shoulder bag, that's a given. A rolling suitcase however will always be more comfortable than a backpack, just a nuisance to everyone else around you. I understand your love for your backpacks but perhaps you can understand that I'm just pooling opinions and going from there. I have tried fitting my gear into a backpack and working with it, but it seems counter-intuitive. If you have it on the front, you can't utilise the quickdraw some bags have, if you have it on the back, there's no sure way of preventing pickpockets. Yes, perhaps there are backpacks like you mentioned with two camera carrying compartments. I just haven't really found them yet and you can't say I've actually been looking given all the feedback I've gotten about them.</p>

<p>Yes there is a downside of course to all the shoulder bags I'm looking at, but I could probably fit my umbrella into the bag, just not going to be able to keep it in when it's all wet(though I doubt I will use an umbrella anyway, not only are they a public nuisance in crowded streets, they are also prone to forgetfulness), but that's exactly what you said I should be doing. I am factoring out the things that are the least important and factoring in the things which are more important, that being my camera and it's related gear. Most of the bags I've looked at also have the tripod mounts on the exterior, that is the one thing that screams 'camera bag' more than anything else I'd imagine short of a tag proclaiming 'Nikon' or 'Canon'.</p>

<p>And finally about the film. Hmmm, this is actually a bit about my reasons why I went back to film and ditched digital, call it my philosophy perhaps. Ten rolls might seem very little, but if I wanted to carry more than that, why can't I just use my DSLR or my P&S? Film is not only expensive but is something one needs to go through more work to enjoy versus a JPEG file. I decided to go back to film because I wanted to make every single shot count, I don't want to shoot thousands of meaningless photos like I did before simply because I could. I am not certain if you can get my point or perhaps I come across as a flaming lunatic to you but that's what it's about. <br>

Simply put. I want every picture to have meaning, I don't want five different angles of a temple. I look back at all my digital images and I can only find but a handful in every album that says something to me years after I took them. Like I said, I am not a professional nor am I an artist, but that doesn't mean I can't try. Your mind's eye is your best camera, and those pictures never grow old save with the onset of parkinson's. Also, those ten rolls are B/W film, call me crazy to bring B/W to colourful India. But it's how I want to do it.<br>

For the record, I will be in India close to a month, so I will probably double my film count but that's about as much as I will take.</p>

<p>Sorry if I bored anyone to death with the last portion.</p>

<p>For everyone that responded, thanks again for all your help! It's much appreciated, truly. And I will most probably head down to my local dealer tomorrow to try out bags and make a purchase. I know it's still a good one and a half months til' my trip, but I guess I want to rein in my bag before I set off!</p>

<p>I didn't want my new bag purchase to be more intense than it needed; everyone has their own needs...I don't use public transportation for shooting trips often (if at all) and am less concerned with being pushed/jostled, etc. I did want a backpack to keep a hands-free approach to foot travel (I do some hikes and having the gear on my back helps). I'm not carrying everything; I have some film bodies and lenses that make a large backpack already weigh a ton. Asked about the Tamrac Adventure 7 on another thread, but didn't get any responses. I ended up going with that, the price was lower than anything I'd seen anywhere, including any of the on-line sources. Tamrac does seem to be over-adventurous in their size estimation; I went to local stores and examined all the appropriate sized bags in person btw. The Adv 7 says how it's for larger digital SLRs with grips. Well, I can't really put the D90 with MB-D80, a 24-120mm lens, and the quick-release tripod mount all assembled and face down in the bag as pictures suggest; but storing the body and lenses separate is no problem. It's a lightweight bag, and for my needs seems to work out fine, a shoulder bag just isn't right for my hiking-type treks...</p>

<p>my few cents worth.... ;)</p>