Making money with photography on the road

<p>

<p >I’m currently nomadic in Asia, been traveling here for about 3 years, probably do at least a couple more. I really don’t need much money, I live on less than $5,000 a year, but most of that is from savings. Currently I make a little money off selling stock through Alamy, though I’m probably not doing as well as I could with that. I haven’t put much up from the last couple years. And the stuff I put up earlier wasn’t edited as tightly as it could have been. But then again I’ve sold some images I probably wouldn’t have bothered to put up now, so who knows. The other source of income has been designing a few websites for friends and friends of friends mainly in the Himalayan trekking agency business. I’ve got a website myself as well <a href="http://www.micahimages.com/">www.micahimages.com</a> but that hasn’t resulted in any income or sales but its not really geared to. So I’m looking for a few more ways of deriving a bit of income out of my photos while being on the road, collection as you might have guessed is predominately travel stuff in Asia, a lot of Himalays & South Asia. Probably not the best stuff demand wise, but hey its fun to shoot. I guess I’m not too optimistic about getting a great new money making scheme here since if one existed everyone would be doing it, and I’d probably already know about it. But I thought I’d see if anyone one out there who is a bit more serious than me on the business aspect of photography had any suggestions. </p>

</p>

<p>You've got experience that someone like me would love to have. I think John has a great idea. Set up some tours that you could lead for photographers. Use your experience and knowledge of the area. Hook up with the trekking agencies you already know and show them how they can expand their business to photographers. They've got the framework already set up; you can just bring them a new kind of clientele, and you can lead the new clientele. It's perfect. Damn, you're lucky.</p>

<p>You are probably right, that is where there is more money. It has been mentioned to me before but I'm a little hesitant to go down that road. For one I absolutely hate being on a tour myself. The whole baby sitter aspect of it makes me hesitate as well. But a specialty photography/adventure focused small group tour, I suppose could be a possibility, and I'm sure there is market for that. I do have the contacts and experience to pull it off, getting the clients is another issue, though I could make use of my friends contacts with travel agents in Europe and the states. However it would be better financially to bring in my own clients, and have fewer people taking cuts. Something to think about. There are quite a few people who have gone down that road with a lot of success, I'm not sure it's for me, but maybe I should give it a shot. Its also something I'd have to stop traveling and focus on for a bit to get off the ground, likely going back to the states. It may creep higher up on the list as I run out of money. Go back into engineering or lead tours.</p>

<p>OH Wow! You have such a gold mine!</p>

<p>All you need are about 4 to 6 people per month that want to feel safe traveling around where you go and learn what you learned in your travels and you can make all the money you need! You don't need to be a "tour guide" but some one that can help visitors find interesting things to see and stay away from the dangerous places.</p>

<p>I would pay several hundred dollars just to hang out with you for a day or two and I'm just one of 1.7 gazillion people in the world that want to go on vacation some where that they feel safe. "Build it and they will come" is the quote from the movie "Field of Dream" which is simple... Put up a sign and let people know that you'll take them to safe places and they will pay you!</p>

<p>Do it! Don't wait!</p>

<p>I'm already excited to hang out with you! Sorry, I'll probably never leave the states... (too scared)</p>

<p>Micah, I know what you mean and share your hesitation about becoming this type of entrepreneur. I don't have the mindset for it. But if I were in your situation, the uniqueness of your experiences (and perhaps the financial urgency as well) would push me to do it. I think that once you get over the hump, the experience of actually <em>helping</em> people and the appreciative feedback you'll likely receive will soon help to change your mindset. Also, leading tours doesn't have to become your life; it's just something to do part of the time so that you can continue to do what you really love. Kind of like work. Except I'd trade my kind of work for yours any day.</p>

<p>Micah:<br /><br />Lots of good stuff above. Also, add more of your images to Alamy since you're already with them. I notice that every time I make a real effort in adding new images I see an increase in sales a few months later. I routinely upload 100+ images/month to Alamy but what I mean is that when I put the spurs to it and upload say 300 to 500 images extra, more sales most certainly show up.<br /><br />Something to do at least on those cold, windy, rainy/snowy days and all that...</p>

<p>You might be able to shortcut this by snuggling up with a luxury hotel in several of the locations you know well, if any exist that service wealthy Americans, Germans etc. Contact management, have a good portfolio to display and ask about setting up very specific tours for guests who are already booking to come to stay in the hotel.</p>

<p>Basically you offer an added-value guiding service, specifically tailored to guest's needs. You could 'advertize' to the guests by setting up a short lecture evening - show some work via a digital projector - and offer to take the guests out to obtain the same sort of image. The deal would be that guests pay for the lecture evening anyway, so even if some dont go out the next day, there's a small payment coming your way all the same for providing the lecture.</p>

<p>Doing it this way to start might be less time and financially intensive than setting it all up for yourself from a standing start. But then maybe this is being done already?</p>

<p>But I'll tell you this, from over 15 years of guiding photographers all around my own counry and overseas, it's as much about your group management and social skills as it is your photography skills!</p>

<p>". . . it's as much about your group management and social skills as it is your photography skills!"<br>

I know you are absolutely correct on that one.<br>

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and encouragement. Haven't decided yet to take the plunge in to the photo-tour business but its definitely something I'll keep in mind.</p>

<p>"Tough to run workshops and tours while "on the road". IMO you would need to make a stand somewhere and have a base."</p>

<p>True another reason haven't done it. <br>

But it could be possible to market through the internet, partner up with friends in the travel business in Nepal and India show up when I've got a tour and travel the rest of the time. Main issue would be marketing which I think is much better done in person, If it was me I'd want to meet "me" before plopping down some money to have "me" lead me around. But it's not impossible to market exclusively online.</p>

<p>In any case a more passive income source would be best, but its hard to find people who will pay you to go around travel where you want and take pictures of what you want. I'm sure there would be numerous applicants if there was. Fortunately I've still got a couple more years of solvency.</p>