What Modifiers?

<p>I am primarily a wedding photographer and use bounced flash and OCF bare or with umbrellas (shoot through and regular) for portraits and at receptions. I have recently purchased two Alien Bees 800 units and am planning on photographing more babies / maternity shoots. I can imagine I will be working in fairly tight spaces as I do not have a studio space. I will be bringing my equipment to my clients homes.<br>

I have been trying to decide on what I need. I was plannning on doing these shoots with my AB's, so I would most likely purchase from their accessories. I was thinking a softbox (what size? and maybe with a grid?) or a beauty dish? I was also thinking about purchasing a boom arm, but not sure if that will be useful in smaller spaces.<br>

With the maternity portraits I'd like to create some moody picture where the mom fades into the shadows (this is why I'm thinking I might need a grid) and of course some nicely lit ones too.<br>

Any direction would be great. Thanks.</p>

<p>The folding softboxes they sell at AlienBees.com are (especially when you get them at a discount because you're ordering lights) a very good deal. A grid isn't cheap, but it definitely gives you more control when you don't want to splash light around the set quite so much. I can see that playing a role in the mom-type shots you describe, for sure. I'd stick with the larger softbox if you can.<br /><br />A boom arm can still be very useful when you're working in close quarters. In fact, it can help you out all the more, because it allows you to get that soft box up a bit without having the stand base crowding the working area.</p>

<p>I second Matt's suggestion for the Alien Bee softboxes. The set up time is way less stressful than with regular softboxes, and you will need the grid. I've done home portraits and baby pix, and you just don't have much space for background spill control in regular sized homes. I'd get the medium softbox with grid and the strip box with grid. Too big a softbox and you will have space problems.</p>

<p>I personally would avoid a boom. In a home situation where you are setting up and breaking down, the liability potential would make me nervous, particularly with babies. If you need a hair light, I would rig something up with a very small shoemount type flash. I have a Morris wide slave that I use with a Honl grid (very strange looking combination) that works just great for a hair light.</p>

<p>Umbrellas or beauty dishes will spill too much light on backgrounds, particularly if you want a black or very dark background.</p>

The AB grids are inexpensive compared to Photoflex or Chimera grids... :-)

Ditto foldable softboxes...I find them to be good quality and setup/breakdown time is impressive if you've ever put together a regular softbox...