Copal 0 - Lens Shutter Speed Dial Hard to Turn

john romano

<p>Hello:</p>

<p>I have a Copal 0 lens shutter which I bought used, and the shutter speed dial is very, very hard to turn (change speed settings), and the usual indents for each speed are hardly existent. I did not examine this before I purchased it due to mail order.</p>

<p>Obviously, this lens shutter has a problem.</p>

<p>Any ideas what is wrong with this shutter?</p>

<p>Thanks so much. </p>

<p>John, Older shutters can be difficult to turn if they are cocked. Some shutters are not supposed to be adjusted after being cocked, and repair people tell you not to do this. If your problem happens when the shutter is uncocked, I would have it serviced. It is likely the lube has firmed up. It will likely work like new when you have it CLA'd and it's not that much money.</p>

<p>John,</p>

<p>In complete agreement with Michael. Try moving it back and forth after releasing the shutter and see if it is easier. do NOT try to force it as that might cause further wear and some damage. I can personally recommend Carol at Flutotscamerarepair.com for working on older shutters. You will have to get in line, but her work is terrific and very soft on pricing. She has done several of my older lenses with complete satisfaction on my part.</p>

<p>We're you thinking of trying to solve the problem yourself? If so, try squirting light fluid onto the ring and rotating it back and forth, and see if it resolves. But the shutter likely truly needs a CLA.</p>

<p>Vick</p>

<p>The problem exists even when the shutter is not cocked.</p>

<p>How much typically for a CLA? A new Copal 0 from B&H is $209.</p>

<p>I bought this on eBay and the seller said the lens was in excellent condition. The glass is excellent. I am considering paying for the CLA, or sending it all back to the seller.</p>

<p>Opinions?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>John, I think I remember that the last one I had Carol do was only about $55 or $60. Most from other sources have been quoted to me at $150 or higher. Check the Flotot's web site and see if she doesn't have current rates posted. By the way, her work is well work the wait.</p>

<p>I had one done for $75 recently. BTW, simply buying a shutter won't solve the problem as you need to have the aperture configured to your lens. f/8 on a 65mm is not the same as f/8 on a 90mm. SK Grimes can do this (I've not had them do it, but I noticed the service on their site). Maybe the seller would split the CLA with you.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone, for all of your great help.</p>

<p>Given that the lens was advertised in such good condition, and emails prior to the auction confirmed this, I thought it best to send this back to the seller, and press for a refund via PayPal.</p>

<p>There are many others available in the same price range.</p>