D5000 Lenses

cindygillespie

<p>I am getting a bit overwhelmed by searching out a lense to do low light portrait and a club / event lens. <br>

I have been looking at the following<br>

Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF<br>

Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF<br>

Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 Lens for Nikon F-Mount<br>

I can not locate a compatibility chart to know that these will work on the D5000 or at least a chart that I can be sure of.<br>

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.</p>

<p>Thank you all !!!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yeah..it's confusing:) You need AFS, HSM or BIM lenses meaning the motor is in the lens.</p>

<p>AFS = nikon<br /> HSM = sigma<br /> BIM = tamron</p>

<p>Lenses built in the last three or four years should all work. Regardless of lenses, you should invest in a off camera flash for event/club work.</p>

<p>From what I have read it seems that would also be a need? I know that they are not expensive.... correct? I am trying very hard to get back into the swing of 35mm/ DSLR type mind frame .... I have lost my touch through the years of use with point and shoots. I VALUE any and all opinions !!!!!</p>

<p>The 35mm f1.8 is like a 50 on film was. It's a GREAT lens for that camera. 50 is less useful (and you have to buy either the new AF-S one from Nikon or the HSM from Sigma, both more expensive than the old screwdrive lens). Also, unless you're shooting portraits, the 50 can be awkward and long, and it's not even ideal for portraits to be honest. But it'll do in a pinch.</p>

<p>The 35 has a touch of CA more than I'd like, but it's easy to manage and takes great sharp photos.</p>

<p>But if you want to use off-camera flash with a D5000 you'll need to buy an SB800/900 or SU800 first. The built-in flash doesn't have CLS control.</p>

<p>I guess Kikas already discovered the problem with this recommendation: "would you consider SB 600 as "off-camera" flash as well ? :) " - and by providing the ":" gives a clue that this is a possibly funny thing to do ?</p>

<p>If he expained better, I would not have to write this, but here it goes:</p>

<p>Your D5000 camera built-in flash is not a CLS commander type, and any attempt to use SB600 not in the camera hot shoe - as an external flash with D5000, would deserve the ":"</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I have been looking at the following</em><br /><em> Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF</em><br /><em> Nikon 50mm f1.8 AF</em><br /><em> Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 Lens for Nikon F-Mount</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Of the three you are considering, <strong>only the third one</strong> will autofocus on the D5000. The first two are compatible for everything except autofocus, but will be manual focus on the D5000.</p>

<p>There is an <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/normal/af-s_50mmf_14g/index.htm">Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G</a> that *will* autofocus with the D5000, albeit at a higher price tag than <a href="http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/normal/af_50mmf_14d/index.htm">#1 on your list</a>.</p>

<p>out of your choices, only the 35/1.8 will AF.you may want to consider a zoom instead of a prime to cover more of the portrait range as well as wide-angle; the tamron 17-50/2.8 BiM or VC model and Sigma 18-50/2.8 HSM should work well with the d5000 and are much more affordable than the nikon 17-55/2.8, which would be seriously unbalanced on such a small body.</p>

<p>i'd strongly recommend an external (hotshoe-mounted) flash like the sb-600 as well.</p>

<p>I already have the 18-55 and the 55-200 I was looking for more of a portrait lense... babies, people with a bit of a extended use also. That's why the questions. I understand the hotshoe mounted flash is needed. So, doing portraits and some events the 35mm 1.8 is the way to go ..... correct? I want to make a smart choice here and the suggested Tamron 17-50 is a bit on the high end for me right now. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>the 35mm might not be the best way to go. for "babies, people with a bit of extended use also" unfortunately, calls for the wide to mid zoom like the 17-50mm or the 18-50mm mentioned by eric. but the 35mm is always usable. there is the leeway to crop to obtain the right perspective.</p>

<p>when you say low light portrait, do you mean shooting portraits for effect or restriction? if it's the former, you don't need the hotshoe-mounted flash, yet. i'd save a little for the tamron 17-50mm or the sigma 18-50mm after the purchase of the 35mm. they can be bought used.</p>

<p>you can sell the 18-55mm maybe for $100 and put that towards the purchase of the sb-600 or towards the tamron or sigma, whichever you find you need next...... good luck and have fun.</p>

<p> </p>