N90s and a beep after the frame is fired

don_west1

<p>I don't recall my N90s beeping after taking a shot unless at the end of the roll. Last year I had film advance issues, in fact it beeped and said "end" after 4 frames of a roll. I had it serviced locally, seemed to be OK, although recently I again have started to notice it beeps after it's been in about 10-12 frames into the roll; and sometimes doesn't beep after a shot even that far into a roll. The roll seemed to finish OK (Fuji Velvia btw), I've yet to have it processed. I'm a little concerned it might be acting up in the advancing mode again. I'm getting leery of putting more money into repairs, and start to contemplate the digital world and a D90 in the future. But can anyone enlighten me on the beep, its effect and possible dire meanings? Thanks.</p>

<p>I'm not aware that an N90s can make any beeping sounds whatsoever. I Googled "N90s beep" and this link showed up - something do with with altering the camera with that old Sharp Wizard and Datalink software. Did you buy your camera used?</p>

<p>http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/tpeach/Photography/N90vsN90s.htm</p>

<p>I hate to repeat the old "just buy another N90s for $50" thing, but if you know the camera and enjoy using it, it is the least expensive route to keep going. Or get an F100...</p>

<p> </p>

<p>OK, I read my own Google search a little further and found this, reporting that an N90s started beeping at the end of a hand-rolled cassette:</p>

<p>http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/70085-nikon-n90s-beep-how-can-i-turn-off.html</p>

<p>I vaguely recall reading (and possibly posting a response) in a thread about a camera's film advance acting up. The suggestion that a tight roll, or tight batch or film rolls, as the culprit came up.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. Yes, I did buy the N90s used. Came from a photographer who had barely used it, having it as a back-up. I don't know what was done to it, though as I said I don't recall it beeping except at the final frame. Money being tight I haven't used it as often as I did a few years ago. And sure, I know if it turned out to be truly screwy I can find an excellent one from KEH (for example) cheap. Or F100, or what have you. My recent trip allowed me to used my digital point & shoot as well. Naturally it's a shoot anything and everything mode with a camera that has thousands of frames, so I do contemplate going D90 at some point and being able to have a high end SLR with limitless (nearly) possibilities. I'll see how the current film from the N90s comes out; Velvia *may* have had some tight winds, I guess trying another type of film would be a good test as well....</p>

<p>It's been a few years since I used my N90s (still have one here at work)......</p>

<p>In addition to "tight film", weak batteries can make the drive clutch choke, thinking it has hit the stops (like end of film).</p>

<p>I suppose the same can be said for weak / old / decrepit drive motor, but I never wore mine out.</p>

<p>I had checked the batteries, and they're fine. I spoke to the repair guy who worked on it last December when he cleaned and lubed the film advance gears. He thought if it's a contact or switch going bad (could be) it is not worth the cost of repair. KEH presently has N90s for $79, and while they may be high, they are an excellent outlet, I've never had a problem. Their F100 listings are about $250-$300 for up to a like-new-minus. Tech recommended if I want to stay with film to look for an F100 with a warranty, but if I was to spend $300 for another film camera, then how long before the cost of continued film adds up? Quandry :) I am looking to the Dark Side and the Nikon digital SLRs. A D90 is the lowest end I can go with and still use my existing auto-focus lenses. 50 rolls of Velvia with processing and I could buy a D90. See where it leads me? I'll keep it all in mind and use the N90s as long as I can for now. I did visit a friend's camera store today and physically held the D90 and played with it; nice tool, and it is recommended to add the MB-80 (much like the MB-10 I have on the N90s). Ah...we shall see....</p>