1D Mark IV - Focus tracking Custom Functions

robertbody

<p>I want the 1D4 only to take a picture when the autofocus has been established, not otherwise.<br>

I saw a Custom setting on a different body that had "Focus Priority" as opposed to "Shutter Priority", so that in the first case, the camera would make sure to have Autofocus otherwise no picture would be taken -- and this would slow down the 10fps frame rate, but in theory most pictures should be in focus.<br>

I tried this on a 1D3 before, and lately on 1D4, and most of the frames would not be in focus in a 10 frame sequence, even though i was tracking the subject [somewhat closeby and with a 24-70mm f/2.8 at near 70mm]. A dog running at the camera was the subject.<br>

It could be that 24-70mm is not that fast to focus, but there should be something on the camera for a setting?<br>

Something similar happend with 1D3 with 300mm f/4, and sometimes not even the first frame would be in focus [and lens was on a tripod too], and it wasn't just 1 picture, it was most of the time. That was with a 503xxx body that was on the black list for focusing issues and never got a white/etc DOT.<br>

.... but my question is about 1D4 setting<br>

I should say that i was using a manually selected point, anywhere within the frame, and i would track a moving subject with the focusing point on where i wanted the focus to be -- and the camera would fire at 10fps, no delay in between frames, the frames are just not in focus after the first couple.</p>

<p>I don't know if I can be of any help or not, but I'll take a shot!</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with the 1D's, but on my Elan 7e, EOS3 and 50D there is an AF setting of "AF Servo" which will keep constant focus on moving subjects.<br />Seems to work best with only the "center focus point" selected.</p>

<p>The AF Servo on my three bodies seems to work as I would expect with all my lenses. Although some may be faster than others, I don't notice a signigicant difference.<br />I shoot many Air Shows with Jet aircraft flyby's at speeds of 300 mph and some Dragstrip photo's of the cars either coming toward me, or away from me.<br />I often shoot some busts of 6-8 shots also.</p>

<p>Reading your post again . . .</p>

<p>If during the "shooting bursts" of moving subjects, I let my selected "focus point" get off the moving subject, then I too will get out of focus shots.</p>

<p>If there is a setting that Canon has that will absolutely not let the camera fire without being in focus, then I have been of no help at all!</p>

<p>On the 1D MkIII that would be C.Fn III-3, set it to 0. But you can't isolate these settings, the AF tuning and customisation, whilst not being rocket science, is involved and one setting affects the way another works.</p>

<p>As a starting point for dogs running I would be in; AI Servo; C.Fn III-2, set to minus a bit to slow it down; C.Fn III-3, set to 0 (but it always is for me); C.Fn III-4, set to 1, (I find this setting more stable when I induce tracking errors); C.Fn III-8, set to 2 (this again covers up many tracking errors and gives the AF system much more to work with.</p>

<p>These are all numbers from the MkIII menus so the MkIV ones might be a little different, suffice to say, take more time with your setup, they are not just about how the camera works, more about the way your camera works for and with you, my settings might not work for you at all.</p>

<p>Thanks a lot Scott, I will give that a try. Do you prefer to use the center focusing point to maximize the success rate? For my framing i would prefer to use other focusing points... just about every time, but most of the time it is not fast moving subjects (triathlon runners), in my most recent use with 1D4 (which is new new to me) the dog was definitely moving fast, towards the camera, and at close range. I just used the default settings for AF, and the default is "AF focus" priority as opposed to "Frames per second" priority.</p>

<p>You are welcome Robert.</p>

<p>I almost never use the center AF point, only when I want to 'hand the AF point off', for things like a bird in flight. But that is rare, I normally pre compose, select the appropriate AF point and then go from there.</p>

<p>Fast moving dogs are a challenge for any AF system though, below is one of my attempts. The focus is good on the eye.</p><div>00WaCn-248463584.jpg.6024dec28700ed1d4c0f67fcf28d2bd6.jpg</div>

<p>Robert - your OP indicates that you are not very familiar with the concept and settings for Servo AF on the 1D series cameras. Proper tracking of a moving object at 10 fps involves *much* more than pointing at the object and pressing the shutter. There are white papers and learning resources for both 1D3 and 1D4 on the Canon's site US site and on the European Canon CPS site.<br>

<a href="http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/index.do">http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/index.do</a></p>