Problems with Flash commander mode

<p>Hi friends I use to have a D300 and now I have a D700. I am beggining to learn the use of flashes away

from the camera to create new lighting conditions... BUT when I use the SB800 away from the camera and use the

built in flash in commander mode, the light of the built in flash changes everything. I mean the light of the

Flash commander mode also spread a light that I do not want. What can I do? ( My english is not very good

so... please try to understand) THANKS!</p>

<p>I don't have a D700, but read the manual. There should be a menu item that minimizes the light of the built-in flash so it's just enough to trip the SB800 without overlighting your subject. Failing that, a bit of aluminum foil crimped over the built-in flash can direct its output toward your SB800 without letting much light on your subject. You might also investigate a Nikon accessory filter that changes your built-in flash output to infrared, which will trip the SB800 without lighting your subject visibly. And if you aren't happy with any of these, a Pocket Wizard can attach to your hot shoe or synch connector and trip its slave unit on the SB800 via radio.<br>

That's four solutions, and one of them is bound to work. There's also the good old synch cord, which goes from the synch connector on your D700--assuming it's got one--to the connector on the SB800--also assuming it's got one. And if that doesn't work, put your D700 on bulb and put a match to a metal trough filled with magnesium flash powder--but don't burn your eyebrows! 8-O</p>

<p>Be aware of a more flexible solution if all else fails: purchase a Nikon SU-800 speedlight commander. Better range, no light emitted in the visible range, menu much easier to work with. In any case, make sure the camera flash is set as COMMANDER and the SB800 as REMOTE, which is not the easiest thing to find in the menu when you are in a hurry. I just leave mine set up as a remote.</p>

<p>"Check page 309 for Built in Flash settings in commander mode. Set it to -- and the flash will trigger your SB-800 but the built in flash will not fire any visible light." - ?</p>

<p>Who believes the Nikon's books, literaly ? - you need to read explanations in the link below:</p>

<p><a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00WaL5?unified_p=1">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00WaL5?unified_p=1</a></p>

<p>That is why Nikon invented the filter...</p>