YASHICA ML 28mm

Sounds like a real bargain.. Not sure what piece you're referring to.. I just so happened to have my 28mm ML and so I looked at it. I don't own the FX-3 but what is most important is aligning the red-dots prior to mounting the lens. You'll find one on the lens and the other at 12:00 o-clock on the camera. This insures that the protrusions fit in their respective indents. I've examined the protrusions and will identify them. The larger of the tabs is the spring loaded aperture setting. This is (letter A) what keeps the lens wide open while viewing and insures or returns it to being open after firing the shutter. This will be actuated at the bottom at say 6:00 o-clock when mounted and engages the spring at 4:00 o-clock The second tab(letter B) tells/engages the meter the aperture setting and as well as setting the

aperture. It should move in tandem with the aperture ring. The post marked as number 1: is the lock tab for the bayonet. it is 90 degrees left of the index mark and when mounted locks the bayonet in at 12:00 o-clock<div>00WYwU-247771684.jpg.d9f8350a6ff2d5d802d203004bdbfe9f.jpg</div>

Corrections

"You'll find one on the lens and the other at 12:00 o-clock on the camera. "

(Reference Number 1) You'll find one on the lens and the other at 12:00 o-clock on the camera.

The post marked as number 1: is the lock tab for the bayonet. it is 90 degrees left of the index mark and when mounted locks the bayonet in at 12:00 o-clock

Correction

The post marked as Letter C

Apparently the post marked as letter -C is what you say is hindering your mount. Mine is midway notched to a half moon at the top. Hard to see in this photo. Would you want another close up? I would recommend removing it. I get the impression it's the lock point after twisting 90 degree. When you press the disengage button it likely disengages this post! Strange that

this post is machined a bit different! I have an aftermarket 28mm lens I originally had..I need to look at that one too!

<p>I thought maybe you were talking about the thingie marked with a red arrow here?</p>

<p>It almost looks like it might unscrew? [of course, if you do, your a** might fall off;)]</p>

<p>BTW if you size your picture to a max dimension of 700 pixels or less, and post a title, the image will display in line. Look at the text as you post pictures for more detail.</p><div>00WZ0h-247785584.jpg.b75e64ca826d34fbfabf0a53e0d49085.jpg</div>

<p>I have two of these 28mm ML lenses, and there is a slight difference between them.</p>

<p>Looking at JDM's re-sized version of Peter's picture, at approximately the 9-o'clock position are two screws, my first 28 has just these two screws, and my second has a small arc-shaped slotted plate pinned by these two screws. This little plate has a small piece standing proud about two millimetres, and its location can be moved by slacking the screws and adjusting the position of the plate. Both lenses work as expected on the FX-3, which only has a three-LED panel in the viewfinder ; but the first, if mounted on, say, a Contax 159MM, will expose correctly but give an erroneous aperture reading in the viewfinder ; whereas the second, with the adjustable plate, gives a correct aperture readout on the 159. So I conclude that the function of this plate and its little protrusion is to communicate maximum aperture for that lens to a camera body with the facility to recognise it.</p>

<p>My first thought had been that someone had clumsily replaced one of these two screws and lost the plate, but looking at the orientation on Peter's picture as resized, that's not the case here. The lens above has an extra post at the 1-o'clock position, where both my 28mm's have only one screw, looking at them in exactly the same orientation as the picture above.</p>

<p>Such a post can't be to communicate with a Yashica/Contax mount, and looks like it was put there for a specific purpose, but it's not to hold the black annular disk in place. My guess is that it should just be unscrewed and removed, and since the lens only cost a fiver, there's no financial hazard involved.</p>

<p>Well...I unscrewed the mystery part with no detrimental effects I can see. I just wonder what on earth it was for? Could the little hole it screwed in be for dropping oil/lubricant in? Not that I will ever do that - just a thought. There is a small gold sticker beside the red dot used to align the lens properly when attaching it that says 'surveillance only' if that means anything to anyone?</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses guys.</p>

<p>I just can't remember for certain, but there's something rattling at the back of my mind about some Yashica lenses appearing on eBay that had been made for or modified for CCTV cameras or something, but which worked perfectly on regular CY bodies. It may be something and nothing, but I wish I could remember it more clearly now.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Could the little hole it screwed in be for dropping oil/lubricant in? Not that I will ever do that - just a thought.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>DON'T EVEN THINK IT! [yes, I am not shift-key challenged, I am shouting].</p>

<p>Now that I look on it, it seems increasingly like a rim-fire 22 caliber shell?</p>

<p>Don't throw it away and put a label in the box or whatever, telling what it is and where it came from in case it does turn out to actually do something other than protect the rear lens element from abrasion. :)</p>

• 2 years later...