Picked a lens now looking for guidance on the kit for vacation

erictomenga

<p>I am an amateur photographer with much to learn who regularly reads this site but don't post much. After much research (thanks to this site) I decided to go with the 70-200mm f/4L USM lens for my new zoom. AT $600 I couldn't beat the quality and price combo. I would love the IS version or even f/2.8 but I can't justify (aka afford) the cost. I already have the 1.4x extender and a 100-500mm Tamron so I think I am good with my zoom range. The new lens will give me the range I need when I don't have room for the 100-500mm monster. I considered the 28-300mm IS USM but I did not like the f/6.3 as I do like to take wildlife photos. The most pressing reason for this purchase is that I am heading over to England for my first time and want to make sure I pack right.</p>

<p>My plan is to take my 30D, 16-35mm f2.8 L, 50mm f/1.4 and my soon to be purchased 70-200mm f/4 L. Along with my extender and considering London's low light(aka cloudy) and inside touristy stuff I feel that I have all my bases covered. I would like to keep my extender on the 70-200mm at all times, get a filter for protection and hood which I would remove during storage. Is it OK to keep the two attached? I would like to bring one of the two vivitar 285hv flashes I have but to be honest I'm not very confident in my experience with it and having to rely on more of a manual mode than canon's flash. Should I just leave the flash at home? </p>

<p>Any suggestions warning about a few days in London? After London I head to Norwich to visit relatives.</p>

<p>Last question. My wife's uncle knows about my camera hobby and threatened to give me his old EOS (forgot model but it is film based) plus a lens or two. I'm not holding him to his word but if he happened to convince me to take them, will I have any issues with older UK based lenses in my US based 30D? I'm sorry I can't give an age or range but think back decades at least.</p>

<p>Thank you for reading and for a wonderful source of information for my photography habit.</p>

<p>- Eric</p>

That sounds like a nice set of lenses!

My guess is that leaving the extender attached is no problem but I'm no expert on that.

No opinion on the flash.

The old EF lenses should work fine!

(I do wonder whether a 112-280/5.6 lens is more useful than a 70-200/4. I have a x1.4 but hardly ever use it on my 70-200/4.)

<p>Hood + Filter will be fine. But if the hood is attached the filter will offer no additional protection.<br>

For the 'inside touristy stuff' your lens combo is as good as it gets.<br>

Have you thought about a monopod for some assistance with supporting the 70-200+tc? I would suggest a Manfrotto plus the 234RC head (vertical movement plus quick release plate).</p>

<p>I would be tempted to take one flash - you can always leave it in the suitcase but a few days (nights?) practice beforehand should bring you up to decent competence.</p>

<p>By the way, London isn't <em>always</em> cloudy :o) In fact the last few days have been 80F and higher with clear skies.</p>

<p>One piece of advice is to remember to look up. Above the gaudy shop fronts, London has some magnificent architecture that is easy to miss amongst the throngs of people.</p>

<p>@Matthijs: Thank you. I wanted the extra stop and little plus the reviews on the 200mm were great. I got mixed reviews for the f5.6. <br>

@Mike H: I'll try out the flash to see how well I handle it. I got them to play around with a home studio trial and I wasn't blown away with the results. I do need more practice but with a 4 year old around it is a bit of time issue. I have manfrotto monopod and tripod. Not the carbon ones so they are heavy, good for defending against charging rhinos and stable shots but not easy to bring along with family nor does the monopod fit in the luggage. Thank you for the heads up and I hope for clear skies in July.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Maybe I misread / didn't explain clearly. (If I was clear than sorry for this "double" post)</p>

<p>The 112-280/5.6 lens I mention is the 70-200 plus extender x1.4.</p>

<p>What I tried to say is that you can probably leave the extender at home.</p>

<p>But it's small so bringing it with you is no problem probably.</p>

<p>I think you've got a great kit planned for London.</p>

<p>It's really different for everyone, but I found myself using my ultra-wide (10-24mm, on APS-C) 60% of the time I was in London.</p>

<p>Remember, it's bright outdoors even when it's cloudy, so it's not really low-light, but the 50mm 1.4 will be great for all those museum crawls and dark pubs.</p>

<p>@Mattthijs: I understood the math but misunderstood the meaning. I do think the extra mm may help.</p>

<p>Thanks again for the reply.</p>

<p>@Philip: Thank you. I thought the same think. I'll keep the wide angle on most of the time. My next purchase may be a 2nd body. </p>