57 National Parks project completed, what's next ?

qtluong

I just returned from Alaska, where I spent a week

on an inflatable canoe paddling the Kobuk in mostly awful

weather.

With that trip, I completed in nine years (somewhat, because I

still need

to return to a number of Parks to be satisfied) the project of

photographing each of the 57 US National Parks using the

5x7 camera as the main tool. I believe that only a handful of

photographers have completed the tour, none of them using

as large a format (it's relatively easy to do about 40 of the

Parks).

<p>

Now the question is what do I do commercially with the

collection of images ? A book is in the works, but obviously

LF is overkill for that. I've also been thinking about a travelling

exhibit. Besides that, I'll welcome any creative suggestions

on how to make good use of such a possibly unique (?) LF

image collection .

Well not that it has to do with the existing images.... the National Park System was created to preserve the United State's natural beauty and heritage. Perhaps turning to area that are deserving (although not necessarily through the NPS) of preservation or are threatened in some way. This would be easy for much of the mainland US, as you note. Further afield, you could expand into other countries and other national park systems. In particular the contrast in uses from the US recreation circuit, vs Park in other countries where humans live and work.

My biased opinion is that you should return to various threatened regions just beyond the edge of certain parks, and push to get them included/protected. I would offer that a lot of the Utah Red Rock country near Moab/Canyonlands deserves this treatment, before various interests turn the view from Delicate Arch into a drill-field / bill-board covered replica of the Wisconsin Dells.

The 19th century photographers helped get Yellowstone/Yosemite set aside, and 20th century ones did the same for many other unprotected wildernesses.

Congratulations, a major technical, personal and inspirational achievement! Isn't the History Channel or Discovery Channel tied into the NPS this year and doing cross-promotions? Maybe you could talk them into a documentary approach highlighting both the parks and photography as a way to interpret parks. Also, I imagine all the small and medium sized museums and state DNR departments would be excited to have an exhibit of national heritage in their cities. The most obvious touring sites for an exhibit would be in the park headquarters at each park. Also, buy that new Epson 7600 and get your images in each park gift shop!

Best Regards,

John Bailey

Congratulations on your body of work! Contact some of the state commission on tourism bodies and learn what can be done to promote tourism through grant monies. I've had great success in Nevada with the Nevada Commission on Tourism funding different ideas that ultimately promote tourism through the pictures. My first and foremost rule is "somebody elses $" We've done 20X30 art prints, and several postcard projects all funded with tourism dollars. We've also made the big prints for the traveling "tourism trade show" type displays that travel around and get set up. Best of luck to you.

QT: I have a freind who has assembled the largest private collection of National Park memorabelia, including coins, articles of clothing and keepsakes from some of the explorers who "found" the parks. His collection even includes the California Missions, since they were recently added to the National Parks perview. He is here in the south SF bay area. If you would be interested in an introduction, email me offline.

Congratulations!

<a name="1">Congratulations!</a><br>

<br>

Some ideas:<br>

<br>

Make the most of it editorially. Use the uniqueness of your project to gain publicity (only a few have done it, you used the largest format, etc.). Contact conservation-oriented magazines (and other ones, too) and propose a photo/article package (use the article to share stories from your travels). Send potential buyers to your web site so that they can see the images.<br>

<br>

Make one or more calendars that are related with the book. Make screen-savers to go along with these. Make greeting cards. Send potential publishers to your web site so that they can see the images.<br>

<br>

See if local media would be interested in the story (have something to sell before you do so). Send journalists to your web site so that they can see the images.

No wisdom on what to do next, but one comment:

"A book is in the works, but obviously LF is overkill for that."

I don't think it's overkill at all. If the best offset is employed, and some images are spread across two pages, the quality of your 5x7s will be apparent. A friend of mine published such a book, and the difference between his 4x5 and 8x10 early Fujichromes (RDP/RFP) is readily visible in it.

Congratulations! I think such a body of work would be appreciated in many venues. Certainly in printed products like calenders and post cards, but the uniqueness of having the whole "enchilada" would indicate the possibility of a travelling museum exhibit. Also, the U.S.State Department/U.S. Information Agency used to sponsor cultural exhibits travelling overseas. Hmmmm, maybe that will get you within striking distance of some of those UNESCO World Heritage sites? Congratulations once more! What an accomplishment!

Be careful on recommending National Park status for threatened land. Although most conservationalists seem to think park status is the ultimate protection (and proof of an groups clout), in many cases is it not the optimum situation. Once park status is given to an area, the crowds develop, the vistor services may be expanded to accomodate even the RV crowd, the regulations and ranger control ensues, and a places loses much of it's "unknown gem" appeal. (Everything E. Abbey wrote about industrial tourism in Desert Solitare is still all too true 35 years later) Thus I think wilderness designation is a much better option in most cases.

It seems a shame most people have so little curiosity that they need the government's stamp park designation before they deem an area worthy of visiting ... or photographing. Lots of great places are uncrowded and just as stunning as the national parks, I'd like to see them kept that way.

I think the point made about concentrating effort on other threatened places is quite valid. All this fixation on the parks, and the resulting images send a message that all is well with America's wildlands, when in fact nothing could be further from the truth. While development rolls on, we keep seeing the same worn out images of the Grand Canyon, the Tetons, Yellowstone, and Yosemite. What about the other places?????

H

>>> "A book is in the works, but obviously LF is overkill for that"

I would have thought that the fact that the images in the book were shot on 5x7 would be an added Unique Selling Point for any prospective purchaser, especially if you are talking coffe-table size. It would also increase your options for marketing calendars etc as suggested by Matthew above - the higher quality being useful here if not in a small(ish) format book.

In any event, nice one!

Cheers,

First, you either have a very understanding wife, or someone

who likes to travel.

With the images, if it is your idea to make money off them, there

is a variety of ways to do so; I'm sure you could figure that out

yourself. A traveling exhibit tho entails quite alot, and I'd rather

put my time into being in nature than dealing with all the people

and places to exhibit. The logistics can be a pain in the arse.

You might consider either opening a place such as what the late

and departed Rowell's did, or maybe approach Mountain Light

and see about a residency. You might be able to display your

images there and at the same time help support Galens vision

by offering your services to teach or whatever. I also believe a

fund was setup for the work of aspiring photographers, but you'll

have to check that out as concerning what roll you could play to

help out. I think a prelimenary email and then a trip there would

be in order if you wished to pursue something along those lines.

The quality of your work and more importantly your dedication, should serve as an inspiration for all of us.

I am getting ready for another photo trip and was feeling a little blah about the whole thing, when I saw some of your work on terragalleria....it really got my juices flowing.

As far as marketing, the first thing I would do is to print a few

posters: even if you have to give them away, they can still generate a lot of interest.....in the bigger sizes, your large format should help you break through the clutter.

Thank you.

bw

My comment aside, you�ve got some really nice work Tuan. I can understand why you want a meaningful venue for it. It�s a shame that so much of the park photography getting published isn�t half as good as yours, ditto the psoters hanging in the visitor centers.

I think you do raise a good general point about what to do with all the pictures we�ve taken. I suspect that most of us don�t get much beyond a print or two hanging on the walls or given to friend, maybe a �hope somebody finds it� website. Too bad there�s not a regular venue for photographers to show their work, say like rotating exhibits at libraries, colleges, or even shopping malls. Kind of like open talent night at the local bar.

So much junk does get to the forefront, while the good stuff stays under wraps.

It�s too bad all the Gallery owners/exhibitors of photography can�t make a little room for the unknown artists. The so-called supporters of photography seem to shun new talent and strive to eliminate the democracy of popular demand (juried competitions, etc. instead of a good representation of what�s out there, the same people published over, and over, and over. So I guess ultimately you end up doing it please yourself.

Congratulations Tuan. I would like to know when the book comes off the press because I do want an autographed copy. Your work is superb. Until then, I would like to read some comments on the good and bad experiences of your undertaking. You are bound to have a number of stories that would make interesting reading. I know you have one or two on the LF Homepage but a few more would be nice. I do wish you luck in turning your images into a commercial success.

What else can be said but Wow? Beautiful work. Now I have someone to point to when my wife frowns at another Motorcycle with 4x5 trip ;)

One interested party for a traveling exhibit might be Patagonia stores. They regularly host slide shows and might be interested in such a collection.