No wedding coordinator = photographer is the wedding coordinator

fuccisphotos

<blockquote>

<p>I was amused at your comment because I don't think I've ever seen brides/grooms use a fork to eat their wedding cake. It does make the table look better, though!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Brian, this photo is from my own wedding, image by Sarah Merians Studios. Maybe we were the weird ones for using forks??? But the place I got married at gave it to us that way. We did tell them in advance that we weren't doing the face cake smash though.

<p><strong>Moderator Note:</strong> Vail--unfortunately, I must remove your image since the rules here at photo.net are pretty clear--do not post any image which you haven't taken yourself. If this image exists somewhere else, you can provide a link. It is a wonderful image.</p>

<p>Before that image gets pulled down, I will take the opportunity to say you are a Striking Woman and an Elegant Bride . . . and that we used cake forks, also, at our Wedding - but our Cake only had three tiers . . . dare say this comment will go south too when the image goes – hope you get to read it first.<br>

<br>

WW</p>

<p>William, I insist on meeting the clients beforehand. And if they can't meet, I require us to talk on the phone first at least. Since I have only recently entered the field of wedding photography, and my prices are still fairly low, the weddings I am booking are often planned only a few months in advance. The wedding prior to this one there was a wonderful wedding planner that booked me for the wedding in the first place and she was a dream to work with, so I suppose I was spoiled. When I meet with the clients I do ask them for a basic schedule and run through my shot list. At the time when I met with the bride, she said we don't know any of the times yet. I gave her a copy of the shot list saying "these are the types of photos people usually want to get, they highlight the main points of the wedding. You can use this to set a schedule." Since I am still working my day job, time got away from me and I didn't follow up with her to make sure they had set a schedule. That was my fault. </p>

<p>As soon as I got to the facility I met with the facilities coordinator briefly to introduce myself, and briefly met with the DJ. At which point she asked me to give her the thumbs up at the door when the bride and groom were ready to go. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>I explain to the B&G in the pre-wedding meeting that it is much better for somebody who knows everybody to be rounding them up than for me to be trying to fetch people I don't really know</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I explain that to them as well. It isn't in the contract though. I ask for the names of the family members they want in the photos and that I'll be interacting with a great deal, and the names of everyone in the bridal party. I put them on flash cards a few days before hand and memorize them. I ask that they give me proper pronunciations as well, and a basic descriptor if it is a big bridal party (i.e. brown hair, blonde hair, glasses, tall, short, etc) I mention during this meeting that I'll divvy up the formal shot list to the bridal party, and have them round up the people or to the ushers/wedding coordinator.</p>

<p>Vail, <br /><br /><br />Yes I know your background I clearly remember a previous post and most of the answers, too.<br /><br /><br />OK the picture gets clearer. As you move along you will command more that arrangements and details are more solid at the meeting – you might consider having a prep sheet you send the Prospects outlining what you will cover.<br /><br />After the meeting, it was the Client's job to supply the information which you requested.<br />The wedding managment was out of your control and I think you did well to manage what you did and did not overstep the mark. <br /><br />It seems the Client's did not take full advantage of your Services, Talent and Time – you can advise and technically direct and suggest but then bottom line is you are <em><strong>not the School Ma'm </strong></em>to hold the strap over them, if they are recalcitrant.<br /><br />Client’s have responsibilities also. <br /><br /><br />WW<br /><br /></p>

<p><strong ><em >CORRECTION:</em></strong><br>

<br>

<em>"It seems the Client's did not take full advantage of your Services, Talent and Time – you can advise and technically direct and suggest but then bottom line is you are </em><strong><em>not the School Ma'm </em></strong><em>to hold the strap over them, if they are recalcitrant."</em><br>

<br>

This Paragraph was NOT intended for this thread. <br>

<br>

This paragraph was erroneously included by an accidental cut and paste from another script for which it was meant.<br>

<br>

There is no inference that in this thread, the Client's behaviour was unruly.<br>

<br>

I apologize that my mistake was not seen within the 10 minute edit time, and I further apologize for any concern caused by my error.<br>

<br>

The comment: <br>

<em >“Client’s have responsibilities also”,</em><br>

<em > </em>is a standalone comment and refers ONLY to the fact that the Clients have responsibilities to manage or put in place a manager of the function.<br>

<br>

WW<br>

<br>

</p>

<p > </p>

<p>On my website I post three sample Timelines for brides to download and study.</p>

<p>I ask, as part of the contract, for a Timeline and a Formals list prior to the wedding day. When you plan ahead and "help" encourage the bride and groom to plan ahead you are doing the work that should really not be done on the wedding day. </p>

<p>On the wedding day: I want to be the photographer they hired and not a wedding coordinator. I want to take photographs of the good times and the clunky times. My wife will help "coordinate" if things get rough but, in general, the work should be done well ahead of time. A planned timeline, done in advance, is then given to the groom and groomsmen and all other wedding party persons who will need it.</p>

<p>Plan Ahead so that you are doing "the job" you are hired to do as the person with the camera in your hands on the wedding day. (imo).</p>

<p>I rarely have worked with coordinators. At the church Church people keep things on schedule because they want out it over as fast as possible so they can go home. At the reception let the DJ run things they are the emcee, and have a set location so are easy for all involved to find. They can plan with the banquet manager and let you know what's up. </p>

<p>"Brian, this photo is from my own wedding, image by Sarah Merians Studios. Maybe we were the weird ones for using forks??? But the place I got married at gave it to us that way. We did tell them in advance that we weren't doing the face cake smash though."</p>

<p>Vail, I don't think you are weird at all. That is a very sophisticated image! Thanks for sharing it with us.</p>

<p>p.s. I agree with William W... you are a stiking woman, beautiful bride, and your husband is annoyingly handsome. I'd post a pic from my wedding showing how we fed each other cake by hand (also with a "no-smashing clause" in place), but you wouldn't be able to reciprocate with the 'handsome groom' comments so... :)</p>

<p>There was no such thing as a wedding coordinator twenty years ago and people today don't seem capable of tying their shoes without some expert, someone holding their hand, cheering them on, telling then everything is going to be okay. What nonsense. I'm a photographer, not a coordinator, and neither should any other photographer be a coordinator. Let people do what they do for good or bad. It's their event, not yours or mine, especially for those who sell their work as 'photo-journalistic.' Keep true to that spirit, don't meddle and let the pictures telling the story of the day, even if it's a disastrous, 'non'-coordinated' affair.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>Moderator Note:</strong> Vail--unfortunately, I must remove your image since the rules here at photo.net are pretty clear--do not post any image which you haven't taken yourself. If this image exists somewhere else, you can provide a link. It is a wonderful image.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So very sorry about that Nadine. My mistake. Eventually I'll remember all the rules!<br>

To the others, thank you for the compliments. I'm a bit confused about the comment about the 3 tier cake though. Will, care to elaborate?</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em><strong>"but our Cake only had three tiers" </strong></em>was simple childish envy. Nothing deep and meaningful, no secret societies, no coded message . . . <br>

Your cake had four tiers, our cake had only three tiers, therefore you had a bigger cake than me. <br>

I like Wedding Cake. I like Christmas Cake, too. <br>

In fact there's not much (quality) food I don't like. <br>

I don't care that you might have a 1Series - that's only a tool - good food is an experience.<br>

<br>

WW </p>

<p>My comment about me liking Christmas Cake refers to this: <a href="../canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WUuQ">http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00WUuQ</a> (My Post May 23, 2010; 11:19 p.m.)<br>

There is a lot of testosterone and head bashing before the end of that thread. <br>

If you want a chuckle, grab a coffee; a piece of cake; your cake fork . . . and have a read.<br>

WW</p>

<p>As a rule, I don't do weddings (Star Wars Cantina band anyone...;-))), but when I do:</p>

<p>- I ALWAYS visit both the church AND the reception venue beforehand and speak both to the priest AND to the event coordinator. I ask everything, from lighting (sometimes I even ask them to demo the lighting for me), to floral arrangements, decorations, cake arrangements (where is it stored, how will it be rolled out, etc) and even examine their plates and stuff. And of course, I ask how are they thinking of timing the event.</p>

<p>- Based on all this, I formulate a shots plan, test various lighting ideas (usually with the help of my assistant) and put this down on a rough draft event plan which I then use to discuss basic directions with the couple (as I don't like directing them on the day - I tend to shoot more in a photojournalistic style). It is at this stage that any gaps or "hadn't thought of it"s usually come up. The couple then have the chance to correct them or at least keep them at the back of their minds...;-)</p>

<p>- Finally, my ONE condition for the coverage is that there is at least ONE person, usually someone who knows the couple VERY well, someone they trust and who has SOME authority to resolve minor issues for me. I try to befriend that person as much as possible and enlist his/her help in resolving any disturbances and minor problems which may arise (from uncle Bob and his brand new DSLR to little Mike who thinks climbing on my light stands to escape from little Katie is fuuuuun..)</p>

<p>Vail -- I must say that as a photographer I've never been in this situation. As a DJ, (years ago), I have. It's kind of expected that the DJ has been to many more weddings than the bride and groom. On top of that, the DJ has a PA system so his voice will always be the loudest. If there is no DJ, the photographer is the next best choice to make sure everything gets done. I hate to say it, but if I was in your situation, I would have taken the reigns and directed the wedding like I was the coordinator. I wouldn't get paid for it, but I may get another gig because I took control, got the shots, and had the day go off without a hitch.</p>

<p>On the other hand, if everything went wrong, I don't think the photographer would be the first blamed...after all I was only paid to take pictures.</p>

<p>Just my 2 cents.<br>

RS</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em><strong>I am seeing a lot more DIY weddings.</strong></em></p>

<p>Yep, you'll be seeing even more as the economy stays bad.<br>

*</p>

<p><em><strong>The bride plans her special day by remembering what she SAW at other weddings and not by finding out how the event is put together. Amateur organization equals chaos.</strong></em></p>

<p>Oh, that seems a tad unfair. NO organization = chaos. If amateur means inexperienced, then the challenge of getting organized is certainly greater. But just as there are photographers who've never shot a wedding but go out and do a pretty good job their first time, so there are brides who do their homework and manage to get things to run pretty smoothly. I've shot do-it-yourself weddings that were really pretty well run. And I remember one wedding in Austin that had actually TWO wedding coordinators (supposedly, they were partners) and it was a mess. </p>

<p>Will</p>

<p>You are there to take photographs, that is plain truth, but in order to take them and since Weddings do have a timeline for things to happen, then you need sometimes to direct this moments to get the shot.<br>

Even if there is a Wedding Planner you need to communicate with this person and other vendors, like the DJ, to organize the timeline.<br>

You are the one that calls the SHOTS!</p>