Southwest USA in December any good?

bastian_bauwens1

<p>Hi all,<br>

I am planning to go to the <strong>Southwest USA</strong> (esp. Utah, Colorado, Arizona) in November/December. My current plan is to go there from <strong>Nov 4 till Dec 19.</strong> However, I am still a little unsure whether December is suitable for landscape photography.<br>

So, what are your opinions? <strong>Is the Southwest any good for landscape photography in early to mid December?</strong> And if so, which locations/parks should I concentrate on? What are the things I need to keep in mind (snowstorms, road closures, etc.)?<br>

Or should I rather enjoy a nice November and then head back to Germany?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance for any help,<br>

Bastian</p>

<p>Early November should still be good for fall colors in the Flagstaff/San Francisco Peaks area, and the weather should still be good. Of course, the Grand Canyon is good any time of year, just a lot more comfortable in the fall. If you are intersted in Pueblo/Anasazi ruins, check out Wupatki National Monument north of Flagstaff., which also happens to be on the edge of the Painted Desert. Other great spots: Canyon de Chelly in northeast Arizona, and a no-name overlook on the Little Colorado River canyon on State Route 64 about 10 miles north of US 180.<br />Past mid-november, think about migrating south to where the saguarro cactus live. Saguarro National Monument is good, also Chiracahua National Monument in southeast Arizona which has some really good rock formations.</p>

<p>The main thing about desert photography is to choose your shooting times carefully - basically, sunrise and sunset are best. Scenery tends to wash out around midday if it's sunny, even in winter.</p>

<p>Enjoy your trip!</p>

<p>Bastian, Bosque del Apache 80 miles south of Albuquerque New Mexico is a great place to go in November and December for bird photography. Hotels are inexpensive in near by Socorro. The Very Large Array makes a nice side trip and White Sands National Monument is near by. You can through a dart at any of the southwest states and find great locations for landscapes, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Zion, Arches, Capitol Reef. They are all easy to find and November and December are good times to go. Dress warm. Good Hunting. Andy</p>

<p>Here's one I accidentally left out: Sedona and surrounding Red Rock country, and Oak Creek Canyon (State Route 89A between Flagstaff and Sedona). And, if you feel adventurous, have a 4-wheel drive vehicle or want to take a jeep tour out of Sedona: Schnebly Hill Road, which runs very steeply between Sedona and Munds Park on I-17. It's one of those place where most tourists don't go. This short video will give you an idea of the scenery, but doesn't begin to do it justice...</p>

<p><a href="

<p>November is probably a little late for things in the high country as snow can be a problem. Several years ago we ran into snow in tha mountains in mid September. If the weather cooperates don't forget Mesa Verde, Hovenweep Nat'l Monument, Chaco Canyon, Bamdelier Nat'l Monument and Monument Valley. Good Luck- your biggest problem will not be running out of places to go but will be deciding which ones to choose.</p>

<p>Your timing is perfect. The beginning of November is peak autumn color in Zion. Anytime during your trip has a chance for snow at Bryce Canyon or the higher areas of any of the Utah parks. Just be careful when driving in the high country. Weather can vary from fairly warm to bone chilling cold, so bring a wide range of clothing to cover conditions that could feel as warm as later summer to as cold as the middle of winter.</p>

<p>Bastian, I went to see the sun rise over the Grand Canyon around the middle of December. Unfortunately, it was overcast. Although it was incredibly cold in the morning, later in the day I went hiking down into the canyon and it was quite comfortable. </p>

<p>The area around Page, AZ is really beautiful. Unfortunately, Antelope Canyon closes in October. But it is still really beautiful in that area. Horseshoe bend (in Page) is nice at sunrise.</p>

<p>Other places to consider:</p>

<p>Southwestern Arizona, west of Highway 286, south of I-10- Extremely arid desert with widely scattered but very rugged and bone-dry mountain ranges. Very to horrendously hot for half the year, but mild days and cool nights in winter. You'd be best off with four-wheel drive to get into the more interesting areas. Cabeza Prieta, Kofa, and Organ Pipe Cactus are prime destinations.</p>

<p>Southeastern Arizona- Still desert but a lot more vegetation, even some grassy valley floors. Mountains are forested at higher elevations and some may have snow on top. I went there in December one year and was blown away by the play of the stark winter sun on the low grassy valleys and high mountains. Weather will be cooler and nights below freezing, though still far warmer than higher-up places like the Grand Canyon or Zion. You can get up into the mountains in several locations such as Coronado National Memorial and Chiricahua National Monument.</p>

<p>Any time of year can be good for landscape photography in the Southwest. Even "bad" weather can bring great lighting if one is patient. The questions to ask instead are your and your vehicle's ability to handle snow, ice, and cold which can make some prime locations more difficult. The places I mentioned above should be good even if the high plateau country is blanketed with snow.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>You've received numerous great suggestions, so I won't add any. Rest assured that you would easily find many photo subjects in peak beauty without having to venture far into the wilderness. Be prepared for shorts blasts of snow and cold, but in this part of the world the weather quickly clears to follow with brilliant sunshine and cleansed air. Get for dawn and stay for sunset several times per week and you'll be richly rewarded. If it does snow and your vehicle allows, get out in the snow to look for wildlife. I find that I get some of my best shots as new snow is falling.</p>

<p>In the next weeks, I'd suggest putting together a tentative intenirary and sharing it here for comments and suggestions.</p>

<p>I live in southern Arizona and shooting here in Nov and Dec is one of its three great times to shoot (the others being August when the Monsoon is raging and spring wildflowers). Catching the mountains in snow with giant cacti in the forground is really special. December also has plenty of sunsets to choose from. </p>