Large Background needed, what to use?

2dhouse

<p>Hello All,<br>

I've just been hired again by a regular client of mine. The job is product photography and videography of a machine they've built. I've shot a few machines for them in the past but they've always been rather large machines. They've hired me today to shoot tomorrow and since this machine is "smaller" (8'x13') they've asked if I could supply a white background/backdrop for the shots. I'm wondering if anyone's got any idea on what to use? I've got 2 background stand kits, and some 9' white paper already. 12' is at the studio but I can't bring that as I have no means of transporting it to the job. Also there is enough natural light to shoot the stills in their facility, but I don't want any shadows on the background.</p>

<p>Question is what do I use for a background, how can I light it properly, and if I do use 2x9' paper can I set them up without any seems showing in the video or images?</p>

<p>Here's an image of what I'm to shoot, sorry for the poor quality.<br>

Thanks, <br /><br />David Dvir </p><div>00WXLp-246871584.jpg.bab359b93f329937e0f5486ef6ec4369.jpg</div>

<p>I can't think of anything you could get locally in most places that would be large enough for a seamless background for an 8' high x 13' wide subject, except, possibly, some type of painting drop cloth from the building supply store. I would guess that you would need a background in the area of 20' x 20' minimum along with some way to hang it (20' x 40' or larger would be better), and looking at the pic, you don't have much room behind the machine to work with in throwing the background creases/folds out of focus. Can the machine be moved forward toward where you stood for that shot to get it away from the pole and the other items behind it?</p>

<p>There isn't a good solution, well a perfect one, except to rent a nice large studio with a car sized cyc.</p>

<p>I don't know how much you need to move the video around, but the best solution, and not perfect, is to use the 12 foot paper laterally. Strap it to the top of your car!</p>

<p>Lay out one length that you can sweep up and then another for the floor over that--so the seam is pointing back wards. Then the seam will mostly disappear. Lighting can be difficult, depending again on the video. The still photos can easily be retouched and it is also pretty easy to minimize cords when you aren't moving. But some lights behind the equipment, lighting up the background to minimize shadows and some high lights for the front--Maybe you at a higher vantage point--honestly, the solution to these things is generally one that is worked out on set and is harder to solve with any formula lighting. You may find that the available light, with a kick here or there, will do it.</p>

<p>(if they had a really large clear space, I might consider a high shot down onto the cement or even paper it with the shorter rolls--seams away from camera. Depends on the angle and what they want to show!)</p>

<p>Look in paint stores for painters tarps that may be big enough. You could also check with canopy companies that do cloth canopies for buildings. Get some metal saw horse brackets and 2X4s from your local Home Depot or Lowe's. Build a over sized saw horse big enough to tack the tarp on to.</p>