Layers sequence in CS4 - help needed for a tutorial

<p>Good afternoon everyone.</p>

<p>I am looking for a tutorial for CS4, regarding the use of layers.<br />Specifically, on how to proceed with using several layers, how to make sure each layer is in the proper sequence, etc.<br />Example:<br />1. 1st layer is for lightening some shadows.<br />2. 2nd layer for sharpening<br />3. 3rd layer for cloning out unwanted parts of the picture ...<br />4. etc ...<br />I used the search feature of this site but could not find anything specific to my query.<br>

Hoping I made this query precise enough for getting help.<br>

Cheers.<br>

JP</p>

<p>well it all depends on what you are up to.. but essentially you are asking about workflow as much as layers, as that will determine the order. Heres what i do in order in Ps, starting in 16bit colour:</p>

<p>1. maybe some slight sharpening to begin with, prefer to do at end but depends on shot<br>

2. colour layers: curves, hue/saturation etc. this could be as few as 2-3 layers or as many as 20 for a complex piece, of which most would be local (eg. eyes, lips, arm, clothes etc), a few global<br>

3. contrast/light layers, if thats what it needs, could have already been done in curves etc, but maybe something else here in soft light/overlay/multiply<br>

4. reduce image down to 8bit now the global colours are done with, onto retouching, as in clone, patch and healing, each on a new blank layer if possible<br>

5. anything special the shot needs, could be anything at all<br>

6. some output sharpening, must look natural!</p>

<p>the only exception to this is that if i have to do some masking for background alteration work, i usually get it done with at the start. i cant be more precise, as each picture is different, and requires different treatment.</p>