Olympus EPL-1 for portraiture?

jet_tilton

<p>Needing to sell my Nikon D90 for financial reasons, want to possibly get an EPL-1 for my photographic pursuits. Would like to use it for portraits of kids. Does anyone have examples of portraits taken with the Pen cameras, and is anyone using them exclusively for portraits? <br>

Jet</p>

<p>The EPL-1 will end up costing about the same as what you would sell your D90 for. It doesn't make $ense to make the switch in my opinion.</p>

<p>The quality of the portrait you take will be as good as your technique. Both are capable cameras and will yield pretty much the same results all things being equal.</p><div>00WVoN-245991684.JPG.6aeccc5f8071eb26cf84490191c38efc.JPG</div>

<p>I had the same thoughts as Elliott. Unless you also have many hundreds, if not $2-$3 thousand dollars- worth of Nikkors you are selling along with the D90, this is a wash switch, and if you do have high-end Nikkors or third-party optics and will clear an amount you need to clear on the switch, be prepared for a different level of optics and performance, unless you plan to splurge some of the cash you make to buy a few older, faster manual lenses and the necessary adaptor(s).</p>

<p>And if you want to buy fully compatible additional lenses after the kit 14-42, be prepared to spend probably close to what you have left from the switchout....maybe even a little more.</p>

<p>Hard to imagine seeing you coming out very well on this unless, like I said, you're also divesting yourself of some pretty high-end lenses....and get the second-hand price they are worth.</p>

<p>Agree the $$ needed to add a lens suitable for good portraiture will cost you more than say a new D5000 and 50 1.8 D. ( Manual focus works great for formal portraits. I have a new E-pl1 and am struggling to like the thing. With the little plastic 14-42 it makes a fine travel camera with image quality and color that can give 2 out of 3 DSLR's a run for their money. With the 1.1 firmware upgrade the focus while not AFS fast is decent enough. The optional EVF is a joy to use. Even with action the lag was short enough to land some keepers. Not a D3 fast mind you but not bad for what it's intended for. No need to mess with the back screen when that gem is plugged in.</p>

<p>Three things really disappoint me in my early testing. First the Panasonic 45-200 OS I purchased despite it's fine IQ and build quality is so slow focusing that it's near unusable in many situations. #2, today at Seaworld San Antonio I managed 125 photos with a fresh battery before it went dead. Not acceptable. Finally the controls are fiddly. I know most experienced photographers want some control over the camera but given all the cussing and missed shots due to slow button pushing the best thing to do is put the damn thing in Auto or Program and be happy. Really isn't that what a P&S is suppose to be about anyway? Sorry for the mini-review but I had to vent.</p>

<p>I appreciate your advice. I did sell it on the 'Bay, needed to get some money in. Many photogs, such as Kirk Tuck really enjoy using the pen cameras, and I just wanted to know if it would be suitable for taking portraits of kids, I have a small shoot coming up with my daughter's dance class, and wanted to know if it would be doable. Seems that many of the shots taken with it are still subjects, not as many moving subjects? Maybe it would be better to get an Oly E-620? I've even considered the Pentax K-X, since the only thing extra I have is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and a SB-600 flash. <br>

Besides portraits, I want to do more macro and landscape photography as well....<br>

Jet</p>

<p>I appreciate your advice. I did sell it on the 'Bay, needed to get some money in. Many photogs, such as Kirk Tuck really enjoy using the pen cameras, and I just wanted to know if it would be suitable for taking portraits of kids, I have a small shoot coming up with my daughter's dance class, and wanted to know if it would be doable. Seems that many of the shots taken with it are still subjects, not as many moving subjects? Maybe it would be better to get an Oly E-620? I've even considered the Pentax K-X, since the only thing extra I have is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and a SB-600 flash. <br>

Besides portraits, I want to do more macro and landscape photography as well....<br>

Jet</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Maybe it would be better to get an Oly E-620? I've even considered the Pentax K-X, since the only thing extra I have is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and a SB-600 flash.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not sure why you want to switch brands. Are you not happy with Nikon at all? Buy new, 50/1.8 + SB600 will cost you close to $300-400, and they are outstanding values for what they do. The m4/3 system is not really designed for "action" photography and if you do a search, you may find many discussions on this topic. A dSLR is still a better and cheaper solution. Do you not like the D90, which is an outstanding camera with the same AF system that was used in the D200, the previous generation of pro body. Is it the cost? D5000 will be slightly cheaper and they share the same sensor and AF.</p>

<p>Most people like a shallow DOF look for people photography. Due to the 2x crop factor and the lack of fast lens in the 50-70mm range, a good APS-C dSLR will work better than m4/3. The closest thing that the m4.3 has in the 45-50mm range, is the $900 45/2.8 lens. Alternatively you can buy the Olympus ZD 50/2 macro. Together with the cost of the camera, it gets really expensive. At the end, D90/D5000 are better in low ISO performance and dynamic range, the former feature will be helpful in the dance class indoors. </p>

<p>CC Chang,<br>

Already sold Nikon equipment, needed to get cash in quickly, wasn't really a question of being happy, just needed to sell it due to personal financial reasons, and wanted to find a smaller, lower priced alternative, that's why I was considering the EPL-1.<br>

Getting something smaller and more portable is my goal, but also need a cam that will deliver when needed. That's why I was also considering the Pentax K-X and all of the primes available for it, and possibly the Olympus E620. </p>

<p>Jet</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Getting something smaller and more portable is my goal, but also need a cam that will deliver when needed. That's why I was also considering the Pentax K-X and all of the primes available for it, and possibly the Olympus E620.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have a D90 and GH1 so I know both well. Since you already have a very good lens for candid photography for the APS-C sensor and an outstanding flash, which I too own, it makes more sense to just get a D5000, new or used. D5000 is certainly comparable to E620 and Kx in size and there are plenty of reviews to tell you which one may be better. I will not give up my Nikon for either one. Sell old eq and then buy new will cost you money and time. </p>

<p>Go with the m4/3 if and only if you really really care about size, which is the main advantage of the system. I have a GH1 primarily b/c I love its video capacity and I can use a small cam as a travel camera. IQ wise, the D90 is better and I expect the D5000 to perform similarly. If do want to go with EP-L1, just be aware that its native 45/2.8 lens is $900 while your Nikon 50/1.8 is just $100. An alternative would be to use the ZD 50/2 lens for about $450, still much more expensive than the Nikon that you already own. You could use the Nikon lens on the EPL1 with a $50 adapter, but it will be MF only, which can be frustrating if your subject of interest moves rapidly.</p>

<p>I saw you post on dpreview. There are many many discussions on the issues of m4/3 and "action photography" and "shallow DOF." Do a search. Anyway, if I were you, I would just buy a used D5000 for $4-500.</p>

<p>Buy a used anything from any of the reliable places. Until you get on your feet. I like the G-1 enough to think it is a good value with its basic lens, about 625.00. From which you can grow. <br>

GH 1, nice, a little too much money for the penurious I am thinking. But anyway, good luck. <br>

Technique can compensate for a lot of initial limitations one might suppose. Heck, you can even pick a refurb with warranty used Coolpix 5000 at B and H for about two hundred to use with your SB 600 as well.<br>

Who supposes one can't get fine portraits of kids with a simple but quality fixed zoom camera. even though not an SLR. (Olympus fans will pardon my apostasy..).</p>

<p>Thanks for all of your responses! I went to the local Best Buy, with 10% off coupon in hand, ready to get an EPL-1 no matter what! Well after really working with it, realized that there would be no way that I could make it work for the type of photography I do (babies, kids, etc.)! with an upcoming shoot of little girl dancers, definitely need a dslr, whether it's a Nikon, Pentax, Olympus etc., just so I can quickly change settings easily, which the EPL-1 would not. I'd love to get one when finances improve, since it would be a great little camera for personal work. Just don't want to show up with what looks like a big point-and-shoot, when most of these moms probably already own canikon dslrs anyway!</p>