FD lens with 49mm filter thread... (or an alternative)

james_ashby

<p>Hi, i have a bunch of 49mm filters (a heap of colors and a polarizer). I am hoping to use them on my F1 but i don't think that there are any FD lenses with 49mm filter threads, is there a secret one or any lens that i could get and use with some form of cheap adaptor?</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Canon FD lenses with the silver breech lock ring take 55mm filters or larger. New FD lenses with the breech/bayonet mount take 52mm or larger filters. You could use your 49mm filters on your F-1 with a step-down ring, though you may get some vignetting on wide angle lenses. Be aware that you may not get accurate metering if you use a linear polarizer on your F-1. However, a circular polarizer should work fine.</p>

<p>As Rick noted, many of the older FL lenses take 48mm filters and should work fine with a step-up ring. You will need to meter in stop-down mode.</p>

<p>Many of the lenses in M42 or Pentax/Praktica screw mount use 49mm filters. These lenses are plentiful and cheap, and can be easily adapted for use on your F-1.</p>

<p>James, do you have any specific focal lengths in mind?</p>

<p>Interestingly, just as an observation, all the camera makers have had sort of "standard" filter sizes in the past for their basic "library" lenses. As noted, Pentax and Praktica in the old M42 days were often as not 49mm. Nikon and Canon FD were usually 52mm. Some early EOS lenses were also 52mm, but more recent "kit" lenses for a time were strong on 58mm.</p>

<p>Nowadays what? Maybe 77mm? ;)</p>

<p>Aside from vignetting, use of adapter rings also often interferes with lens hoods.<br>

Sometimes, if you want to use filters, there's a lot to be said for having a Cokin type filter holder and a series of mounting rings in different sizes.</p>

<p>Ah, i hadn't thought about FL lenses, will investigate... The M42 might also be a good plan (i accidentally brought a 1000mm MTO that is M42)<br>

As for the preferred focal length probably the wider the better (24-35L is my favorite lens).<br>

Cheers</p>

<p>With the exception of the FD24mm f/1.4 lens, all of Canon's breech lock FD lenses in the 24mm to 35mm focal lengths take 55mm filters, and all of the New FD lenses in these focal lengths take 52mm filters. In the FL range, the FL35mm f/3.5 lens is the only wide angle with 48mm filter threads. The filter sizes on all of the other wide angle lenses are 58mm or larger. Canon's bayonet lens hoods (e.g., BW-55A, BW-52B) should not interfere with a step-down ring.</p>

<p>M42 to Canon breech lock adapters are plentiful and cheap. Canon's Lens Mount Converter P is particularly well made. Third party lens makers, such as Vivitar, often keyed the size of the filter rings to match the lens mount. Where practical, a lens in M42 mount would have 49mm threads to match Pentax's standard, while the same lens in FD mount would take 55mm or 52mm filters.</p>

<p>Perhaps the best solution --which is increasingly harder to do -- is to have some series VII filters with appropriately sized adapters. That may take some looking at camera swaps, etc., but it can be done. I have adapter rings for standard threaded filters, too, but I have to admit 49mm tends be the least desirable size fior me. You can get a 48>49mm step-up rings which allows you to easily use those 49mm filters on the canon lenses that are 48mm (not too many, but the Canon QL17 also uses them). The beauty of the Series filter system is that all you need is the holders (48mm > Series VII; 55mm >series VII, etc.) and the single filter which can use used in any of them. For a better explanation, see here: http://randomphoto.blogspot.com/2007/04/serious-about-series.html</p>