The Nadav Kander(esque) or Fine Art photography aesthetic

<p>Hello all,<br>

There's this very specific look that a lot of fine-art photography photographs have. I know most of the photographs are shot on film, but wondered of what else is done to the picture to make the photograph not look so literal (if that makes sense). Or how people make it not look like it is just literally a snapshot. An example of this aesthetic would be Nadav Kander's "Yangtze" series (www.nadavkander.com), but I've shot with medium format film for a while and want my photos to not look so literal, but does this photographer wait for the light or did he do post processing to add mysteriousness to the photo?</p>

<p>any help would be awesome,</p>

<p>Victor</p>

<p>While I won't promise that's "All" he did I can tell you that on a great many of these he also used a Tilt Shift lens as I've mentioned above. I can tell you that when a number of photographers use Fuji films and over exp by between 1 and 1 1/2 stops this is the "Sat and Color hue" that we get. Kodak does not seem to give us this (or at least me, but I think others agree) But again, you can tell where he used T/S.<br>

Can you see the T/S shots?</p>

I often expose Fuji 400H at 200 ISO. I get deeper colors not less. These photos look like they have been underexposed and brought up when printing, not overexposed. We all know what prints look like when the flash hasn't gone off indoors and the printer gives less enlarger exposure to lighten up the prints - flat washed out colors. If we are talking about slide film then I would agree that it is overexposed.
James G. Dainis

• 1 month later...