can't afford CS5 extended but I have a trick

<p>I could get a sealed copy of CS3 or CS4 from some vendors still carrying old stock. I could then buy the CS5 Extended upgrade and load it. The question is do I <strong><em>have</em></strong> to load the older version first or can I just load the new one and have the older versions s/n at hand.</p>

<p>Andrew is right. You don't think Adobe didn't put a check in the installation to ensure you actually have the necessary registered copy of the CS4 on your computer? If you buy an upgrade over a new version, you don't think it won't look for it?</p>

<p>This answer is based on the Photoshop CS upgrade from 7.0, but maybe it still applies: I didn't have to install 7 first and then CS whenever I got a new computer. I'd just put the upgrade disk in, run the install, and at some point it would ask me to take out the CS disk and put in the 7 disk so that it could verify I had it. Then swap the disks again and it would continue installing.</p>

<p>You just need the S/N and the install disk of a qualifying version of CS. You can find this note directly on Adobe's support page: "When purchasing an upgrade, be careful to choose one you qualify for because the installer will not work without the serial number from an eligible earlier version."<br>

Also note that the CS5 extended upgrade is $349 not $199 as you indicated in an earlier post</p>

<p><em>Why are you bothering to ask? You could try it, see if it works and have your answer in less time than it takes to type the question!</em></p>

<p>Such a pleasant and welcoming place, eh Anesh? Glad you eventually got what PN strives to serve.</p>

<p>Well seriously now, what's the procedure here? If you know the newer version upgrade is allowed from the older version, you try to install from the upgrade disc and within a couple of minutes it hits a point where it either tells you you need the old one installed, or asks for some verification that you have the old one. So you either go ahead and install the old one, or provide the verification. You'd get the answer faster that way than by asking on a forum.</p>

<p>I did read the post. He planned to buy a copy of CS4 or CS3 plus a CS5 upgrade. So he'd have both, and his question was only about the installation procedure. That is the question that's easy too answer by experimentation. He was very specific about what his question was, and my answer was perfectly reasonable.</p>

<p>Did you actually read the posts or do you just not like me for some reason? This i the second time recently you've gone out of your way to flame me for saying something reasonable. I don't think you understand what I've been writing, and I don't believe you're actually Garrison Keillor.</p>

<p>The OP clearly stated that his plan was to buy a copy of Photoshop CS3 or CS4 and a CS5 upgrade, yes? And then clearly stated that his question was whether, having done so, he needed to install the previous version before installing the upgrade. Am I wrong so far? The implication I read from the emphasis on "have" was that his preference was to install only CS5.</p>

<p>So given two options (install previous Photoshop then upgrade, or instal straight from upgrade disc) and knowing that at least one will work, why is it not a reasonable course of action to just try to install from the upgrade disc, and if that does not work, to install the previous version? At most, the OP would have lost a few minutes. The way it's going, Garrison, you've wasted much more of my time than the OP could possibly have spent on this.</p>

<p>To be clear, when I'm being rude I just post things like this: <a href="http://tinyurl.com/3yhzpeq"><click></a></p>