How do you folks manage film when on an extended trip? My fiance and

I are headed to Yosemite and Napa/Sonomoa for two weeks in the middle

of October. I'm bringing my field camera, holders, a chaging tent

and plenty of HP5, but I'm not sure how to keep track of exposed film

once it's unloaded. I'd considered switching to Acros and using

quickloads, but I haven't had and won't have time to finish doing

film speed and development time tests and to get comfortable with how

the film responds before I leave. Switching gear or technique just

before a big trip isn't a good idea anyway...

Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dean

Hold on, she is actually allowing you to take your camera?

No wonder you are marrying her!

I've heard that the best way is the box system described above. That or Quickloads/Readyloads. But then cost and film type can become an issue. Get three empty boxes and use them. Make sure they are help together with some rubber bands. That is a must.

Thanks for the responses. I've got several empty 25 sheet boxes lying around so N-, N and N+ shouldn't be a problem. The main thing I was/am concerned about was keeping track of which negative is which. I typically shoot both sides of a film holder on the same scene, using the B side as the backup. I guess just being careful to record which order you stack them in the appropriate box is all that's required, eh?

Do you guys have a template you like for a record keeping page? Something like the 2 sample sheets Adams has in "The Negative"?

Oh, and not only is she letting me take the camera. When I go out to shoot, she even assists by holding my meter or darkcloth or fetching film holders from out of the backpack. It would take significant head trauma for me to start thinking marrying her was a bad idea.

I use Arctic Zone cooler bags for packing filmholders, 8 to a bag. This is usually enough for 1-2 days of shooting. I prepare 2-3 cooler bags of holders in advance and throw the changing tent in the car, a box of fresh film in the cooler and an empty film box (or two if I'm using more than one film type)in case I need them. I've made up a film record sheet (1/4 sheet of 8 1/2x11, printed 4 up, both sides)on which I record the shot - one sheet, one cassette. (reference # on cassette gets written on record sheet.) Record gets film type, camera, lens, filter, exposure (and compensation) plus an area to chart the layout if a studio type shot, and an area to describe the shot generally so I can relate the record to the film if they get separated). The record stays with the filmholder until its processed. I don't normally pull the film out of the holders unless it happens that I need the holders - thats what the extra film boxes are for - the record sheets go in the box with the film in that case. This minimizes the amount of field reloading I have to do, but of course you do need to have a supply of holders! The record sheet is a Word document which prints 4 up each side in a regular printer (laser type preferred for its water resistance). I'm willing to make the file available if anybody is interested (contact me offline). I would be willing to contribute it Tuan's site if there's interest.

I like to use Grafmatics for color negative, since I don't try to push or pull for this type of film.

I don't really use transparencies in the field, anymore. I like to predict the result with type 55 polaroid, and then take two transparencies in a Fidelity at that exposure. Based on how the first comes out, I can push/pull the second to get the correct exposure.

Similarly, I like to use Fidelity holders for B&W for the same reason. I take two photos at the same exposure based on the shawdows. Then, I can push-pull the second photo if the first one doesn't have the correct highlights.

One additional point. For that part of the trip that you will be staying in a hotel/

motel see if you can find one with a bath without windows (I always ask that

question) and you can easily use it for comfortable loading and unloading

instead of the changing bag. Only additional piece of eequipment you need

is a roll of gaffer tape to seal the cracks.

Enjoy,

Ted

I have developed a pretty effective system to deal with film, holders and exposure info in the field that has served me well for several years now.

1. I always clean my holders thoroughly before the trip and slip them into zip lock bags to keep the dust out.

2. I print labels on my computer that leaves a place to identify each side of the holder (my holders are numbered by the way), the lens, film type, filter, f-stop, exposure time, indicated development, location, subject, date and time of day. I essentially duplicate this info twice on a label so I can easily record the info for both exposures.

3. I color code these labels with a magic marker so I can quickly tell whether I have TMX, TMY or EPN loaded in a particular holder.

4. When I return to my hotel room, I stack the exposed holders in the order in which I want to unload them. I might, for example unload all the N's at one time or all the N+1's, etc. This way I can put them into an appropriately marked film box and be assured of not misdeveloping anything later on.

5. I then take the labels off the zip locks and reattach to the backing sheets which I bring along with me. I arrange them in order of development type and sequence of exposure to match the pile in the boxes. I then label the groups accordingly: Day 1 - N+1, etc.

6. I bring a 1" camel hair brush (these may become rare shortly, once the bombs start falling, so get one soon) to dust out the holders and the dark slides one by one. I reload them and place in fresh zip locks and attach new lables (I bring a supply pre-color coded).

7. I ship my exposed and unexposed film back to myself before I return so I can avoid the X-rays and the hassle of air travel such as it has become. By the way, if you know of anyone who lives near your destination, you might try shipping film ahead. Perhaps a fellow LF forum contributor might be willing to help. Ship UPS or Fed-Ex and not USPS! The postal service scans everything with machines that will wipe out the film completely.

8. I bring some black plastic (the stuff paper comes in is great and can be split so it unfolds to twice the size) and some Scotch 235 black tape. These will help black out the windows that sometimes you have to deal with in smaller motels.

9. When you load and reload, run the shower for a couple of minutes on max hot to steam the air and drive down the dust. Get rid of the towels except for the one you may need to block light out from under the door. These create lots of lint in the air when rustled around. I generally use the toilet as my work surface. Symbolic? Anyway, I lay everything out on the tanks top surface and sit facing it, stradling the throne. Lid in the down position, of course! Once you do this a few times, you'll get very used to it. Just a warning, though: pack a scissors (in your checked luggage, please) so you'll have a means of cutting open the foil bags of film. When working in such cramped quarters in the dark, place the scissors on the floor next to you so you don't knock them off the tank and accidentally perform a circumscision!

Hope this helps and have a great time.

I carry a pad of Post-Its. If a holder's film is to be developed Normal, it gets nothing. If it's anything else, it gets a Post-It stuck to the slide with the free end tucked into the edge of the holder, labeled with what's supposed to happen. I, too, carry several labeled film boxes for each development time, developer, or whatever. With the loose end tucked in, the Post-It stays on, and at night in that light-tight bathroom I could probably sort the holders in the dark, but usually remember to do it before I turn the lights out.

By the way, you might want to buy film close to your destination, and ship your exposed film home via FED-EX, who, I'm told, are the only shippers left who DON'T X-ray packages. And the airport people, I'm told, will demand to X-Ray or, heaven forbid, open your film boxes for inspection. A good friend who's chief photographer for the US Geological Survey says that airport security is not fun for large format photographers these days if you don't want your film X-rayed (and he says that you don't, and I'll take his 30 years of experience as giving credibility to his view).

Your lady sounds wonderful. My wife is, too, because she just lets me go alone or with my USGS friend, and understands our peculiar compulsion. Good for you both!

Bruce Barlow