Should I buy Tamron or Sigma for my Nikon D90?

angelica_virgen

<p>Never buy Sigma, I've witnessed TWO Sigma lenses break their HSM motors, a 150mm macro and a 10-20mm (the new one). My lesson learned: if it ain't a real brand lens (Nikon, Canon or above) apply the K.I.S.S. principle (Keep It Simple Stupid)</p>

<p>For that reason I've chosen Tokina aka Tankina as my go-to lenses. 16-50 f2.8 and 50-135 f2.8. Extremely sharp, beautiful colours, yeah some classic Tokina purple fringing but easily correctable. Most importantly (for me) no AF-S or VR that will break up anyways.</p>

<p>I also have the Tokina 11-16, the 10-17 fisheye, the 100 macro and I'm waiting to get the 80-400.</p>

<p>My $0.02, KISS for anything not Nikon or Canon. That means good ol' reliable screw-driven focus and no OS gadgetry.</p>

<p>Javier: Aren't new Tokina 17-55 Di lenses internal-motor driven? If so, does that mean you'd recommend against it?</p>

<p>IMO, buy something from an authorized dealer. IIRC Tokina has a 5 year warranty and I think Sigma does as well. I'll have to check my card for my Sigma 10 - 20 :)</p>

<p>BJ: I am unaware of that lens but for long term reliability I would still vote for mechanical lenses, IMHO.<br>

Robert: the 150 macro was being used by my brother in his 50D taking some flower shots. After about 8 months of worries-free operation the focus ring started getting stiffer in the shorter focus distance. Mind you, my brother shoots indoors so dust or grit was not a concern. That particular day a loud whining noise and it wouldn't autofocus anymore. Since then the focus ring has gotten more and more decoupled in distances <1m, where it actually matters!</p>

<p>The 10-20 I saw in the street. This guy shooting and as I walked by I heard him curse the lens. I offered some help and he let me check the camera settings (450d I think). Again no signs of abuse, just a hsm motor gone bad.</p>

<p>I may have generalized a bit, but in the grand scheme of things I'd place my money in lenses that have the least amount of "stuff" that can go wrong". If Sigma and Tamron have such a reputation for having lax optical quality control, I doubt their electro-mechanical systems would be any different. Therefore, KISS</p>

<p>Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is the lens I use most of - the rest being Nikon. I am extremely happy with it - sharp wide open with good bokeh super sharp at F4 and beyond. Great focal length for portraiture.</p><div>00WTYd-244661584.thumb.jpg.fdbefa3d132e7ddc05e46b7d819f97e2.jpg</div>

<p>I've always felt Tamron has an optical edge over Sigma. Build quality about equal. I try to stick with Nikon too. I have a Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4 SP Aspherical full frame zoom which is superb. I shot it with my D700 all the time with superb results. Will never part with it, got it locally second hand for $150.</p>