Benefits of a Smartphone for a photography business?

<p>

<p>So I'm really thinking of going free-lance for my photography and taking it up to a business level :)</p>

<p>My current cell phone (LG Muziq) is starting to bite the dust after my constant use and abuse (reception losing out, battery life dwindling) and so I started to think about getting a smart phone.</p>

<p>I already have the ipod touch... so I was thinking Blackberry or even an iphone!</p>

<p>My question is: is there any real benefit of a smart phone (data plan, internet connectivity) to a photography business? Or should I just get my calling + texting and just leave it at that - and put the savings elsewhere?</p>

</p>

<p>Try this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8022</p>

<p>And scroll down to third post and enjoy what good use of an iPhone can gain you!</p>

<p>Could also be handy also for carrying a small portfolio. Oh and you can make phone calls too.</p>

<p>Apparently there may be HD video in the next iteration.</p>

<p>Ps I dont own one. When they come onto Pay As You Go I might!</p>

<p>It all depends on your 'style' of business. I still feel that for any business to succeed, one must keep overheads down. The first purpose of a phone is to be able to make calls. So excellent sound quality, signal reception and battery life should be a priority here. Any smartphone would be poor in battery life in comparison to a dedicated simple mobile phone device. Some are better than others, however, the more you cram into such small boxes, the more that could go wrong. As a user of a Windows CE smartphone for almost six years, I still love mine. When it first came to me I loved how I could keep in touch with my business emails, go on msn to make appointment with friends and that my diary was on the phone. The synchronisation process with my pc was wonderfully simple. I am not in business any more. I still use this phone for typing on the move. Although, the purchase of a new 10 inch Samsung NB30 netbook has made the phone a little redundant for typing, but for text messages, I prefer that.<br>

The iPhone, which I have tested is a smart device indeed, but to me, it seems to be offer a little too much in terms of hype. It is more a fashion and status symbol. If possessing one might get you clients as they would be attracted by your fashion conscious lifestyle, go for it! I suspect, your clients would be approaching you for photographic ability and to a lesser extent, the gear and speciality offered to them.<br>

One post script, you will make more money by shooting and less money by being on the phone, unless of course, the latter procures business. If you are running a business, get a business phone that offers the very best keyboard for your typing or texting needs. Not everyone like the on screen typing.</p>

<p>I use a Samsung Omnia (Windows Mobile-based smart phone). Piece of cake to have it constantly up to date on several mailboxes, and it can surf most kinds of web content. Portable Excel spreadsheets and Word docs, decent file management and photo viewing. Very helpful for general business activities. But I also have 3G wireless I can use with any laptop/netbook, and that's been as (or more) important - since it's very handy for pushing larger files around, processing credit cards, etc.<br /><br />Business, today, is entirely about being connected. Sales and marketing is entirely about responsiveness. Instant communication. In a line of work as competitive as photographic services, you have to weigh the overhead of carrying those extra bandwidth/service bills against your availability to your customers and prospects. I almost <em>never</em> talk to people on the phone these days, unless it's a call we set up via e-mail or TXT first. Once that started happening, the net-enabled phone became a must have, not just a cool thing to play with.</p>

I am pleased with my iphone, it depends on what you can afford as far as memory goes. I have 6GB with unlimited internet and it works for me. I think the biggest down fall is the battery life when using the internet. A car charger is a must.

<p>The way I read your original post is you are in love with gadgets (as many of us are, including me). However, I suspect you are lusting after the next new shiny, and trying to come up with a reason for buying it.<br>

I suspect you haven't done the basics of developing your business plan to understand what gear you need, and what market you are serving. Unless you have a spouse/parents that are supporting you in your hobby business, most new businesses start out extremely cash starved. You have to do the spreadsheet whether you can realistically afford such a expense, and what benefits does it bring. For instance if you go with the phone, you may have to forgo buying a better lens or backup body that you may need more.<br>

For example, do you need to connect to the internet in the field? If you are a news photographer and need to upload your photos to your employer as fast as possible, then yes it may be a necessary expense. If you are driving to many different clients and need to use the map or gps facility, then again it may be a necessary expense. If instead, you are using it to read photo.net or update your facebook profile, then it is likely not to be a necessary expense.<br>

Another thought on internet access is unlimited rarely means unlimited. Most cell plans in the US are around 5GB. If you are uploading a lot of photos, that can quickly turn into a profit center for the phone company as you pay for all of those bytes above 5GB. Until we upgraded to FIOS, we had a 3G connection to the internet, and I discovered I couldn't upgrade my web server with the pictures I took without getting hit by the fees, and had to upload from a laptop from a location that didn't have the extra bandwidth fees. Also, speed isn't always the greatest, and there are still large areas where you don't get adequate service (like New York city a few months ago for instance if memory serves).<br>

In terms of apps on the ipad/iphone, who cares? Get out and hone your skills, and not rely on apps.<br>

If you are just trying to impress your clients how cool you are that you have the latest toys, then bear in mind it keeps getting more expensive to play in that league and today's new shiny becomes yesterday's has been very quickly. You just have to figure in the cost of continually upgrading your gadgets to impress an ever more jaded crowd that you have what it takes. Hopefully your photos are stunning that you can command such fees. However, my impression is except for the lucky few, it is a hopeless game to enter, and not one to base a business plan on.</p>

<p>For me - editorial stock photographer - being able to receive and answer emails when I'm away from the office is a must. The faster I reply to clients requests for images, assistance, pricing question etc the better - even if that reply is a short "I'm out of the office now but will send you a more detailed answer as soon as possible". That goes back to the 101 of being a really great listener - make the person you're communicating with feel like they are the center of your universe and the only point of your concentration.<br /><br />Personally brands aren't really important to me. I picked a BlackBerry simply because it was the best option available when I renewed my contract with Verizon. <br /><br />As a business tip, don't get one unless you know you will need it, especially not when starting out. There will be plenty of other things to spend your money on and every little saving helps.</p>

<p>The phone will be most important to the marketing people. Beyond that, have other people answer your emails and take your calls. Only give your phone number to a core few who will only call you in an emergency. Beyond that, I wouldn't fuss much with the phone, except maybe to have a number to give someone whose call you will ignore. Think on it like that, and the phone bill will go down and the photos will get back in charge. Good luck. J.</p>