Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AFD Repair

vivid light photography

<p>I have a Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AFD Zoom lens that I've owned for about six and a half years. I've had it serviced once under warranty with Nikon just before the five year warranty expired for a cracked manual/autofocus ring. They replaced the ring and adjusted the lens. It seems to work fine however this weekend the rubber on the zoom ring started to spin independently of the zoom ring it's self. I rolled the rubber back and underneath was a very thin black plastic band that was tapped together at the ends with with tape and a short gap between the ends were the tape was allowed to adhire to the zoom ring. It had become loose and the tape wasn't holding it still anymore. I removed it and rolled back the rubber in place and it seems fine for now. The rubber holds in place pretty well unless you force it and it then lifts up slightly but does not slip. However, there are two racetrack shaped slots on the ring opposite of each other with what looks like adjustment screws below that are not covered by the thin black plastic strip anymore. Does anyone know if this plastic strip removed poses any issues. I was also thinking of using some good quality double sided tape as well to keep the rubber from lifting but not sure it's necessary. Any suggestions for a proper repair without sending it back to Nikon. It's not a hard repair worth the time and money they'll probably want.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>You can use double sided tape, the foam type, and when the ring isn't strached wore out too much it works perfectly. The first week it is somewhat thick but that becomes less.<br>

Or order a new one: <a href="http://www.nikonservice.nl/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_58&products_id=326&osCsid=b4fb55b4791345850fe8b21a147c3893">http://www.nikonservice.nl/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_58&products_id=326&osCsid=b4fb55b4791345850fe8b21a147c3893</a><br>

Probably available in other places too.</p>