Myrtle Beach Area in August

william_roberts4

<p>Hello all,<br>

I will be visiting the Grand Strand area in August. I will be staying in North Myrtle Beach, and I do have a week and my own transportation. I know I am going to be going to Brookgreen Gardens and definitely Georgetown, maybe more south. Anyone know any great scenic or wildlife locations in the area? I am thinking of going north maybe to see the USS North Carolina. I also heard there is a state park somewhere close by that has ruins of a plantation? Are there any plantation locations open for photography too? Thanks for everyone's help!<br>

William</p>

<p>Near Brookgreen about a half mile on the otherside of the highway is Atalaya the summer home of the Huntington's. An artist colony that looks like a cross between a prison and a sprawling one story settlement. Very interesting. Look that up. Most of the statuary in Brookgreen was created there.<br>

Going south on hwy 17 towards Georgetown there is the plantation of Bernard and Bell Baruch called the Hobcaw Barony. It is about a mile and a half before you get to Georgetown - it will be on the left.<br>

Also you could do a day trip down to Magnolia Plantation outside of Charleston. A beautiful place to photograph.<br>

In Georgetown you could take the cruise out to North Island for shelling. You will pass the North Island Lighthouse to get a photograph of it. There are other short cruises from the Georgetown dock.<br>

Also, in Wilmington, there are a couple of cruises with good photographic possiblities.</p>

<p>Huntington Beach State Park is opposite Brookgreen Gardens and is great for 'gators and birds. I usually have my best luck on the causeway that separates the freshwater and saltwater areas of water. I park just beyond it and walk back with camera/tripod. A word of caution: the 'gators go wherever they want. I have seen them on both sides of the causeway and also crossing it. There are a couple/few boardwalks that go through the swampy areas that provide additional access to mainly birds. I haven't been back there since 2007, but it has been my favorite spot on several Myrtle Beach vacations.</p>

<p>Try Pawleys island or murrels inlet early in the morning,if you get to the beach in the morning before the crowds and for the sunrise the sea oats on the beaches make for nice backdrops. I'm going in july so i will post some pics when i get back</p>