Where I work

dawsonjm

<p>I rest my case: <br /><em></em></p>

<ul>

<li><em>"This seems to follow my thinking that engineers just don't listen very well."</em> -- Russel</li>

<li><em>"3. do the engineers job for them" -- Russel</em></li>

<li>"<em>People don't understand the problem because engineers can't explain it ... ignorant folks are easier to control and make money off of." -- Russel<br /></em></li>

</ul>

<p>This common episode once again reminds me of one of my favorite dialogs ...<em></em></p>

<ul>

<li>Q: <em>"Well, I would certainly begin, by examining the cause, and not the symptom."</em></li>

<li>L: <em>"We've done that already, Q, and there's no way to--"</em></li>

<li>Q: <em>"This is obviously the result of a large celestial object passing through at near-right angles to the plane of the star system. Probably a black hole."</em><em></em></li>

<li><em>D: "Can you recommend a way to counter the effect?"</em><em></em></li>

<li><em>Q: "Simple. Change the gravitational constant of the universe."</em></li>

<li><em></em><em>L: "What?"</em><em></em></li>

<li><em>Q: "Change the gravitational constant of the universe, thereby </em><em>altering the mass of the asteroid."</em><em></em></li>

<li><em>L: "Redefine gravity. And how am I supposed to do </em><em>that?"</em></li>

<li>Q: <em>"You just do it! Ow! Where's that doctor anyway?"</em></li>

<li><em>D: "L is trying to say that changing the gravitational</em><em> constant of the universe is beyond our capabilities."</em><em></em></li>

<li><em>Q: "Oh. Well, in that case, never mind."</em><em></em></li>

</ul>

<p>Ironically the espisode is entitled "DejaQ." ;)</p>

<p>I remember that episode.... :-)</p>

<p>I won't pretend to be an engineer, nor say that I completely understand global economics, but I'd venture to say that the situation is complicated. Convenience is a powerful motivator; the existing system is more convenient than changing things. But it's possible it evolve over time, and bring things to where convenience is in balance with common sense...But honestly I don't see that change happening in my children's lifetime. We're thirsty for convenience, not common sense.</p>

<p>Which is why that when you are not giving solutions that you feel work ...<strong> You come up with your own, and see them through! Solve it! Be a hero!<br /></strong><br>

Becoming an engineer is simple. Design something. Change the world. It's happened before. As much as people say its engineers and engineering business leaders doing this, it's also because consumers don't want to accept compromises.<br>

The problem is a good portion of the population make engineer bang their heads on the wall. Because they can't even comprehend 17th century, classic physics, much less electronics, energy and what not.<br>

In the above espisode, "L" eventually came up with an idea off of "Q"'s comments. Unfortunately, it didn't work. It wasn't feasible. It didn't solve the problem. It was impossible to use it. For every suggestion I've ever heard, there have been dozens of failures.<br>

The key is being the engineer that can make something work. The R&D has been on-going for years. Most people have never looked at the trillions of dollars in research that has been spent on energy. It's easy to mandate CO2 emissions. But without actual solutions, nothing changes.<br>

Even EU nations are missing their Kyoto targets. Several have been granting themselves exceptions. The German auto industry and engineering societies recently united on this front. But just like NIST, you can get 99.999% of licensed engineers to say and agree, and yet people will assume they have alterior motives.</p>

<p>Just one last word on the subject. I knew that these photos would spark some controversy, and they certainly did. For my part, I majored in English Lit., taught grade school, then came to work out here. It has always been a challenge to keep such a large project running, but it is also satisfying. I am a Operations Shift Supervisor, which means that it is my responsibility to oversee the minute by minute and hour by hour operations. We have two people in the coal yard, who unload trains, reclaim coal from storage and send it into the plant. In the plant, we have two control room operators that monitor and control the boiler, turbine, generator and many auxiliary systems. There are two more operators in the plant that watch over all the machinery, operate the water plants, and run the ash systems. That is all there is on nights and weekends when there is no maintenance support, unless there is something that needs to be fixed, then I make that decision and call in the appropriate crafts.</p>

<p>As far as energy is concerned, I am counting on progress on many fronts. I am familiar with the solar projects going forward in southern Nevada, and am not sold on them either. They will cover vast acreages, destroying whatever land cover was there for decades or centuries even after they are abandoned. So like hydro power, yes it is renewable, but always with environmental costs.</p>

<p>It was really nice to see a civil discussion on these issues, because they are often not. Thanks to everyone that has participated.</p>

<p>As for the photos, they were taken with my K20D and my new DA17-70. I find that I am leaving that lens on the camera almost all the time, and like it better and better as time goes on. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>And attitudes like <em >that</em> are precisely why the most apocalyptic predictions of the most radical environmentalists are the most likely outcomes.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>1) CO2 is NOT a freakin pollutant. It's what gives us plants and plants are food. Want to feed more people w/ better growing plants? Put more CO2 in the air.<br>

Ok, that's off my chest.<br>

Power has been the fuel for the industrial revolution that gave us the standard of living we have today. Cheap, available, and reliable power would go a long way to lifting 3rd world countries out of their squalor (we can go into their political problems & dictators elsewhere).<br>

Refusing to let those 3rd world countries have access to the power they need to grow their economies & feed their citizens in order to save a few trees that we're told are dying because of CO2? Cruelty.<br>

Sending our economy back to an agrarian economy w/ the illnesses, hardships, and death people faced every day just to keep a radical loon happy? Cruelty. And both unnecessary.</p>

<p>Just to brush on people's purchasing choices (cars, plastics, whatever you will).....<br>

Funny thing about the capitalist system people seem to forget or ignore. No company forces you to buy their product. You don't want it, you don't buy it, they lose money. Now, products are invented, and companies try to create the demand for this product, but they can not COMPEL you to buy it. When demand doesn't come, and the company loses money, the product goes away.<br>

You are voting with your dollars! If you don't like your choices, get out there and create a new one! Pizza Hut started with 2 college students. Amazon.com started with a small publishing company having an annual clearance sale. And Apple started in a garage. GO! This is still America, and while it may be getting harder.... YOU CAN DO IT.</p>

<p>Maria -- Thanx for saying what I wanted to say.<br>

As the sign on the Animal Shelter says, "If you don't like what you see here, volunteer!"<br>

The world needs solutions. Because consumers aren't going to stop consuming.</p>