low light question

yacoub_isaac

<p>It depends on what kind of low light situations do you mean: dynamic or static. VR can help you for static objects. For shooting dynamic objects in low light situations you need fast lenses and high ISO capability.<br>

Static: D90 + VR lenses<br>

Dynamic: D700 + f/2.8 lenses or faster<br>

You should upgrade your D70s in any case.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Eric, I have the 80-200 (also used on a D80, which is same weight and size as a D90), so what I stated before is my personal preference. Little point in disputing that. I know the physics, and I know handholding my 80-200 properly (meaning holding the lens, keep arm rested on chest, control breathing) is <em>for me</em> way easier than a long feather-weight lens like the 70-300G on the same body. For the 80-200, I can do 1/fl, for the 70-300, I will need way more (closer to 1 / 3*fl typically).<br>

So try before you buy is a simple but effective advice here, since not all people are alike, and op may like a heavier lens over a lighter one maybe.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>wouter, i see your point. i have the 70-300 ED and camera shake at 200mm and beyond is noticeable, to the point where i have to do 1/ 1/2 FL to avoid blur. but i typically only use that lens handheld in daylight.</p>

<p>the OP was specifically referring to low-light situations, however. even with good handholding technique, a non-stabilized 46 oz. hunk o' metal will be challenging under those conditions. there are other issues with the 80-200 as well, such as AF speed. at 27.5 oz, the 50-150 is a hefty lens, but not overwhelmingly so, and the HSM motor is very fast to acquire focus, even in dim lighting conditions. the differences in weight can mean the difference between a too-dark shot or a too-blurry shot vs. an acceptable capture. that's all i'm saying.</p>