What am I missing?

sandeep_kumar10

<p>Sandeep,</p>

<p>Have you ever considered an ultrawide angle zoom? The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 or the Nikkor 10-24mm 1/3.5-4.5G. I realize it might not be your most useful lens for your little girl, but ultrawide has been very rewarding and fun for my photography. The Tokina makes fantastic sun stars!</p>

<p>Otherwise, you may consider the 35mm f/1.8, which is good value.</p>

<p>I have heard many good things about the 70-200mm + TC14 combo.</p>

<p>For macro, my dream lens is the micro 200mm f/4. A nice wide angle lens with close focus distance is the AIS 28mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p>Jonas</p>

<p>I'd buy as much as possible different storage media and save money to upgrade hard-and software in the future in order to store/archive your photo's. This to guarantee your daughter will have photos of her childhood when she has grown up. Another way is to add a camera to shoot film. Just to minimize the effords of archiving. (Not intended as a pun to digitial or to start an endless digital-film discussion).</p>

<p>If you want to save a few $$$s, look at the AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX Nikkor lens. On your DX body, it will (sort of) act like a 50mm lens with the crop factor. That would leave you with some $$$s left for either a used AF 60mm Micro-Nikkor, or the newer (but more costly) AF-S 85mm VR Micro-Nikkor lens.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>The two lenses you have cover a lot of bases at the highest zoom quality Nikon can offer in those zoom ranges. So either a dedicated 1.4 prime or a dedicated macro are the only things that would "add options" over your current set-up - but Tim Holte's suggestion is the best "non-lens" option.</p>

<p>What are you missing? Perhaps a portfolio here on photo.net to show off your images.</p>

<p>Sandeep, you already have a nice camera and two high-end lenses. It is time to go out (or stay home) to take more pictures. In particular, your lenses are way an overkill if your main subject is your 2 year old. Most parents use point-and-shoot cameras for that purpose.</p>

<p>I too would suggest not to buy any more lenses until you realize a specific need. I don't particularly like those f1.4 lenses because depth of field is very shallow at f1.4 or even f2, and those lenses are a little soft wide open. The end result is usually some mediocre images. In the old days, film became very poor beyond ISO 400 so that fast lenses were necessary, today, even though I use an f1.4, I try to stop down to f4, f5.6 to get better image quality and better depth of field.</p>

<p>So think about what you really need; spend more time taking pictures and if you want to improve, get the images critiqued, or take some photo classes as suggested. Those extra Rupees are not exactly burning a hole in your pocket, right?</p>

<p>Hi everyone - thanks for all your comments. Having seen what several people had to say, I have decided to leave my money in my wallet for now. I will try to spend more time taking photos with what I have, and then add to my gear. I guess, my next lens would be a 50mm f/1.4, don't want to open a whole new debate around Sigma vs Nikkor. <br>

Thanks again for your thoughtful input, appreciate that!!<br>

I will set up a portfolio on photo.net soon.</p>