returning to Leica

<p>After using an M4 and M6 for about 40 years (with Summicrons of 28,35,50 and an Elmarit 90), mainly because of the price of the M8 I got a Nikon D300 2 years ago with 35/1.8, 50/1.4 and 17-55/2.8. I am considering buying a second hand M8.2 to be able to use my excellent Leica glas. My main subjects are city-/landscapes and grandchildren.<br>

My questions are:<br />1- What Leica lenses should I keep or exchange? (maybe swapping Elmarit 90 with Biogon 21/4.5?)<br />2- Should I keep the D300 as a family shoot camera?<br />3- Which Nikon lenses would you keep in this case?<br>

Money is of course a limitation.<br>

Thank you for your thoughts/comments.<br>

rgds.</p>

<p>The three summicrons seem like a great kit to me for the M8.2.<br>

28, 35 and 50 are the only FLs I use with my M8.<br>

I also have a D700 (before that a D300). The limitations of the RF system just won't allow me to eliminate a DSLR from my kit.<br>

And I can think of plenty of opportunities that could arise with your grandchildren, where the smallish M8.2 could offer nice advantages over the larger D300.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Seems like you are a wide angle aficionado. Personally, I would sell the Summicron 35mm and keep the 90mm Elmarit. I would also sell the nikon 50mm f1.4. Okay, now buy the Biogon 21mm f4.5, because I think you really want it. However, I think it is too slow for anything but your landscape work. Keep everything else.</p>

<p>opposite of what leslie said.. you must be pretty strong to lug around that heavy dslr equipment every where and keep up with your grand children around!</p>

<p>personally i'm happy with a 35 and m8 for every day life ;)</p>

<p>IMHO, You have too many lens already. Do not need to add any lens if money is a factor.<br />A sencond hand M8, not M8.2 is good enough. There is no significant deference in case of imagine quality between M8. M8.2 and M9. Ok, the M9 is Full frame.<br />Keep all the summicrons, let go the Elmarit 90. It will too hard to use on M8 as a 120mm lens.<br />Keep the Nikon with a 35/1.8, 50/1.4. Let go the 17-55/2.8.<br />Just my 5 cents. Enjoy your cameras!<br>

Fogot to mention that I just returned to leica from Canon 5D. I think 1 camera with 2 lens is more than enough for ME in both cases of DSLR or Leica.</p>

<p>I too love rangefinders for kid shots, so much less to worry about with busy kids running around. I have a Nikon and sold off the zooms (as Zhao also recommends) now just have an old AIS 35/2.8 and a 50/1.4. I have an M8 and M6 as I shoot a lot of film. Currently on the M8, 50% of the time I use a 35 summarit-m. I think your cron will be more rewarding. Your 28 or 35 is likely to be most used. The M8 has framelines for all the lenses you mention. You might consider a Voigtlander 21/4 for something very wide. You need to consider the crop factor (x1.3) when selecting the viewfinder though.</p>

<p>it's a perfect set up for me, family/kids/events/landscapes/city walkabouts and to have a camera with me always.</p>

<p>I have used a Nikon D300 for several years. A year ago I bought a M4 Leica and fell in love with it and I now have a M8.2 and I have pretty much decided that I am going to be shooting with rangefinders for the most part. I will keep the D300 since I think I still would like to have a DSLR for some things. I am pretty much a wide angle shooter. I use a 28mm lens on my M4 for my normal lens. I use a Zeiss 21mm,2.8 Biogon on my M8.2 for my normal lens which is the equivalent to a 28mm on a full frame camera. The Zeiss 21mm is very sharp and is pretty much distortion free. It’s a great lens. It sounds like you are on the right track with option 1 and 2. You will have to decide which Nikon lenses to give up. I would probably keep the zoom for shooting kids.</p>