Got rear ended and my camera took a hit.

Alex

<p>About a month ago I got rear ended and the camera 40D flew from the set to the dash board. Since the hit the focus seems to be off front or back but not the same as before, it does a bit of hunting before locking and it is just not fun to use any more.<br>

I did not research yet how much are this bodies going for nor what could be the cause of the problem and the cost to repair this issue.<br>

Does anyone one have a rough idea on the cost to replace the focusing system if such thing is possible? or would you think it is not worth spending money on it any more?<br>

Thanks<br>

Alex</p>

<p>Probably at least a couple benjamins. Realize impact damage is not always obvious until disassembled, so Canon may not be able to give you a solid estimate until teardown.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Alex, very sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope you and all involved were not injured.</p>

<p>As PF mentioned, impact damage can be very difficult to assess without thorough disassembly and detailed inspection. And even then, it's sometimes nearly impossible to see hairline cracks in circuit boards and components that could affect their operation. A common malady from impact is sporadic operation or intermittent failures. These can be maddening for the operator, and frustrating to diagnose for service technicians. Is it time for a new camera?</p>

<p>Contents damage should be covered by the auto insurance of the person that hit you. Except if you were hit from the rear wouldn't the camera have traveled backwards towards the seat?<br>

Or did you hit someone from the rear?<br>

The Physic's ain't matching up here.</p>

<p>I had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago. Had the camera in the trunk in a backpack and got rear ended. Nothing was obviously broken, but my 17-40 got bumped out of alignment and was all of a sudden VERY soft. It had to be sent back to Canon for repair/calibration. The insurance company for the car that hit us paid for it.</p>

<p>I'd let the insurance company know of your concerns, tell them you'd like to send it back to Canon to be inspected/calibrated and that if it shows signs of internal impact damage that you'd like them to pay for it. They should be fairly open to that, especially if you told them early on that the camera was in the car and got knocked off the seat. If this is the first they've heard of it and it's been a month I could see them being a little skeptical.</p>