Trouble viewing Hi-Def from Canon 7D

ric_easton

<p>I just took my first test shot video files with my new 7D and was anxious to see how they would look on my HD. Results were underwhelming to say the least. The cable that they supply you with is an RCA type red,white and yellow (audio/video) connector. When I plugged into mmy HD set it was not displaying it in HD, but standard def. I had to use the set's zoom feature to fill the screen and besides just being a standard def picture zoomed in, there was some color bleeding. I realized this was probably all due to the connector. <br>

To properly view it in HD I am imaging I would need an HDMI cable... and therein lies the rub. My HD set is about 7 years old and made before HDMI was available, so there is no connection. I have always hooked up everything thru component (a red/green/blue video cable). Is there a way to hook into component inputs with this camera?<br>

My second arrempt to watch the video files were on my computer with Quicktime. The video was extremely stuttery (though the sound was smooth). Perhaps my video card can't handle it? Any ideas on that front?<br>

I bought the camera mainly for stills, but was still anxious to see how it performed video wise. So far, I have yet to find out. Any help would be appreciated!</p>

<p>Red/White/Yellow cable is usually for composite signal, one for video and two for audio, left and right channel stereo. So you should not expect HD from this cable, and naturally you got standard vidoe quality.</p>

<p>The component video cable is usually red/green/blue, and you also need additional two cables for your audio associated with the component video signal.</p>

<p>You need at least HDMI to Component cable, or better yet a converter box.</p>

<p>On Amazon.com, or on newegg.com search for "HDMI to component" or for "component to HDMI", and it will find you bunch of cables and devices. Some seem work OK, some do not. Do your own research what makes sense for you and how much you are willing to spend.</p>

<p>In your camera you need memory card that is rated at least 30 MB/sec. since latest AVCHD format uses 24 MB/sec or 17 MB/sec. Note that so called "Class 10" only guarantees 10 Mb/Sec, and you may possibly have card that is far too slow for smooth video in HD formats.</p>

<p>Thanks, Frank! </p>

<p>And sorry for all the typos! I wasn't even aware that an HDMI to component converter existed! Though between a cable and the converter box it looks like it'll set me back 90 bucks or so. So, it may be awhile until I spring for it. Since an extra battery and bigger CF cards are now on my Amazon wishlist since I got the new camera. Oh, and not to mention a 10-22mm lens!</p>

<p>Looks like my CF card just makes the cut. It's an "Extreme" rated at 30 MB/sec. </p>

<p>In any event, looks like it'll be a little while until I can take a gander at that HD video!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p><strong>Canon 7D video tips</strong><br>

Rick you are not alone in the 7D frame drop problem. Apparently only very fast computers or those with high-end video cards play them smoothly.</p>

<p>After some research I found one pain -in-the-ass solution. You can convert the files to another format, MP4 for example, and they play smoothly on my computer. (so maybe it's not <em>just </em>a speed problem)</p>

<p><a href="http://www.squared5.com/">http://www.squared5.com/</a></p>

<p>Get your video converter at that site.</p>

<p>I plan to create a Web page for 7D video tips soon (once I get a handle on 7D video)<br>

I'm currently using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD (demo) to string 7D clips together.</p>

<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/11478754"><strong>Here's a sample of some Canon 7D clips</strong></a></p>

<p>Thanks, J.</p>

<p>And thanks also for telling me what you are using to string the clips together. I had no idea where to turn for that. When I'm finally able to view this stuff in HD, I'd much rather have it as one long clip than 30 short ones!</p>

<p>I think it's too bad that you just can't keep shooting as the same clip when it video shooting mode (unless I am missing something).</p>

<p>Btw, nice flying shots! What ISO were you at when shooting the city at night?</p>

<p>J.,</p>

<p>I shoot video all day long on a News Camera, so I am just used to how things work that way. It will take some major getting used to until I am comfortable with the 7D as a video shooter. I know some folks have shot entire weddings with this thing, but right now, I would be a disaster at it! A camera sitting on your shoulder gives you a nice steady shot... holding the 7D in front of you... not so much. Also being able to focus on that LCD in bright sunlight is quite challenging!</p>

<p>At this time I don't have any definitive plans for video, but I was thinking about helping a friend as a second camera at wedding shoots.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
<p>All I can say it must be the video card as I have not had any problems with the video on the 7D, here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG-NsfOXnPE is a short clip that I took today, lens is a Sigma 100-300 f/4 with a 1.4 teleconverter. Used Sony Vegas Pro9, rendered in High Definition windows media as it is faster uploading to youtube. I do have a very fast graphic card.</p>