Are Macro lenses only for Macro work ?

vikas_kohli

<p>Mocro lenses don't have to be telephoto lenses. Macro lenses are generally those that can achieve a magnification of 1:1. This means that a macro lens will create an image on the camera sensor that is the same size as the subject. </p>

<p>In order to achieve macro, macro lenses have a sepcial focusing mechanize that allows you to achieve focus hen the subject is very close to the lens. For example youre Sigma 50 11.4 has a minimum focusing distance of 1.5ft. In comparison a true 50mm macro willl have a minimum focusing of about 7 or 8 inches to the subject. The Tamron 90mm isn't a macro because it is a telephoto lens. It is a macro because it has a focusing mechanism that allows you to get the lens very close to the subject. Most telephoto lenses cannot focus very close to the subject and therefore cannot achieve macro magnification.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>what can a macro do that my existing lenses can not do other than give me more aperture at 90/105 ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your existing lenses don't have focusing mechanisms that will alow you to get the lens close to enough to the subject to achieve 1:1 magnification. </p>

<p>If you want to get into macro photography the best thing to do is to buy a dedicated macro lens with 1:1 magnification capability. I have used the Tamron 90mm macro and it is a good lens. </p>

<p>In addition to being a superlative macro lens, the 55mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor (mine is an AIS, circa 1985) is also a terrific lens for general photography. It is very sharp and contrasty, and it has the added benefit of focusing down to 9.8" unaided for a 1:2 reproduction ratio. The f/2.8 maximum aperture is plenty fast enough for most applications.</p>

I use my Nikon 'Micro' lens for general purpose type shots. I often carry only two lenses - 35mm and 85mm, or 55mm Micro and 105mm Micro. Adds variety to walk-arounds.

For me, with respect to my 'Micro' lenses, the focal length matters more than 'Micro' or not. For me, the 'Reproduction Ratio' markings on the lens barrel makes a difference. I also purchased each 'Micro' lens with the corresponding extension ring which allow 1:1. BTW, depending on the alignment of the planets, I might use any extension ring with any lens.

105mm f/4 Micro - skin tones with flash

im02009-f

55mm f/2.8 Micro - mid-range 'landscape'

We all choose equipment for different reasons. For me, who has refrained from zoom lenses, a macro lens and extension rings expand my photo adventures in a modular way. One of my reasons for staying with the 35mm format is the lower cost range of optics. Macro lenses are an example.

Good luck.