Minolta Autocord.. ok for MF virgin?

giverin

<p>I'd really like to try my hand at MF photography. I've seen so many great shots with a level of detail that my 35mm bodies couldn't match. I can't afford to spend a fortune. I only shoot b&w and do my own developing and printing. Luckily I do have a suitable MF lens and neg carrier for my enlarger.</p>

<p>I've seen a Minolta Autocord which I may be able to get for a reasonable price. Is this a good "first" MF camera? I know that it doesn't have built in metering but apart from that, it seems fine. I have read that the focusing lever can break off but it seems to be fine on this one.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance. </p>

<p>The Minolta Autocord is a superb camera with one major flaw. One has to be very careful, when opening the back for loading-unloading the camera, to be sure NOT to leave the focus lever in a mid-position. It should be completely right or left because in the mid position it is subject to breakage from undue pressure from the back swinging open. This flaw is part of its strong point. The taking lens is mounted in a focusing helical just like 35mm lenses which provides very solid positive lens alignment unlike the flimsy boxes on Yashicas and others. You are much less likely to knock the lens out of alignment if you bump the front standard.</p>

<p>Paul -</p>

<p>The Autocord is a really excellent performer. A friend has three, I think with Rokkor or Rokonon taking lenses. I use Rollei TLR's, but his Autocords I think are easily the equal to them, superb image quality. Of his three, only one had the infamous focus lever failure. He said it was just a weak casting, not very durable. It was repaired via handcrafting a new part, I think the technician is in the L.A area, likely most good repairmen can take care of it if the part should fail.</p>

<p>The other choice could be either a Rolleicord with Xenar lens, or the 124 series from Yashica, all very capable cameras. You'll love the larger negatives, very enjoyable format. Don't overlook some of the old folders, some great items in that field also. Good luck with the search. </p>

<p>Patrick </p>

<p>Alternatively you could get a nice 645 SLR, such as a Bronica ETRSi, for very little money. The SLR format is closer to what you're used to, and the 645 neg is 2.7x the size of 35mm negs, so you'll see a huge improvement. It's also more flexible and the leaf shutter lenses flash sync at all speeds.</p>