K-x kit lens - lens hood availability?

runswithsizzers

<p>Sadly my K-x did not come with a lens hood for the stock DA L 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6.</p>

<p>Apparently, the required lens hood is Pentax model PH-RBA, but here is the problem: that item is presently out of stock from Pentax, Amazon, B&H, and Adorama.</p>

<p>I bought a cheap plastic imitation - Fotodiox brand - on Amazon, but it doesn't fit very well, and I'm afraid it's going to come off if it gets the slightest bump. I want the lens hood to do two things for me: A. The obvious, keeping sunlight off the front element, and, B. Keeping the front element off of rocks when scrambling up slickrock trails in Utah. So I'm hoping the Pentax version fits more securely.</p>

<p>Any advice?</p>

<p>Does anyone know if PH-RBC, which is made for the "WR" version of the 18-55 mm will work?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

-gw</p>

<p>I got a rubber one from Adorama and it works ok, but causes a little vignetting at 18mm so I usually end up not bringing it. I just use my Zing neoprene case for scrambling if I'm traveling light, and a pack if things are likely get a little beyond just scrambling.<br>

I'd like one of those Pentax ones too if you can find them.</p>

<p>Matt - yeah, if it gets rough, mine will go into a foam padded back pack. But otherwise, I'd rather avoid anything between me and the camera.</p>

<p>The Zing cases look pretty good, but as near as I can tell, I would have 2 minor issues:</p>

<ul>

<li>It's still a camera-on-a-strap, which results in the pendulum effect, and,</li>

<li>What do you do with it when it's off the camera? I don't want it dangling off the camera getting in my way, and I don't want to lay it on the ground - will it fit in a pocket?</li>

</ul>

<p>Rather than hijack my own thread, I've started a new one, about camera cases:<br>

http://www.photo.net/pentax-camera-forum/00WMiG</p>

<p>

<p>thanks,<br>

-gw</p>

</p>

<p>Yeah, to minimize swinging I'll wear it across my chest and put the camera by my back. But that can get awkward, so if I'm wearing a small pack and want the camera handy I'll clip the sternum strap of the pack over the camera strap to minimize swinging with it in front.<br>

I have clipped the Zing case to the camera strap but it is annoying as you suspected. I can stuff it in a generous pocket, but something like jeans wouldn't work very well. A jacket pocket can work.<br>

But I want a holster too so I'm off to your other thread to see what I can learn!</p>

<p>Gary, I think they have the Pentax PH-RBA hood at KEH. Cheaper, too.</p>

<p>The hood for the DA 18-55 WR, PH-RBC, <em><strong>does NOT fit</strong></em> on the DA 18-55 AL II. I currently own both, the bayonet mountings are a little different.</p>

<p>Tom, I assume you are not a big fan of polarizing filters? I won't try to describe the effect here, but to control the degree of the effect, a photographer needs to rotate a polarizing filter. The "open" thing is an access port so the filter can be rotated without removing the hood - cool!</p>

<p>Actually, I can think of another filter besides the polarizer which might need to be rotated - the half-frame neutral density filter. Half of the filter is clear, and the other half reduces your exposure; the transition between the clear part and the neutral density part is a gradient. Landscape photographers would typically put the neutral density part up, to prevent a bright sky from burning out as overexposed, but in special circumstances, the darkening effect might need to be rotated to cover some other area of the image.</p>