Schneider 75mm F8 Super Angulon - any good?

qdb

I'm looking at buying a 75mm lens for 4x5, and there is a 7mm F8

Super Angulon I have seen at a reasonable pirce used.

Most 75mm lenses are faster than this. Any comments on the quality

of this lens - asap, please.

Thanks

Quentin

For interiors, f8 is prety dark. Might be hard to focus. My Rodenstocks are f4.5. The newer Schneiders are f5.6 I believe. The newer 72mmXL has a huge image circle, but may need a center filter to minimize density falloff at the edges. Almost as expensive as the lens itself. The 77mmXL lens is huge- makes all filters very expensive. Always check out the image circle data when comparing lenses. The 75mm f8 isn't even listed in my Schneider brochure, which is already over 3 years old. You will probably have to go to the Schneider site and search the archives for image circle data on that baby

I may be confusing this lens with the 65 mm or another wide angle Schneider lens but I thought this 75 mm F8 lens was the Schneider wide angle lens that either didn't cover 4x5 or just barely covered so that no movements were possible. As I say, my recollection is very vague and I could be wrong but I'd definitely check out the coverage on the Schneider web site before buying it.

and of course John, none of those puppies are available at a "reasonable price"... :-)

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/super-angulon/data/8-75mm.html

181mm coverage at f16 - so about 2cm (just over 3/4" for those imperialists south of the border) coverage at f16, better at f22

On some cameras you are going to be scrunching your bellows up with much more than an inch movement with a 75mm anyway.

I have this lens and it's a nice little compact wide angle. Yes, f8 can be a bit dark for interiors, but it's not that bad - I've done hundreds of architectural interiors with my Nikkor 90mm f8 no problem (but then my architects seem to like lots of glass and light!).

the 75mm SA f8 does a good job imo. Small and cheap - mine was about $250 I think, in "bgn" condition (i.e. the lens was dirty... a bit of CLearsight and it was good as new - literally - not a scratch on the whole comera, glass included) - go for it. God for travelling with, for landscapes, buildings and yes, interiors.