Choose your own frame lines?

doug_hagerman

How about having the option of choosing your own set of frame lines?

If you were able to get down to two or three lenses, then it would be

nice to be able to opt out of some of the frame clutter.

Current choices are:

35 + 135 (except on 0.58 version)

50 + 75

28 + 90

If you had, say, only 28, 35, and 75 lenses, then you could eliminate

lots of finder clutter.

Another possibility is to have the 24 bring up the 35 + 135 set of

lines, but opt for a 24 + 35 set instead. Then you could have 24, 28,

50. There are lots of ways to juggle this around...

All it would take is a routine repair operation and a way to make the

masks. Are they stamped? Cut by a laser?

Doug:

I've heard that the M masks were originally film-based, like a black kodalith negative with unexposed areas for the lines, but at some point not too long ago became laser-cut metal sheets. But either could be true or untrue - I haven't operated on my cameras to find out. 8^)

The 35/135 combo doesn't bother me - they are so widely separated and the 135 'corners' are so vestigial. Same for 90/28 on the M4-P (at least when I HAD a 28) - although I wish Leica could have kept the M3/4/2/4-2-type 90 frame - it defines the corners much better.

My M4/M4-2 don't have 75 frames, and if I actually used a 50 they are certainly nicer. Supposedly, though, the 50 frames are actually more accurate for 75 framing at long distances than the 'real' 75 lines, so it's kinda nice they are paired if you use a 75 - use the 75 lines for under 3 meters and the 50 lines beyond.

Don't know why Leica didn't add 24 lines in the .58 body when they introduced it - since the 135 lines were eliminated anyway, you'd still only have a pair (24/35).

This topic comes up from time to time. The most usual advice is to have Don Goldberg remove any unwanted frame lines.

You might be able to modify the 24 to bring up the 35/135 framelines, as you suggest. You can certainly remove the 135 frameline. (Actually, there isn't one on the .58 finder, is there?) But to add a 24mm frameline would call for making a new mask. Not impossible, but someone would have to set up the production for it.

I think the reason Leica doesn't provide a 24mm frame on the .58 finder might be that the lens would encroach too unreasonably into the finder.

Bob Fleischman

Andy - I had Leica USA replace the frame lines in my M4 several years ago with the M2 framelines. The 50mm is larger, and the 90mm has corners! That's why I still use our M4, rather than a later series.

BTW: My spouse (who hogs our M7, and used to hate our M6 framelines, HATES the 75mm lines in the 50mm framelines of the M7.

The 50mm is my primary lens. (I've got four of'em.) At the risk of sounding whiny, I don't like the intrusive 75mm frame lines on my M6. The M3 viewfinder, as well as the M2, are a pleasure to use----totally uncluttered, sold frame lines. Can the 75 frame lines be removed? Does Leica perform this service? Thanks in advance for the info.

Dennis

Dennis,

I too am a big fan of the 50mm lens. A few months ago I e-mailed Leica USA and asked them if the 75mm framelines could be removed from my M6. They responded, no! I somehow don't believe it and/or would certainly want a technical reason as to why. Anyone else know why?

Arturo