kelly_foster4

<p>Hi I am new. I cant believe the amazing photos on this site. Hopefully one day I will be able to take pics like pretty much all of the people on here. <br>

I got a Nikon D60 this past fall and once in awhile I get a nice crisp photo but most of the time I feel like they seem to have a film covering the clarity. I want them to be crisp and clear like most of the ones on here. I have no idea what I am doing. I have fiddled with my editing but I never seem to get what I want. Is there a standard setting that is widely used? I know nothing about my camera settings and I am having a hard time grasping the whole concept of it all. Is it my camera or is it just me? </p>

<p>Dear Kelly,<br>

Your question is a bit broad, and therefor kind of hard to answer. So, I'll try breaking it down in parts, hopefully in the right chunks to answer parts of your question.<br>

<br>

Not knowing about camera settings and the whole concept; honestly that is the first part to address. Try a photocourse, online or in real life (and beware: many courses nowadays focus on editing photos: not that course, but one really with camera in hand). Alternatively or additionally, look up the book <i>Understanding Exposure</i> by Bryan Peterson, which is a very accessible introduction to the vital settings existing on any camera.<br>

<br>

Editing is with digital photos often the proverbial dot on the i. It can lift a picture to better quality, but it cannot make a bad shot good - that's why it is best to first focus on getting grips with photography in general. There is no standard setting that works for most scenarios. Of course there are good and helpful tips - if we know which program you use for editing. Without knowing the program, it's a bit a guess.<br>

<br>

The crips look you see in many photos can be due to a number of things. It may be editing of the picture, it can also be the lens. With regards to your own picture having some film over them, it's best to post an example, or link to one. Maybe the photos just need a touch of work in an editing program, maybe it is due to something in the camera; it's hard to tell.</p>

<p>Hi Kelly, & Welcome to PN,</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"Is it my camera or is it just me?"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You will find much good advice and knowledge on the forums here, but with your question I can tell you that most will tell you that it's not the camera or equipment that makes for "good photography."</p>

<p>As Wouter mentioned, courses help but many times you already have a valuable "learning tool" in the User's manual that came with your camera.<br>

Many User's manuals will describe what aperture, shutter speed, depth of field, etc., etc., are, and how to obtain them with your camera. The aforementioned is the "basis" for controlling light, and basically light is what makes the good photograph along with the individuals composition etc., etc. The manual will help with many basics to get you on your way with your photography.<br>

Best wishes,<br>

Jim J.</p>

<p>Click on the learning tab at the top of these forums and explore all of the info there, it's a good start. I also recommend Understanding Exposure, and a book specific to your camera, like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Nikon-Digital-Photography/dp/1598635778/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272227697&sr=8-1">David Busch's Nikon D60 Guide to Digital SLR Photography</a>. The camera-specific book will go beyond the user manual to help you decide when to use those settings, not just how. Combining that with Understanding Exposure, and you'll have a good start to taking great pictures. </p>

<p>Hi Kelly,<br>

Better Photo (<a href="http://www.betterphoto.com">www.betterphoto.com</a>) has a class that might be just what you need if you can afford to do it. Here's the link, and if you click in the left column where it says "course outline", it will give you a good idea of what the lessons will be:<br>

<a href="http://www.betterphoto.com/courseOverview.asp?cspID=99">http://www.betterphoto.com/courseOverview.asp?cspID=99</a><br>

Another option is the Understanding Exposure class that goes along with the book others have mentioned. It's at <a href="http://www.ppsop.com">www.ppsop.com</a> (I love their classes!), and here's the link to that one:<br>

<a href="http://www.ppsop.com/unex.aspx">http://www.ppsop.com/unex.aspx</a><br>

If you can budget for either of these, it will take you a long way in less time than trying to figure it all out on your own. As long as you're disciplined and really work the lessons, I think you'll really enjoy it!</p>

<p>Kelly,<br />With your camera (tool), you can develop a much stronger comfort or confidence level by doing the following:</p>

<ul>

<li>First, learn each chapter in the manual until you are comfortable opening the manual to a page while sittting with a friend (and the camera), and explaining what each feature does, and when each feature would be useful. This step takes time!</li>

<li>Second, devote a weekend to carrying your camera around everywhere, before you go out, sit with the camera turned on, and without taking pictures, review every button and knob for its intended purpose, and then go out & shoot dozens of pictures. Eventually you'll learn to note on paper, or remember camera settings that you prefer for a type of subject, lighting, background, or situation.</li>

</ul>

<p>Study/review basics of composition as others have mentioned, rule of thirds, subject placement, camera angle, and other topics. Choose a favorite category for the summer, such as landscapes, buildings, or street photography and practice. Give your photography time to develop, have fun, and take lots of pictures!</p>

<p>Hi Kelly,<br>

As others have said, the manual is the key. Read it several times and then read once more for good measure. A DSLR is rather difficult to use if you don't know much about the settings as they can be unforgiving. A point a shoot would often take better pictures fully automated in my opinion. The basics of photography could be mastered by mastering light. You need to read a little about photographic light. All the variables in your camera provide ways of capturing that light. <br>

It might be an idea to think of a project. Lets say you want to take pictures of your friend. Now read up on portrait photography within this site. Small steps at a time and always refer to the manual and check results! Good luck.</p>

<p>Yes, it's just you, and no, there's nothing wrong with your brain except information overload. One little-mentioned secret is learning to ignore all the stuff your manual tells you about all the doodads that you aren't interested in at this point on your learning curve. Look for PDFs of your manual on the manufacturer's web site, download them, crib the parts you want to actually use with a screen grabber, and print them out for an on-the-spot reference.<br>

There are a gazillion ways to take pictures that don't look the way you'd like them to, and as many reasons pictures can be "unclear." If you post a problem picture in the Digital Darkroom Forum, a host of Photoshop mavens are available to fix it and tell you how they did it, or moan and tell you what you needed to do in-camera to create an editable file. Likewise, it's possible to post a reference to a particular picture--not, for reasons of copyright restrictions, the picture itself--and ask "How did he do that?" Be aware that some of the answers you get may be right, and some may be merely creative.</p>