Nikon closeup lens

kent_garland

<p>Welcome, Kent.<br /> What you seek is a beginners guide to Macro Photography. There are an abundance of articles, online tutorials and books on this subject. It is a lot to cover in such a broad question. Would be really advantageous to peruse some of the wonderful threads and discussions here already:<br /> http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Gm9V<br /> Search other threads here at photo.net and you will find lots of answers.<br /> <br /> What you choose to spend is up to you and generally the larger the focal length of the lens, speed & quality of the lens, the higher the price. Generally range is from $100-800 depending on what you are truly looking for and if you want 1:1 quality. (read all of the articles for more info --- for the budget minded the Sigma, Tokinas and Tamrons all make decent glass for Macro)<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

<p>The new 85mm f/3.5 DX Micro-Nikkor is a great lens for the money. You can't use it on FX format bodies, but it will work great with your D3000. <br>

It's $499 at Adorama... about half the price of the 105mm Micro that works on FX bodies.</p>

<p>Good luck finding the right lens<br>

RS</p>

<p>I doubt a D3000 user is looking for a 500-dollar lens, although maybe you are...</p>

<p>You could get a used 55mm f3.5 AI lens. It's GREAT for flowers! It does NOT go all the way to 1:1 without an extension tube, but again, for flowers, you don't need that in my experience.</p>

<p>You have no AF or metering, but for flowers with a micro, you don't need either. Remember, they aren't moving. Under $150.00! Better than any add-on close-up lens with your kit. But watch out. It'll become your favorite lens!</p>

I'm finding the humble 35f2 a great asset in this regard. It does not offer real macro but is very handy for flowers and

stuff, as the OP requested. Can anyone comment on the 35f1.8 in this regard, it would be more functional with the D3000.

<p>Kent,<br>

The 18-55 focuses pretty darn close at 55mm. Try it. If you want to go larger, you can add a + diopter to either lens and keep the cost down.</p>

<p>The Nikon "T" (3T, 4T, 5T, 6T) filters are discontinued, but can be found sometimes at various places. The 3 & 4T are 52mm and will mate up to your 18-55 perfectly.</p>

<p>The 3/4/5/6 T filters, last I looked, went for too much money on eBay, demonstrating the economic argument that winning an auction means losing, since you just paid more than anyone else thought the item was worth. If you have some patience, you can find these at KEH at a price better than eBay will offer. You'll need to check every day (bookmark the page) because they don't last. But the price is better.</p>

<p>The 3/4/5/6 T filters, last I looked, went for too much money on eBay, demonstrating the economic argument that winning an auction means losing, since you just paid more than anyone else thought the item was worth. If you have some patience, you can find these at KEH at a price better than eBay will offer. You'll need to check every day (bookmark the page) because they don't last. But the price is better.</p>