Play in FDn Focus Rings

frederick_muller

<p>Hi, anybody notice slight play in older FDn focus rings? I'm looking at a used lens that shows play of maybe a millimeter or so in the ring. Does not seem to affect focus, though. That is, once focus is set, it's firm. It just takes play of a millimeter before one actually gets the focus moving, then play of that same millimeter back once focus is set. </p>

<p>This is not common in helical focusing models, if it really is as much as 1 mm or so. Cam focusing lenses, like most of the telephotos will exhibit the problem to a greater degree. Depending on the particular lens model, I can tell you the likely cause. It may be fixable, but I wouldn't know the cost, as I do my own FD system repairs when possible.</p>

<p>This topic has come up before. Some of the New FD lenses have a plastic guide on the rails which the helicoid turns on. I have noticed this myself. Play in breech lock lenses is very uncommon. So far all of my New FD lenses which had this problem and which sere serviced no longer have the problem. There were some exceptions when it came to the L lenses and some long telephotos but in general I find the breech lock lenses to be better made. Some lenses, like the 24/2 and the 100/2 were only made in the New FD mount so you don't have choices there. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Take it to a qualified camera technician, what would be a simple ten minute job for him could be a disaster for you , I just had a FD lens that was made in 1971 that I'm very fond of CLAd, it came back like new and as smooth as silk, it cast about £60 ($89 US) to completely strip clean all the lens elements replace all the lubricants Re- collimate the elements to the correct datum line, and re assemble , it should now be good for another almost forty years, I wish I was.</p>