Olympus Pen 1/2 Frame: Transport Problem? Slippage...

fi_rondo1

<p>I started having trouble with, what someone told me was a transport problem. I load my film, shoot, and the frames either advance or they don't. When they do, they uniformly stop at shot 16 or 17 and the rest of the film is not exposed.</p>

<p>If anyone has any idea what the problem is and how to resolve it, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot...</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I have a 1/2 frame pen purchased new by my father for £16.00 in the late 60's. (About a weeks wage.) It has been worked hard and although now rarely used it is in perfect condition.<br>

On Olympus slr cameras - to rewind the film a tiny knob must be turned through 90degs. On subsequent use of the winding lever this knob clicks back positively- if it doesn't it can be manually turned back. On the pen camera a button is pressed to allow rewinding of the film (or to allow purposeful double exposures.) The button pops back when the film winder is used. Unfortunately when the button is 'pressed' it returns almost as far as when it is in the 'non pressed' position - this makes it impossible to see if the winder is engaged. further more - pulling it doesn't help.<br>

I can't remember who told me but I formed the habit many years ago of always placing my left index finger on the rewind knob when 'winding on'. (I find myself sub-conciously 'looking' for the knob with my finger on my digital slr!)<br>

If the rewind knob doesn't turn as you 'wind on' - the clutch that should make the film advance is disengaged and you won't move the film to the next frame. Try the following ... Finish winding on (to 'set' the shutter). Put the lens cap on or cover the lens and fire the shutter. Try 'flicking' the release button; fick the base of the camera with your finger nail and generally do anything you can to release the internal clutch. Try winding-on again remembering to check that the rewind knob is turning. <br>

I suspect that a tiny spring inside the film advance capston has become too tired to do its job - maybe the camera wants to retire. .... Good luck.</p>