Would you be offended by a "guest" photographer?

rebecca_chavez

<p>David, I certainly agree that a photographer should offer a fair portrayal of their ability to produce the results they can provide. If they use equipment that prevents them from producing the results the client bargained for, that's certainly a legitimate concern.</p>

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>William W.<br>

I did not mean to imply sarcasm or sourness at all. You are also correct that I did not ask for opinions of my situation. Not sure what you think I am slinging at you. I didn't mean to sling anything at anybody.<br>

I just wanted to say that I went to my sons wedding as a total amateur with my camera and didn't even consider my picture taking infringing on the paid photographer doing his job. I have actually only been to two weddings in my life. My brothers and my sons. I was military and often deployed. Despite this, I should have known better.<br>

After reading many of the posts, (opinions) I thought about how inconsiderate I was. Obviously I did realize it at the wedding, felt like a jerk, and put my gear away. <br>

I didn't break my gear out because the pro had a point and shoot. I just wanted to take some pics as most people do at any family event, especially a wedding. I will still take my own pics in the future.<br>

And as I said, after reading the posts on this subject, I now know better and will not get in the photographers way. Should have been obvious, I just wasn't thinking.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks for the advice.<br>

First- yes it was the bride that asked me, but the photographer knows as well and he is really a good guy and is exited I want to learn and would be more than willing to give me advice and I would be helping him set up etc, and he is also getting paid a set price so I wouldn't have to worry about all that.<br>

But when I asked him about giving her the cd he was on the fence about that part.<br>

It wouldnt hurt him at all and neither the bride or the photographer would compair my shots to his.<br>

But!<br>

I'm basically worried that the people she shows them to might.<br>

I'm not planning on doing any paid gigs for a few years when I'm comfortable in knowing I can deliver not just good shots but great ones, and even then not weddings.<br>

But in a small town who knows, people could remember and opt not to use me because of it.<br>

I'm just scared to put my name to any photo's I take until they are at a level I can be very proud of, maybe ego idk. (well besides on here or to other photographers for advice)<br>

The only reason I was considering doing it is for the experiance in lighting, posing etc and I have to admit that the thought of having around 300 people all dressed nice with their hair and makeup done as free models didn't sound too bad.<br>

But after reading this and really thinking about it I, decided to pass this one up, if I didn't need to give a cd to her it might be different idk, but sounds like either way it would be more trouble than what it would be worth in experiance.<br>

Since this is a small town and not too much here, Think I'm just going to join a group in Dallas and learn that way, you pay a monthy fee and twice a month have shoots on locations and in studio with professional models and all I would need to bring is my camera, everything else is provided and there is newbs like me as well as pro's and they all give advice etc and you keep your photo's, so sounds like a win win even at the two hour drive to get there.<br>

Thank you again for the advice.</p>

<p>Scott, I totally misinterpreted one of the meanings of your post, sorry for that. It was not obvious (to me) that you were just thinking out loud.</p>

<p>As you might note by my previous post, I thought you did nothing improper, by taking the Photos at your Son's Wedding - in fact it was indeed useful for you and your Family, that you did.</p>

<p>Thank you for so promptly clearing up my misunderstanding -`again, please accept my apology for same</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>Hi Rebecca,<br>

I am totally new here, have been lurking around for a while but only joined officially today! As a part time wedding photographer myself, I woul not be upset by your presense unless I kept bumping into you, or your flash was interfering with shots I was trying to get. When I'm at a wedding, sometimes I feel like I'm a fighting papparazzi trying to elbow in and get the best angle. The couple is paying me, so it is my duty to get the best shot I can. If it gets too ridiculous, I usually strike up a friendly conversation with the guest shooter, and politely ask that he try not to be over my shoulder, directly in front of me during major happenings (like cake cutting) or opposite me (b/c then he is flashing right into my lens). If you remember to be considerate, I'm sre it won't be a problem!</p>

<p>When I am a guest at a wedding, I leave my cameras at home. Period. Why? I've seen a new trend and it bugs me. I've done weddings where everyone, literally, has had a camera. I even did one where some guests had the same camera that I did! Ok, so the whole lot of them were professional photographers or at least serious amateurs, but think about this: If <strong>you</strong> were getting married would you want your whole wedding album to be full of pictures of everyone taking pictures? Really? That would drive me up a wall. I don't want to shoot pictures where even the groomsmen and bridesmaids are shooting while I am trying to shoot them. But sometimes you can't help it since they all have cameras. Why does everyone need to do this? Doesn't the wedding mean anything anymore other than a photo op? I'm not screaming here, but I would just prefer to enjoy a wedding without trying to capture every moment. After all, I get paid to do that at other people's weddings. If I'm a guest I want to drink, eat, dance, and chat with people. I want to watch friends get married, be happy, and not worry about how to "get the shot".<br>

Maybe that's an antiquated opinion but geez, it's getting crazy with the paparazzi wedding guests out there.</p>