What you do with your Street photos?

timothy_agee

I have been doing professional model/fashion photography for years. Now I am wanting to do some street work and other types. I am

really wanting to get shots for Stock agencies. Can Non-released photos be sold for Editorial use? In most cases I do get a release when I

can to them. I use a wheelchair and often do beach photos. Sometimes I canLt get to the people. So what do most of you do with your

street photos and what can be done with them?

I appreciate any help and tips you have.

Timothy Agee

<p>How does the wheelchair work out in the sand? This is interesting ground, no pun intended. I just wondered how your subjects feel towards you shooting from a wheelchair. Is height ever an issue?<br>

Model release, to my knowledge is essential if you are going to make money out of the picture for stock purposes.</p>

Well I use the wheelchair some, which does not do well in sand. I live at Daytona Beach so I can drive my car there. I

also have a three wheel motor scooter I use too. The scooter works best and keeps more free. I also don't look like I am

hiding. So it's not so creepy guy taking pictures. I just moved down here and starting to take pictures. First I wanted the

beach police to get to know me and let them know that I was a photographer. I think it works better that way. If someone

does thinks something is up and calls them they can say they know me and ease the person.

Height is different from the wheelchair. It actually. Sets my shots apart though. It's a different angle then most. I am

working on trying to really get shots at strange angles. I know the agencies have tons of photos all alike from a standing

position. I have to stick out of the pack. So I am going to try some ground shots and other angles to offer something

different.

<p>I would consult an attorney in your area in such matters as these. Following any advice any of us give you, no matter how well intended could have dire consequences for you further down the road. Think of it as a necessary business expense. While you're with the attorney, perhaps he/she can also provide you with written statements detailing state and local laws pertaining to public photography; just in case someone tries to hassle you about it.</p>

<p>The individual stock agencies will have information about "releases" (and other photo submission requirements) on their web sites.</p>

<p>You have probably already seen this:</p>

<p>http://asmp.org/tutorials/property-and-model-releases.html</p>

<p>and this:</p>

<p>http://www.krages.com/lhp.htm</p>

<p>Having said all that...I would follow Mark Todd's advice.</p>

<p>Cheers! Jay</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>To the best of my knowledge, you only need a model release form if your subject is clearly identifiable/ recognizable in the image AND you're using that likeness ("likeness" here is a legal term - it means their image) to promote something commercially - a product, an event, a service or in a commercial/business presentation (such as company reports, sales presentations, etc) - stuff for which stock photography is usually used.</p>

<p>If you sell them to newspapers or magazines as article illustrations, then the image use is considered "editorial" and you do not need a model release form.</p>

<p>Having said that, whenever I think an image might end up "for sale" (either through stock or through prints), I usually try to ask for a release (albeit with limited success where I live - people are naturally suspicious of photographers - making them mostly rude, confrontational and "messy"...:-( ).</p>

<p>As to what else I do with my images... put them on my website as part of my portfolio I guess. Print and frame some of them for myself or friends and family.</p>