Ugh.....trying to decide upon a tripod

tom_dwyer

<p>Hi Everyone,<br>

I recently jettisoned my Bogen 3021 legs w/ 3029 head. I found it way too heavy to use anymore for backpacking. Does anyone one know what that combo weighs? - I can't find anywhere. I'd like to compare that weight number to whatever I ultimately buy - just to make sure I don't come away w/ something too similar in weight.<br>

Also, any tripod and head recommendations for the following setup would be very much appreciated: D700 - heaviest lens is about 3.5 lbs? I want to spend $200-250 (used is OK) and I'm about 6'1". I'll use it primarily for nature/scenic pics while hiking/backpacking.<br>

Thanks.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bogen 3021 legs w/ 3029 head...does anyone one know what that combo weighs?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not exactly but somewhere in the vicinity of 10 pounds. To get something lighter, you will have to stay away from aluminum and look at carbon fiber, magnesium or basalt - and you will find that you are running against your budget limit fairly quickly. Have a look at the Flashpoint tripods that adorama sells.</p>

<p>Hey man, im 6'1" as well, im also using a nikon D700 with a number of different lenses.<br>

I currenly have the Manfrotto 190proxb , with manfrotto 498rc head and i love it.<br>

it weighs about 5-6lbs, not really that heavy for a big guy, its also very sturdy.</p>

<p>I wanted the same thing you're after; something light but exceptionally sturdy and reasonably priced. I purchased a Feisol CT 3441 a couple of years ago, and have been very happy with it. Weighs 2.2 pounds, collapses to less than 17 inches. It is carbon fiber, like the Gitzo line, but without the same cost. I had to order mine from Taiwan but I see now they have a North American website (www.feisol.net). I'm 6'2" and the tripod has plenty of height. I shoot a D300 with an 18-200, and it handles this combination with ease. They are selling the 3441 with a CB-40 ball head and bag for $419--a little over your budget but as others have commented, there is really nothing on the market worth buying in the $250 range that I have found. Good luck.</p>

<p>I hike with a D700 w/L bracket and 28-75mm f2.8 Tamron. I have successfully used a small Gitzo Basalt GT-921 with G1077m mini head for up to 2 sec. exposures. Weight is 1lb 8oz total. I can lose 4 oz by removing the center section and top plate. It is short and was expensive. My taller Gitzo GT-0530 with Induro head is 2lbs 10 ounces and taller, purchased used was about $350 for the setup. I may remove the center section on this to get lower and lighter. Both pack short. If I am going up and long, overnight I use the 921. Other wise the 0530 works better for a range of lenses. I only extend the legs when needed and never extend the center column. My bigger Gitzo carbon plus head comes in a 6lbs 11oz. Depending on height and focal length needs you can save a lot of weight while using the heavy D700.</p>

<p>I've been finding that tripod load specs seem to be very optimistic. I use a D300 plus either Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 + TC-17e or Nikon 80-400mm. Not only are longer lenses much heavier than something like a 28-75mm, they also magnify any little shakes and vibrations in the tripod. I recently bought a Benro Travel Angel A-069 tripod for an upcomming trip to Iceland. The BH website rated it for about 9 pounds. My camera + lens weighs about 5 pounds. The tripod was very unsteady even on my hard tile kitchen floor. I took it outside and watched it shake in an 8 mph breeze. This just wasn't going to cut it so I ordered the A-269 which supposedly supports 24 pounds. (I'm using AcraTech head on it, the included head was trash.) It is adequate, but just barely. Nowhere NEAR as solid as my Gitzo 1325, rated for about 28 pounds. When you start putting longer lenses on a tripod, the tripod needs to be very solid or you're going to lose a lot of sharpness due to tiny vibrations. Carbon fiber is a lot better than aluminum at stopping vibrations, but I'm highly skeptical you're going to find something for $250 that will do what you want. Buy a good tripod/head once and be done with it. My tripod first had a F100 on it, then D80, now D300. It will most likely have at least three more cameras on it in the years to come. Cameras come & go. You won't find many Gitzo 1325 etc. tripods on the used market because the owners buy them and keep them for years, if not decades. Once you own one of these things, you will quickly understand why.<br />Kent in SD</p>

<p>The Bogan 3021 weighs 5 3/4 lbs. The 3029 head weighs 2 1/4 lbs. This from an old catalogue.</p>

<p>I also recommend a <a href="http://www.feisol.com/">Feisol carbon fiber tripod</a> to replace it. Unfortunately, it looks like they have gone up quite a bit in price during the last month, or so. However, they make an outstanding product. More bang-for-the buck than Gitzo or Manfrotto, in my opinion.</p>

<p>Furthermore, based upon the capacity of the Bogan 3021 you wish to replace, I would recommend the <a href="http://www.feisol.net/feisol-threesection-tripod-ct3301-with-tripod-p-82.html">Feisol 3301</a> with center column head as a good replacement. I have this tripod in the <a href="http://www.feisol.net/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=3401&x=0&y=0">four leg-section</a> model and love it for travel. It is very steady and fits in a standard airline carry-on bag.</p>

<p>I will second the recommendation of Manfrotto. I have a Nikon D300 and it's rock solid on the Manfrotto 055CXPro4 tripod with the 468 ball head. The tripod is carbon fiber and the whole unit together is very light weight (under five pounds). I looked at the Gitzo and couldn't see any difference other than the price.</p>