NYIP Questions

chuck_hayden

<p>I am thinking about joining classes at the NYIP. Can anyone provide feedback on the value of taking classes with them? Good/Bad, worth the $$.<br>

I want to take my skills to the next level...and willing to put the time and energy into it, just just trying to get the best for my $$<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>I took the pro course about eight years ago and haven't regretted it. It was excellent for learning basics and techniques. One of the main advantages is being able to do the course on your own schedule. The downside, for me at least, was the emphasis placed on the commercial aspects of photography (portrait, fashion, etc.) and much less on the artistic elements. I understand the course has changed somewhat since then with updated lesson plans and media. Check it out. NYIP has been around for 100 years, so they must be doing something right...</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I had a very bad experience with them and wouldn't recommend them. I will say that this was about six years ago, and I know that they have rewritten their material since then. The problem I had was that it was taking them anywhere from four weeks to 2-3 months to return my critiques to me, and they had every excuse under the sun for it. The material was also extremely outdated at the time, and the videos were so "campy" that I couldn't even watch them, but again I know it's been updated since.<br />Personally, I have had a much, much better experience with online classes, especially at PPSOP. Check out their class lineup. Better Photo has some good classes as well, and don't forget local community colleges in your area.</p>

<p>I have taken three courses with them. The Professional Course, which I completed in 2003, was very good and I was very satisfied. I had and have no intention of being a professional, but it was vey helpful to my progress as an amateur. It was based on film cameras. I did not experience any significant delay in receiving critiques as did Devon. Following that course, I took the Advanced Scenic and Nature" course, which, again, I thought was useful to me as an amateur. I completed this course in 2004. This course was film based too. I would recommend both, but I assume that they have changed because of the change to digital. Many of the principals (film v. digital) are the same as far as composition, etc. <br>

I completed the "Complete Digital Course in 2007. At that time, the digital camera information and the Photoshop information were both out of date. That may have changed. I did complain and was given the option of withdrawing with a refund. I was not concerned about the camera information because of my earlier training. I stayed with it because even though the Photoshop part of the course, which is a great deal of it, was based on an earlier version of Photoshop, there was plenty which was useful in my more up to date version of the program. <br>

Overall, all of the courses were useful to me, reasonably priced, and I had no problems similar to the one reported by Devon. I would check on the extent to which the digital course has been up-dated.<br>

Dave</p>

I am taking it now. They have updated the materials and the process. I think the materials are great. Very useful and

current. They will actually email a recorded critique to you now and you can download, so it doesn't take too long to get

your grades and feedback. The feedback is detailed and personal and they address every aspect of your submission. I

would recommend it.

<p>I have looked at the courses and PR material that they send out. My basic opinion is they have improved greatly from a few years ago, but they only had one direction to go. I think they are better than nothing but you would get more bang and instruction from a community college or good adult school program.<br>

I would also look at sources like http://www.lynda.com/ and http://www.kelbytraining.com/ before NYIP.</p>