Upgrade to? from XTi

<p>I have a Canon Rebel XTi and am looking to upgrade.<br>

I take a lot of family photos (I have a two year old and a one year old- action shots, of course!) but do a little of everything. I've done a few weddings and senior portraits, I love nature photography, and would love to get into panoramas, micro, and telephoto. I guess I love it all.<br>

One of my reasons for upgrading is the poor internal flash- constantly having to wait for it to recharge. I do have an external flash but when I only have a few seconds to grab the camera when the kids are doing something cute and then I get bogged up because of the flash, I get pretty frustrated.<br>

I found a forum that was discussing this issue and there is apparently an upgrade that you can get for the internal flash. Has anyone done this and what was the difference? I'd like to do this anyway since I'm keeping the xti.<br>

I also want to upgrade because I want a full-size sensor camera. I went to a photography retreat this last fall and decided that I wanted the higher quality. I HATE "jaggies!" (visible pixels)<br>

I have the standard lens (18-55mm) and a 28-135 ultrasonic is, which I love. I was also curious to see if I could interchange lenses between this camera and an upgrade.<br>

I was looking at the 7D and could afford to buy one good lens with it.</p>

<p>Suggestions?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Maybe also take a look at the T2i. Similar 18mp sensor to the 7D and controls and size similar to your XTi. Something that you are much more familiar with. For the price difference between the 7D add the T2i you could add a really good mid range zoom like the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 that would serve you very well both with taking pictures of you kids and any kind of event photography you might do. The constant 2.8 aperture and the better high ISO of the T2i would get you a lot more keepers in available light. Good luck!</p>

<p>The 7D is a great camera, but it's not a full-frame camera, which is one of the things you specified. Canon's least expensive full-frame camera is the 5D Mark II.</p>

<p>Your existing 28-135 would work fine with a full-frame camera, but the 18-55 would not work. The 18-55 would work with the 7D, however. As would the 28-135, of course.</p>

<p>Lisa,<br>

Unless you think you would use the video features of the 7D, have you considered or looked at a 50D?<br>

I've never owned any of the Rebel models, but from what I understand the move to about any of the XXD (20D,30D,40D,50D) is "significant!"<br>

Of course we are still talking about the small sensor's and not a full frame camera.<br>

Both the EF & EFs lenses will work on the small sensor bodies, but the EFs lenses will not work on a full frame body.<br>

Replacing your 18-55 (which I assume was the kit lens that you purchased with your XTi) with something like the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 AF SP XR Di II LD IF would also be a significant upgrade and much cheaper than a Canon version with the same features or at least the "full time manual focusing" like your 28-135 USM probably has.<br>

The f/2.8 aperture would allow you to do more "low or natural light" shots without depending on the onboard flash, and outdoor's would allow faster shutter speeds for when the "little ones" are in "action.</p>

<p>In either case, purchasing a new Body or Lens, I recommend considering buying used/refurbished from a reputable dealer such as B&H, and I personally don't hesitate buying used lenses from individual's off of Ebay or Craigslist and (especially the Classifieds here on PN) if they sound legit and meet my expectations.</p>

<p>Best wishes,<br>

Jim J.</p>

<p>maybe a used 5d if you want a FF canon...</p>

<p>but the 5d has no pop-up flash, and recycle times with any pop-up wont be tremendously faster on a different model. so you might as well get either a fast prime or get used to using external flash. also, the 28-135 will work on the 5d; the 18-55 EF-S wont.</p>

<p>otherwise, the next big step up is a 50d or 7d...the 7d might be overkill. a t2i will give you a resolution bump at an inexpensive price point...the more expensive cameras have better AF, among other things.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>One of my reasons for upgrading is the poor internal flash</p>

</blockquote>

<p>None of the other EOS bodies, even those higher up the price scale (or any other dslr on the market) have a significantly better internal flash. Only external flashes provide a better solution - you seem to already have one? You'll just have to keep it on the camera more often, I'm afraid...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>there is apparently an upgrade that you can get for the internal flash</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Haven't heard of anything like this that would be something else than an external flash</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I also want to upgrade because I want a full-size sensor camera. I went to a photography retreat this last fall and decided that I wanted the higher quality. I HATE "jaggies!" (visible pixels)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, first of all, none of the Canon full size cameras have an internal flash<br>

Secondly, how are you looking at your pictures that you end up seeing "jaggies"? Is it prints, or on the screen? Because a full frame camera won't solve that... they have a bit more resolution than an Xti, but not much more... it sounds like you are magnifying too much or using a poor printing technique? An example picture would be useful.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was also curious to see if I could interchange lenses between this camera and an upgrade</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You may not be able to interchange the 18-55mm with a full-frame camera, but you probably won't need a full frame camera.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was looking at the 7D and could afford to buy one good lens with it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The 7D is not a full frame camera.<br>

I suggest before you spend a lot of cash you spend some time clarifying the issues you are having with your current setup. It doesn't sound like any of the more expensive cameras will solve your questions - if I understand things correctly.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>[[it doesn't sound like any of the more expensive cameras will solve your questions - if I understand things correctly.]]<br>

I agree with Daniel. It sounds like you are caught up in the "new equipment will solve all my problems" mentality when the problems really are due to lack of understanding or experience. (This is not an insult...everyone is always learning.)</p>

<p>I'd recommend using the money you would have spent on a new camera to pay for some continuing eduction classes at your local community college or for area photography workshops. Once you have a better understanding of photography, of digital photography in particular, and a good what your camera is doing in order to capture those images, you'll be able to make more informed and (potentially) less costly decisions about hardware.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 months later...

<p>I have since learned that the 7d isn't a full frame and was a bit red-faced. Most of my question assumed that it was. I came upon the 7d by searching "full sensor" cameras in Google and it came up in the results.<br>

I'd like to clarify that I'm not caught up in the "new equipment will solve all my problems." I am very comfortable with my Rebel but would like to expand my horizons. Unfortunately, I sounded more inexperienced than I really am because of the assumption that the 7d was full frame. Please don't judge my work by what I have on here- it's amazing what I've learned in a few years' time. Someday I'll post better examples of what I've done.<br>

R.T., the 5D Mark II is the very camera that I am looking to purchase. Until I can afford the sky, I would be very happy. I'm going to treat myself to a fun piece of glass- fisheye- too. Jim, I'm going to take your advice and see if I can find a body that's refurbished. I'm going to check out B&H, as you suggested.<br>

The poor internal flash is something that I'll just have to deal with or like Eric said, get used to having my external on there. The upgrade that I was talking about was with software for the camera. I found a website that was talking about it and apparently you have to buy the software but it will speed up the flash recharge? Maybe I'll look into it more but I have to prioritize.<br>

I'm going to try some different things with printing. Daniel, you hit the nail on the head. That's my biggest problem. I'm going to get some calibrating software first and then see what direction I need to take. I have an inkjet and have recently been told that laser is the way to go? Right now I have an HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One and I hate it. Maybe the calibration will fix my problems? I use Photoshop CS2 and recently was told to ensure that zoom is at 25, 50, 100, 200%, etc.</p><div>00Wkzn-255029584.thumb.jpg.4d58082f110cf0a1951717f03c3d734d.jpg</div>