Helping a professional photographer

<p>I have been into photography for about 30 year but just recently got the bug again after being away for many years. I have been considering contacting some professionals in my area asking to assist them, obviously at no charge, just to be around and learn from them. Maybe some studio work or weddings, anything to just pick up some hints. I have no intention of going on to be anything more than weekend warrior taking photographs for my on enjoyment. No professional aspirations. Do you think this would be welcomed, and what approach should I take with the Pros? Any suggestions would be great.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I think it might depend on where you are. Here in CA the State limits opportunities for volunteer employees out of a concern for an illegal workplace exploitation of employee labor. It isn't too far fetched for an employer in a laissez faire setting to reason that there is no point in paying for the things he can get for nothing. A volunteer can do no work the employer already pays someone to perform for him. (Family members in a small business setting are an exception in many instances.)</p>

<p>It would be easier for you to set a rate for yourself and work as an independent contractor instead.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The March issue of PDN magazine just had a story about this, with all the legal formalities. maybe you can get a copy of this magazine still?</p>

<p>Better, I found the story on their website PDN, Photo District News:<br /><a href="http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/esearch/e3iedf10d16b35b1c7abd7a4e0ed8279e7a">http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/content_display/esearch/e3iedf10d16b35b1c7abd7a4e0ed8279e7a</a></p>

<p>Now this is about interns, and also tells a little about volunteer labor.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses and the link. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of mentoring. Learning the nuances of the work. Maybe an email to these pros describing my goal of just watching more that engaging might help....taking some extra shots just to be there.<br>

I guess it can't hurt.</p>

<p>I'm in MI and we don't face the same limits that Albert described. If someone came to me and requested my help in the way you did, I would be more likely to help them if I knew they actually wanted to pursue photography professionally. (Is it possible that you are secretly wanting to pursue this but either feel unsure of yourself or are afraid that asking another photographer might be viewed as a threat? After all, your post says "Helping A *Professional* Photographer.)</p>

<p>Personally, when I hear a weekend warrior wanting professional guidance, I suspect that they really would like to be in business at a later point or they're not being completely honest about what they want. In this case, I feel my time would be better spent mentoring an aspiring professional who is clear about their goals. I think most photographers feel MORE threatened by a photographer who says they're a "weekend warrior" and later tries to charge bottom dollar for a wedding or portrait "here and there." Those are the folks who undercut the market. Personally, I'm happy to help to help someone who comes to me (even in my own neighborhood) who says "I want to do what you do." </p>

<p>I mentor a lot of professional / aspiring professional photographers and we focus primarily on business (as well as the shooting / post-process to a lesser extent). In rare cases, I even subcontract to some of the local folks who I have helped along. To me, teaching both the business and the creative is what makes mentoring fun. Watching someone grow their business is very rewarding. Teaching just the shooting to someone who has no intention of taking it anywhere would be boring and (no offense) I would see this person as a bit of a drag on my time. </p>

<p>I'm only one person. I'm sure there are a lot of photographers out there looking for free help in exchange for a teaching opportunity. Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find the right fit. Just be clear (with yourself first and, of course, with the mentor) about your goals and expectations. The best mentor relationships usually develop out of friendships so just keep hanging around photographers and I'm sure you'll find someone willing to take you under their wings.</p>

<p>In the meantime, keep having fun! Cheers :)</p>

<p>Karen Lippowiths</p>

<p>Chuck,<br>

From my perspective as a studio owner for the last 40 years, extra people just " hanging around" to watch what I do in a portrait session is very distracting for both myself and the individual being photographed. People unfamiliar with my facilities can trip over things ( liability ), move things out of their line of sight ( rearrange my lighting ), and the list can go on. They constantly move around which causes my subjects eyes to follow that movement. When the shutter is pressed, the eyes of the subject are not where I want them. High school students are always looking at the parents wanting silent approval. There is only one view of a subject that is correct and that view is what my camera sees, not someone standing 45 degrees off to the side suggesting I fix something which I already know will not be seen by the lens. I often resort to handing such people a reflector or something and telling them: " you are now a light stand and light stands do not talk." It rarely helps as humans feel the need to talk. Then there is the issue of communication. I do communicate with my subject sometimes as to why I am positioning them the way I do, but I really do not want to have a conversation with an extra person while I am doing a portrait session. It is rude and my subject is paying for my undivided attention. Commercial photographers with paid models is another story. Everyone expects art directors, make-up stylists, wardrobe folks, etc to be running around. I am sure your heart is in the right place, but I have visited other portrait studios and even when " invited to sit in on a session, " I always decline.<br>

Regarding mentoring, I have had a number of great mentors and I thank all of them for their words of wisdom. For me to be a mentor, I would never respond to an e-mail. Old fogey, you bet! Those whom I mentored with, I sought them out because they were doing something I liked and respected. <br>

Now, how do you proceed ? In my opinion, the best place to find someone for a mentor for portraits, is to attend the meetings of professional photographic associations. Most of the states in the US have them. Here in Illinois there are two that meet every month and two that meet semi-annually. When I first started attending, I couldn't get enough. I had to take days away from the studio, drive long distances, but it was always worth it.<br>

I wish you the best.<br>

David R. Lewis </p>

<p>Chuck,<br>

From my perspective as a studio owner for the last 40 years, extra people just " hanging around" to watch what I do in a portrait session is very distracting for both myself and the individual being photographed. People unfamiliar with my facilities can trip over things ( liability ), move things out of their line of sight ( rearrange my lighting ), and the list can go on. They constantly move around which causes my subjects eyes to follow that movement. When the shutter is pressed, the eyes of the subject are not where I want them. High school students are always looking at the parents wanting silent approval. There is only one view of a subject that is correct and that view is what my camera sees, not someone standing 45 degrees off to the side suggesting I fix something which I already know will not be seen by the lens. I often resort to handing such people a reflector or something and telling them: " you are now a light stand and light stands do not talk." It rarely helps as humans feel the need to talk. Then there is the issue of communication. I do communicate with my subject sometimes as to why I am positioning them the way I do, but I really do not want to have a conversation with an extra person while I am doing a portrait session. It is rude and my subject is paying for my undivided attention. Commercial photographers with paid models is another story. Everyone expects art directors, make-up stylists, wardrobe folks, etc to be running around. I am sure your heart is in the right place, but I have visited other portrait studios and even when " invited to sit in on a session, " I always decline.<br>

Regarding mentoring, I have had a number of great mentors and I thank all of them for their words of wisdom. For me to be a mentor, I would never respond to an e-mail. Old fogey, you bet! Those whom I mentored with, I sought them out because they were doing something I liked and respected. <br>

Now, how do you proceed ? In my opinion, the best place to find someone for a mentor for portraits, is to attend the meetings of professional photographic associations. Most of the states in the US have them. Here in Illinois there are two that meet every month and two that meet semi-annually. When I first started attending, I couldn't get enough. I had to take days away from the studio, drive long distances, but it was always worth it.<br>

I wish you the best.<br>

David R. Lewis </p>

<p>I appreciate all the candid responses and will take all the advice I can. I will look into some local photography organizations and start there meeting some fine folks. Your responses were exactly what I was looking for and the last thing I want to do is get into someones way and cost them either time or money and take them away from what they do best.<br>

Thanks again!</p>