Wide angle lens

acute

<p>Does anyone use wide angle lens for wedding photography, such as a Tokina 11-16 on a D300 body? What would be some examples of pictures taken with such a wide angle lens? Would it be too "contemporary" to employ such points of view? I like using such lens because they bring the subject up close, but they also create a different perspective, which might annoy some people. What is the general opinion as far as the wide angle approach to wedding photography?</p>

<p>Andrew, I suggest you practice with this lens and see for yourself what sort of results you'll get. I use a Sigma 10-20 at weddings but sparingly—mainly for wide shots of the church (indoors and out). If you photograph people up close using an ultrawide lens, it tends to distort them. The effect can be "interesting" for some body types, but distinctly unflattering for other body types, namely, for body types that are already on the wide side.</p>

<p>The widest lens that I use regularly is a 21mm (= 33 full-frame equivalent).</p>

<p>Will </p>

<p>I used to have that lens (The Tokina) and loved it. Its a bit slow to focus compared to the Nikon 14-24, but not bad. I liked having the perspective, especially in tight spots/venues. Yes, it does distort things although its a sacrifice I am willing to make for the ability to get some environments into the shot. Great fun for dancing and the like too.<br>

Having said this, I am only using the 14-24 for the occasional shots, preferring the 17-50 for most things. Depends on how you plan to work with it I guess, but the long end was a bit too wide for an all around wedding lens. If it had extended to 24mm, I would probably still have, and use it. I don't really use the 14-24 for weddings much, unless I want to use it on FF for a venue shot or something funky (even then I often grab my Tokina FE 10-17mm instead).</p>

<p>Horses for courses.</p>

<p>I too have the lens and love it (far better than the Canon 10-22 which is the only comparison I can make!). It isn't the type of lens that you just keep on your camera body, unless you are shooting with two bodies (which I almost always do as well). Great it tight spaces, great for creating a pano in an album by cropping out the center, and more. But you do have to learn to use the lens. I will attach a few samples.</p><div>00WGbb-237459584.jpg.bcbbb2a0222d8e8ce8686cabbdfbb97d.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for the responses. I gather, it's useful in some unique situations, but otherwise not essential. But perhaps, it also has something to do with one's personal style and approach to the art of wedding photography.</p>